Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

I just messed around with a 99 and a Spartan. The 99 is needing a clutch bushing - looks like a top hat - the balance wheel rides on it - thought I'd swipe it off the Spartan - that one is stuck fast - DH says he has a puller that might get it off with out breaking... The Spartan's take up lever rubs on the side of the machine and it's pressure bar thumb screw is stuck in the farthest up position you can get. I oiled it up and it now turns better. The 66 seems to be a real nice piece but the clutch bushing is cracked and bent. It's take up lever rubs the face plate - so I shimmed it a little - makes me wonder about Singer's tolerances. I scrubbed the bird poo off the 99 cabinet
Old 01-01-2012, 05:56 PM

Miriam,

The clutch bushing does come off rather easily using a puller, but first remove the tapered pin or screw that goes through the bushing into the mainshaft. I have removed and replaced several of these.

If I understood your previous post correctly, you are going to put the spartan into the 66's case. It won't work the 66 is full size and the spartan is 3/4 sized.

Cathy
Old 01-01-2012, 05:59 PM

Miriam,

I just reread your post. A machine with a bent and cracked clutch brushing most likely has been dropped. You may find that the mainshaft is bent. It sometimes can be straightened. I can guide you through that job if you need help.

Cathy
Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Miriam,

The clutch bushing does come off rather easily using a puller, but first remove the tapered pin or screw that goes through the bushing into the mainshaft. I have removed and replaced several of these.

If I understood your previous post correctly, you are going to put the spartan into the 66's case. It won't work the 66 is full size and the spartan is 3/4 sized.

Cathy
I messed up it is a 99 (not a 66 - they mix me up and the worst of it is I have 3 66's that also need tlc) and a Spartan and a 3/4 Alden (15 clone 3/4 size) the one screw I found in the bushing is out of the Spartan - the machine has been sitting for a time so I squirted some Triflo into all the cracks and crevices for an over night soak. They fit the cases as well as can be expected. The bentwood case has been modified - ahem - someone cut holes in the bottom to to 'make' it fit - then they added washers and rubber feet to get it up off the floor of the case. The 99 is in it for now. The Spartan is in the 99's case. Is there any way to adjust the take up lever - both had dried up oil on the side that rubs - is that the fix? The 99 wires were better condition than the Spartan so the Spartan has good wires now. The 99 will get a hand crank once the bushing transplants. I've not had to use a puller to get a bushing off in the past - pop out the pin or screw and it slides off.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

The clutch bushing is visibly bent and cracked. I'm pretty sure it was dropped before I got it - I got it for parts price. I'm not for sure the shaft is bent until I get another bushing on the end but it certainly would be no surprise if that shaft is bent. Thank you, I would be happy to find out how to fix it but just not tonight.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:22 PM

"Is there any way to adjust the take up lever - both had dried up oil on the side that rubs - is that the fix?"

Miriam,

I've broken takeup levers trying to bend them back into shape, necessitating replacements.
Is the rubbing on the body/ casting or on the faceplate? If on the body then I guess I'm saying I don't have an answer for you. If the rubbing is on the faceplate that would be easy to bend out the faceplate slightly.

Cathy
Old 01-01-2012, 07:31 PM

Default Merry Christmas to me!!!

Sending some pics of my newest acquisition! Merry Christmas to me! Can't wait to get her belted and see if she sews. I'll need some direction as to threading her, since she has no paper work.
Attached Thumbnails p1011568.jpg   p1011570.jpg   p1011571.jpg  
Old 01-01-2012, 07:33 PM

An absolutely gorgeous American. I think I'm envious.

Cathy
Old 01-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
Sending some pics of my newest acquisition! Merry Christmas to me! Can't wait to get her belted and see if she sews. I'll need some direction as to threading her, since she has no paper work.
Nice looking sewing machine and the cabinet is wonderful and will clean up really well.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:40 PM

I looked at the pics and then back at the machine and sure enough it's broken...the piece at the top of the face plate that is hanging down.... should be attached to the wire a little farther up....dang! I'll take the face plate off and see if I can get it soldered or something....maybe I'd better search for instructions, user guide or something.