Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-03-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I am asking prayers for my siter-in-law, Verlene. They found three brain turmors today and she has terminal brain cancer. They will do chemo and raditation at the same time. At the best she will have a year. Thank you so much. Kathie
Sorry to hear about your sister-in-law.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:31 PM

Remember this cabinet, it came black and looking like crap? We used a bunch of cans of stripper to get all three coats of black paint off -- and it had a coat of primer, DH did some sand blasting of the treadle irons, lots of elbow grease (mostly my DH's since he decided I was too slow at it), a little staining and finishing and look what my late 1800's Wilcox and Gibbs gets back! His original cabinet!!!!!!!!!!!Yippppeeeeeeeee!

Nancy

Cabinet today - open (Willy is a happy camper!)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179116[/ATTACH]

The day we bought it!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179124[/ATTACH]

Cabinet put back together in the house - minus the coffin top still in garage being worked on!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179125[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-179110.jpe   attachment-179118.jpe   attachment-179119.jpe  
Old 04-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Remember this cabinet, it came black and looking like crap? We used a bunch of cans of stripper to get all three coats of black paint off -- and it had a coat of primer, DH did some sand blasting the treadle irons, lots of elbow grease (mostly my DH's since he decided I was too slow at it), a little staining and finishing and look what my late 1800's Wilcox and Gibbs gets back! His original cabinet!!!!!!!!!!!Yippppeeeeeeeee!

Nancy
Nancy, That is a beautiful job!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
ok, Billy or Nancy or anyone ~ got this cabinet today ~ can you tell me anything about her? Minus the machine, its made for a smaller-than-full-size machine... but what was inside the cabinet is what got me! And I think hubby can just build me a support plate that ANY machine can sit on, but still leave room for the treadle belt...

And the price was excellent on this ~ free :)
Congrats on your free cabinet! And remember the machine will find you. ;)
Old 04-03-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Remember this cabinet, it came black and looking like crap? We used a bunch of cans of stripper to get all three coats of black paint off -- and it had a coat of primer, DH did some sand blasting the treadle irons, lots of elbow grease (mostly my DH's since he decided I was too slow at it), a little staining and finishing and look what my late 1800's Wilcox and Gibbs gets back! His original cabinet!!!!!!!!!!!Yippppeeeeeeeee!

Nancy
Nancy, That is a beautiful job!
Thank you Monica! This one will stay with us forever! Now, we are going to get little Willy's chrome bed/table re-chromed!

Nancy
Old 04-03-2011, 12:40 PM

From a cocoon to a butterfly ... what a beauty!!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by jillnjo
I have a question being new on the board. I was just given a vintage Kenmore machine and I'd like to find info about it. I have the serial no. and model no. I'm not sure how to use this forum. Can I search all the entries for a subject? What is the simplest way to obtain the info I need? Thanks.
Welcome aboard! You can do a search and try to locate information about a certain machine, but here everyone just asks for the information they need. If there is someone on the forum who can answer your questions, they will answer you. Everyone tries to help everyone else.

Here is a site you might want to check out about Sears sewing machines. If you have a serial number and model number, someone here may have the same machine so they could help you out too. Don't be afraid to just jump right in at any time.

http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

Nancy
Old 04-03-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by hootnannie
From a cocoon to a butterfly ... what a beauty!!
Hootnannie, isn't his cabinet beautiful! I can't imagine why they ever painted it black, except the original owner's daughter said her dad painted everything black!

Glenn where are you? You have to see this! I am so proud of my husband -- he's the one that did this!

Nancy
Old 04-03-2011, 01:02 PM

O.K.-Here goes! The Kenmore machine I have is Model no.1516 zig-zag machine.It looks like it takes cams to ziz-zag and they are not with the machine. It runs beautiful,and hasn't a scratch on it. Are parts available? It's a light green color in a portable case. What do I actually have and where do I go from here? There's also a serial no.-0028349 and a motor model no.-5186
Old 04-03-2011, 01:11 PM

Bily,
Can you help me? I need singer motor lubicant in tube for my old singer 301's. Hubby wants to get this done before I use the machines much. Can you tell me where to get this? thanks