Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 PM

You can find the manual online at Singer, or do a web search for free sewing machine manual and download one that way. I was lucky that the original one was with mine, but I had played on my great grandma's forever so never thought about what the manual would say anyway. You can do it, just jump in and swim-I mean sew.
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Neat Machine. I have a twin to it, cabinet and all, but mine has way worse decals. It sews like a dream though, and seems to like working, so I just do a little sewing on it for fun.
I'm a little 'afraid' to attempt to use the 27 at the moment. Haven't had the time to research too much about that VS business. It's so... well... different. I got used to the vertical feed round bobbins, okay that was not too difficult... but this VS thing has me...wanting to treat it like it's glass or something. Once I get my hands on a manual for it, and figure out how to thread it... maybe I'll have courage enough.... lol. I think I can, I think I can...
Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
That machine really looks nice, and it is the long bed. I think the 301 is going up in price as a very desirable machine for classes, next to the FW. Those suitcases are just too funny!
I think that the 301 only does forward, backward, and maybe a zig zag? Don't know for sure, but I don't think they do any decorative stitches? Sharon, what do they do? Nancy
Well... mine came with a zig zag attachment that has cams. Haven't tried it yet.

Hey, has anybody that has a 301, ever tried to use the slant shank Monogrammer tool that was for the ??? touch and sew/fashion slant shank machines? There's a monogrammer sitting at goodwill down here for $8. ???? Will it work?
You would need a zig zag machine for the monogrammer. The 301 is a straight stitch only machine. The zig zag attachment doesn't work terribly well, your fabric has to be heavily starched for it to work properly.
Sharon
Old 02-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Glenn
After all the talk about my FW even thou I am not impressed I have decided to keep her. Her name is Josephine, named after a mule my grandfather had--slow and did not like to do work that required much power :lol: But I want to thank you for your good advice on the FW and thank you Nancy for you cleaning advice it did help. Glenn
Glenn I'd be very happy to adopt Josephine if you decide you don't want her!

Nancy
I'd like be her adoptive mother too! :mrgreen:
Sharon
Old 02-15-2011, 08:10 PM

I have a 99K, EL 059206. Don't have a picture but it has the case which is a little ragged and all the attachments in a little green singer box. It sews quietly and evenly. I paid $99.99 for it and hope it was a good deal. I got it at the Kidney Community Thrift shop. Can you tell me anything about it?

I also got a Spartan RF J 9-8 that has Made in Great Britain written on it. It has no motor, foot pedal or electrical cord. The fly wheel turns very easily but has no belt. I paid 24.99 for it and hope someday to get it repaired.
Both machines have very good finishes and decals on them...
Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 PM

I have a singer 301 shortbed. She is wonderful and easy to transport in her little suitcase. Very strong machine and quilts with ease. Many attachments for her available on ebay at reasonable prices. There are still parts for her and any good singer repair person can make her sing. She is very easy to maintain, much like the featherweights.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I was perusing Ebay and found this little gem. Only a mere $3,000!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1912-SEW...item1c196a7252
Did you notice that the shipping was only $500. Just pocket change, I wish. lol Kathie
Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 PM

I did my first fix! No, not drugs, sewing machine.
Yesterday at quilt club, one fine lady had her white 221K featherweight there. She and another lady played with it for 2 hours trying to get it to sew. So, 15 min before quitting time, I had to take a look.
I got the bobbin out easily - after reading online (ahem)
Found the undercarriage FULL of thread.
Got that all cleaned out.
No go. Everytime you started her up, she'd fill the bobbin case with thread again and quit.
We oiled, and we oiled, and we oiled some more.
But still no go.
So, in a moment of bravery (or insanity), I asked if I could take it home to look at it and see what I could do. And she agreed!!!!!!!!!!!
So home we went, and onto the kitchen table she landed.
I carefully took out screws, and taped them to a paper with a label as to where it goes.
I even took the bobbin case apart, and took the tension spring off and everything. Then I dropped one of those screws on the floor. A carpet floor. The screw that's about half the size of an ant. So, down on my knees I searched, and I found it!!!! That REALLY surprised me.
I reassembled the bobbin case and left the tension quite a bit looser than it was, just so that I could feel the pull but the bobbin didn't fall down when I held the thread.
Put it together again, and the same thing happened.
Then, I had a eureka moment. I had had the similar problem with my own Janome recently, and the problem was a burr on the bobbin case. So, I started looking for burrs. There were a few gouges on the hole in the needle plate. I didn't think they were big enough to be a problem, but I burnished them flat anyway.
That was it. That was the problem.
With a fiddle of the upper tension, she was away.
She sews a beautiful stitch. I filled up a whole 8x8 piece of double fabric with thread just waiting for the problem to happen again, but it didn't.
That little burr was enough to stop that machine from sewing.
So I called her mama, and she'll be going home soon as we can get together.
But not before I play with it just a little bit more......
Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
By the way... I know that EVERYONE on this thread is wondering..... DID Kim win the Ebay Auction for the white 201k?

The answer is....

No... Kim did not. Kim dropped out of the running at $115. The machine sold for OVER $400!!! LOL!

So now... Billy, VM, Brenda, Nancy, etc.... which one of YOU bought the thing???? LOL I wanna know!

<munch, munch.... homemade donuts are delicious! Thanks.>
I was wondering who might have bought it. I didn't even place a bid since I don't like buying from ebay. My shopping is CLs, Goodwill, vintage stores, or garage sales. Plus, I have my excellent 201 in a treadle.
I didnt, I do not do the eBay thing at all anymore. Its fun to look at and thats all I do.

I have a 185K that I am fixing to repaint and I am not sure what color or is I am even going to keep it or not. I have been working in the studio non stop it seems getting these machines knocked out and getting ready to have my big blow out.

I just ordered 150 spoked handwheels and 200 handcranks today. The reproduction handwheels are really nice and they fit the shafts like the originals. Not like the Chinese crap out there. So I am selling the kits and the parts separate so if anyone needs them let me know.

Billy
Old 02-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kathie S.

Did you notice that the shipping was only $500. Just pocket change, I wish. lol Kathie
The machine is in Romania and she will only ship to Europe. Nice machine though.......

Billy
Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Kathie S.

The machine is in Romania and she will only ship to Europe. Nice machine though.......

Billy
Billy, check the add again. It says ships to the United States and Europe. Kathie