Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-06-2010, 02:11 PM

Charlee, what did you say you used to clean up the cabinets? I think Murphys oil soap first and then what?
I think I have some cleaning to do since my thrift shop finds. thanks.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Oh you guys are so bad for me :shock: LOL I finally got the Sears Kenmore working and then Dad mentions his Moms machine in the basement :roll: #L796106 We dated her ... April 10 1901 She is a class 27. I told Dad she would make a GREAT summer project for is :wink: She is in rough shape , do you think she can be saved ?

The case
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81507[/ATTACH]

The machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81508[/ATTACH]

Therension area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81509[/ATTACH]

The Bobbin area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81511[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81502.jpe   attachment-81503.jpe   attachment-81504.jpe   attachment-81506.jpe   attachment-81507.jpe  

Old 07-06-2010, 04:40 PM

Sharon, I think it would be a great summer project. She looks like she just needs some elbow grease, a kerosine spa treatment and a lil tender loving care. Besides, think of all the stories you and your dad can share while you work on your gma's sewing machine. You may even be able to find some pictures of your gma and save them in one of the drawers when your done.

Miz Johnny suggested using Evaporust to clean up the rusted parts. I've used it and it does work well (i did not use it on the body).

Here's a you tube demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQZCJDBe14

I think you'll be surprised how much better she'll look and how much satisfaction you'll get from cleaning her up.

Good Luck!

Judy
Old 07-06-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Oh you guys are so bad for me :shock: LOL I finally got the Sears Kenmore working and then Dad mentions his Moms machine in the basement :roll: #L796106 We dated her ... April 10 1901 She is a class 27. I told Dad she would make a GREAT summer project for is :wink: She is in rough shape , do you think she can be saved ?
The treadle cabinet will probably clean up so well you won't believe it. The machine will clean up "good enough". If it's Grandma's machine, you have to try! We will cheer you on. It looks like a good candidate for Billy's Kerosene Spa Treatment.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

Oh fun fun fun! A red eye you said. Please share some pictures.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:30 PM

Can anyone help me date a Necchi sewing machine? Serial number is U123552. Sorry I don't have a camera so I can't post pictures.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Went thrift shop hopping today and came home with two more machines. Both in tredle cabinets. One is a Singer Red Eye (C5365359) the other is a Diamond (D49649) I am thrilled with my new additions but am thinking I need to find a 12 step program for my 'addiction'. Any idea about them, Billy?
Sorry it has taken me a while to hop on here I have a few thing going on here at the house I am having to deal with but I am here now!!

Okay lets start with the easy one here the Singer, The serial number is actually a G but sometimes after stamping millions of machines the dies wear out. your machine was allotted on April 26 1917 with 50,000 of them produced during that run.

The Diamond is a badges machine and just from not seeing it I going to say it could be a National but I really need to see photos of it so I can look at the features and tell you.

Sounds like you have a nice group of machines and I can not wait to see them!!

Billy
Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by sharon b
The treadle cabinet will probably clean up so well you won't believe it. The machine will clean up "good enough". If it's Grandma's machine, you have to try! We will cheer you on. It looks like a good candidate for Billy's Kerosene Spa Treatment.
LOL and a date with a wire brush for the plated parts that are sorta rusted including the tension assembly and the bobbin winder!

Billy
Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Billy - help! Yesterday I fiddled with the tension on my just-restored treadle and managed to sew some pretty decent stitches. I think I can improve it still further, but I have two questions.

First, does it matter what kind of belt you get? I bought mine from the local sew&vac, and it's red, not round, but works okay. Somehow I don't think it is the best type. I need to buy another one or two for the next treadle(s) that I fix up, and I want to get the right ones. I found one that claims to be the "best" on ebay - is this a good one to buy? http://cgi.ebay.com/Best-Leather-SEW...QQcmdZViewItem

Second, the treadle (where my feet go) knocks against the metal pitman and makes an unpleasant noise. The treadle and stand assembly for this machine was in such great shape that all I did was wipe the dust off. Do I need to do more maintenance on it to get rid of the noise, or am I stuck with it?
Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dunster
Billy - help! Yesterday I fiddled with the tension on my just-restored treadle and managed to sew some pretty decent stitches. I think I can improve it still further, but I have two questions.

First, does it matter what kind of belt you get? I bought mine from the local sew&vac, and it's red, not round, but works okay. Somehow I don't think it is the best type. I need to buy another one or two for the next treadle(s) that I fix up, and I want to get the right ones. I found one that claims to be the "best" on ebay - is this a good one to buy? http://cgi.ebay.com/Best-Leather-SEW...QQcmdZViewItem

Second, the treadle (where my feet go) knocks against the metal pitman and makes an unpleasant noise. The treadle and stand assembly for this machine was in such great shape that all I did was wipe the dust off. Do I need to do more maintenance on it to get rid of the noise, or am I stuck with it?
Oh Dunster welcome to the world of treadles!! Yes they make lots of neat noises and clunks and clinks! Thats what makes them so wonderful.

If you want take some sewing machine oil and see if you cant oil all of the points that metal touches metal and it should quieten down a bit. But it will still have a few clunks and and clinks.

As for the belts they look pretty good to me I would buy it!! I am trying to get the belting material right now they come in 500' rolls so I should have some to sell when it comes in.

Billy