Featherweight machine

Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 AM

OK....here we are on a new day....what is the word....what are you going to do....
Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 AM

I would put a value of $500 on it. It is, so to speak, irreplaceable so they should pay for it!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:29 AM

It sounds like the machine wasn't packed properly. I used to sell vintage sewing machines and in order for the machine to arrive in 1 piece, you need to bubble wrap them to death,
double box the machine and case, use solid styrofoam in the outer box. If any thing rattles its not packed properly. When boxes are handled by the various shippers, they drop off a conveyor belt and its a 5-6 foot drop. I've sold/packed many machines and never had one damaged.
Good luck with your damage claim.
Sharon W.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
Is the case the standard black case? I know you can buy replacement black cases. I think I saw some for $65.00. I can't remember if that included a new tray.
White featherweights come in either a white/green case or a light blue/dark blue case.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM

When you file a claim you have to decide- are you wanting repairs or to turn it over to them You will not get both. The amount it is insured for is what they will look at. We refurbish vintage machines and ship all over. The packing is intense so that neither our customers nor us will be in this type of position. We ship with FedEX and occationally the Post office. UPS has a long standing histroy of damage to packages. After my brother worked in one of their ware houses years ago on the third shift filling trucks it's no surprise from the stories he told of games of catch and launchs.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:40 AM

There is a couple who live in Houston Tx who specialize in
Featherweights and I'm sorry that I can't remember their name but maybe you could do a search for Sewing machine repair in Houston and find them. They were very good.
Good luck.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:54 PM

Contact Graham Forsdyke
Purveyor of fine Featherweights to the gentry
ISMACS London
http://www.ismacs.net

He's the resident guru on the Yahoo Featherweight group.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:59 PM

I respondedbefore indicating insured amount. My husband deals with the shipping so confirmed this with him. The item will be paid up to the insured amount and it will be what everthe policy is of the shipper and seler as to what happens to the machine. A few chips willnot be something most companies would consider major damage. If you wish to keep the machine you will have to accept terms of the shipper and seller. If you purchased it through ebay you should file disasifaction with the way it was packed. Again the insured value is the key estimates of value from people vary so widely shippers won'y go by them. If the seller did not insure the item then it is up to the two of you to straten it out. If the seller had an as is disclimer in their listing then you will have to go the extra mile to prove this was not the condition of the machine at the time of purchase.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 PM

Here's another contact person for Featherweights:

Dave @
Featherweight RX
1012 Cypress Court
Burlington, Washington 98233
360-757-4777 www.Featherweight221.com
Old 06-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by JJane
Yes have been in connect with the seller-She did it right took it to a authorized shipper it was package well and the shipping company has agreed that it is a claim.. I just need to have a price of the decreased valve of the machine because the shipping damage or the price to have it repainted not sure I would have it repainted because it decreases the valve if it is repainted. At this point my head hurts---understand?
Originally Posted by Deborahlees
out of curiousities was the machine packed correctly....was there packing between the machine and case....between the case and box....do you have a recourse also again the seller.....so many people think they can just throw this into a box that fits and its ok.....
At this point, decrease in value is not important to you. you
can never repair the machine to it's original condition. I can
not imagine a machine & case getting so damaged if they
were packed correctly. and sending a machine just in the case is not correct ! you really do not have to have a
case to carry the machine to classes, etc. there are a lot of
alternatives. only recourse for a perfect machine is to have
a complete redo paint job. expensive. it could be painted the
same color, then the insurance could not call it an "improvement" beyond the original machine. it is just replacement. from $300-700. it is not an easy job & not one
for just anyone. guess I am kind of off the main subject--where do you get an estimate ? ebay is the best guide for pricing. it may be hard to tell what the original
condition of the machine was at this stage of the game.
Glenn Williams in FL has lot of FW stuff, he is honest, trustworthy; we deal with him a lot. I agree with the one lady, appliance fix may cover the scrapes. but I would let the insurance co. have the machine--get another one. they
are not that hard to find. (and a black one (my humble opinion) is a better machine anyway. if you have another one shipped, get very specific shipping instructions for them.
Google "how to pack a sewing machine for shipping". or Graham Forsdyke's site. sorry this has happened to you !!