Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 PM

Chris, good for you the Red Eye is one of my favorite decals along with the Lotas. You will have to show us some pictures of your new lady. Have fun with her.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:07 PM

Hi I just got my first antique machine. Singer 66 red eye in mint condish! My cabinet is defferent than the one pictured, 7 drqwers instead of five and a bar with SINGER in gold accross the middle. Her name is Miss Fran and I love her. I'm still learning to "treadle" smoothly, lots of jerks and stops LOL. I love the feel of her and know we're going to be good friends for a long time. My younger ladies will have to wait for me while she and I get aquainted.
All of the gilding and red paint are intact, how do I care for it?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:11 PM

[quote=jeanneb52]

I love the red/white quilt! Do you have any pictures of the whole quilt anywhere??
Old 12-23-2010, 12:17 PM

Now you will have to take a picture and show her off. I think I saw her on another post and she is beautiful. I am still learning to treadle starting is my problem. I agree your quilt is very pretty.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:17 PM

Thanks, it was a table runner...long gone as a gift. Is that a Bell's machine in your avatar?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
Thanks, it was a table runner...long gone as a gift. Is that a Bell's machine in your avatar?
No, it's an old green Elna Super.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:36 PM

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Found out what was wrong with other bobbin, poorly wound and 3 different thread colors on it. I realize that's being frugal but give me a break!

Ya know, the minute I get a vintage bobbin I start unwinding the thread. The thread is old and rotten anyway, I would never try to use it; but, it is amazing how the people of earlier times always wound several thread colors on one bobbin. They must of used the bobbins to use up spools of thread that were nearly empty. I have found up to 5 different threads on one bobbin!

Have a very Merry Christmas and a grand New Year everyone!

Nancy
Just a note on the several thread colors on a bobbin. When I was taught how to sew, Mom had a limited number of bobbins for the machine. When I needed a bobbin for a small project, we wound a different color thread on top of her color. Usually I used up the thread before she needed the bobbin color - mostly because I was determined to finish the project before giving up the machine! :lol: We were not allowed to waste thread. In fact, when taking apart a garment to resize it for the next child, we saved as much of the thread as possible.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:54 PM

I remember saving thread off a hem shortening project so we could match when stitching it back. Didn't have all the advantages of places to buy thread like we do now. Waste not want not.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Chris, good for you the Red Eye is one of my favorite decals along with the Lotas. You will have to show us some pictures of your new lady. Have fun with her.
She needs some cleaning first before I post pics. Will do before and afters with her. Funny how the bobbin plate covers go missing. makes you wonder what hapened to them? Girls saw and just pointed out that the "new" one was missing the same piece as the other two. They think I'm obsessed with vintage machines so didn't point out that she is different from any of the others. :)
Old 12-23-2010, 01:23 PM

I realize that people used to put several different colors on a bobbin for "waste not, want not" but the bobbin was so poorly wound that it wasn't working properly in the machine. The black thread also seemes to be of a much coarser quality than the white underneath of it. I have wound some colors onto others to avoid wasting thread but made sure the bobbin wound properly. Had to cut off the black thread with my scissors b/c of the tangling while winding.