Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Deara
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Hello everyone, I need an answer to this question. Will a singer monogramer model 750 fit on any slant needle sewing machine such as a 301 or 402? I have been on the web for hours and can't find an answer. Thank you all very much.
yes - get a T shaped feed dog plate

For those of us still learning the ins and outs of a slant machine (like me), would you be so kind to post a pic of the T shaped feed dog plate. For some reason I just cannot picture what you are describing.

Thank you and blessings to you,
Sandi
I must be having a blonde senior moment.
Sandi, and anyone else interested in the Singer Monogrammer for the slant shank machines. This is it - pictured on the ISMACS site. For my 503a, I had to get the 161825 plate, but I had no trouble finding the right one on e-bay.

Hope the pictures help. http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ttachment.html

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
Hello - I've been thinking for quite some time about purchasing a Featherweight, and finally took the plunge. I bought it from a local semi-retired sewing machine repairman who had advertised it on Kiji (similar to Craigslist). It's serial # is EH893383, which from what I've found on the internet means it was made in Scotland in 1951, am I correct? Anyway, both the machine and the case are in A-1 shape, but there is a musty smell inside the case (therefore right now the machine smell that way too). I put a little Lysol in some water, and used a damp rag to wipe the surface dirt of the inside and outside of the case, and dried it immediately. Now I have sprayed a clean rag well with Heavy Duty Febreeze, and have placed it in a small bowl which I have put into the case. I've propped the lid open slightly and am hoping that the smell may lessen. Any other tips for deodorizing the case?
Nice looking Featherweight!! The case stinks because they used glue that has aged in an undesirable manner. Usually airing it helps, but also put a dryer sheet in the bottom of it and leave it there. I heard this works good, too.
It smells musty because mildew grows in warm dark damp places. Set it in the sun for a couple days, moving it around to keep it in direct sun and then place dryer sheets in it to keep it smelling lightly scented. Change the dryer sheets every couple months or so and save all the little bags that come in purses, shoes, etc to absorb moisture and put them in the case when closed. My FW hasn't been back in the case since I got it, but am planning on taking it camping with me (in a 28 ft trailer with electricity!!) so it will go back into the case daily.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:53 PM

Hello - I've been thinking for quite some time about purchasing a Featherweight, and finally took the plunge. I bought it from a local semi-retired sewing machine repairman who had advertised it on Kiji (similar to Craigslist). It's serial # is EH893383, which from what I've found on the internet means it was made in Scotland in 1951, am I correct? Anyway, both the machine and the case are in A-1 shape, but there is a musty smell inside the case (therefore right now the machine smell that way too). I put a little Lysol in some water, and used a damp rag to wipe the surface dirt of the inside and outside of the case, and dried it immediately. Now I have sprayed a clean rag well with Heavy Duty Febreeze, and have placed it in a small bowl which I have put into the case. I've propped the lid open slightly and am hoping that the smell may lessen. Any other tips for deodorizing the case?
Hummmmm, I am curious as to whether the Febreeze works! It sure sounds like a good idea!

Congratulations, you have a very nice featherweight! I love to take my featherweights to classes.

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I did some piecing today on it for the first time, and it seems to work really well.

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Hummmmm, I am curious as to whether the Febreeze works! It sure sounds like a good idea!

Congratulations, you have a very nice featherweight! I love to take my featherweights to classes.

Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
I'm only "guessing" but I'm thinking a lot of those type of accessories are not going to work on the 301 because it does not zigzag. Because I don't know for sure I will only buy off of ebay things that specify for a 301.

Of course NOW I have a 500A and a 503A so I can buy for those machines :).
Thanks for that info on the 301 not being zigzag. I know it has an attachment that will do zigzag, but didn't realize it won't do the monogram, etc. Oh well, I only wanted it for its fantastic straight stitch, any way!! :-)
Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM

The thing I found to work best for my musty featherweight case was to stuff the box with newspaper & take it out every week & put in new for about 3 weeks then use your other scent methods. For some reason the newspaper absorbs the odor (probably also any moisure).

Bev

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by jljack
Nice looking Featherweight!! The case stinks because they used glue that has aged in an undesirable manner. Usually airing it helps, but also put a dryer sheet in the bottom of it and leave it there. I heard this works good, too.
It smells musty because mildew grows in warm dark damp places. Set it in the sun for a couple days, moving it around to keep it in direct sun and then place dryer sheets in it to keep it smelling lightly scented. Change the dryer sheets every couple months or so and save all the little bags that come in purses, shoes, etc to absorb moisture and put them in the case when closed. My FW hasn't been back in the case since I got it, but am planning on taking it camping with me (in a 28 ft trailer with electricity!!) so it will go back into the case daily.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Hello everyone, I need an answer to this question. Will a singer monogramer model 750 fit on any slant needle sewing machine such as a 301 or 402? I have been on the web for hours and can't find an answer. Thank you all very much.

For those of us still learning the ins and outs of a slant machine (like me), would you be so kind to post a pic of the T shaped feed dog plate. For some reason I just cannot picture what you are describing.

Sandi
Sandi, and anyone else interested in the Singer Monogrammer for the slant shank machines. This is it - pictured on the ISMACS site. For my 503a, I had to get the 161825 plate, but I had no trouble finding the right one on e-bay.

Nancy

Thank you Nancy, I appreciate your link to Ismacs.
Their explanation of what plate to get for what machine sure does help.
I will have to look at all my plates to see if I already have that one.
Then again I do need to get the monogrammer too. lol

Blessings,
Sandi
Old 05-20-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrose
I'm only "guessing" but I'm thinking a lot of those type of accessories are not going to work on the 301 because it does not zigzag. Because I don't know for sure I will only buy off of ebay things that specify for a 301.

The attachments move the fabric, the needle does not move. You do need a plate to cover the feed, that is what a T-plate does. Singer made a Zig-Zag attachment for a straight stitch machine at one time that works the same way - it moves the fabric back and forth.
Thanks for that, Rose. So now I see why my straight stitching 301 could actually do zigzag and monogram. I'll have to look into that. That's interesting that it moves the fabric and the needle stays in the same position. Cool! Thanks again!!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:18 PM

Sandi

Nancy
So the information on the ISMACS site does not include mention of the 301. So...?????
Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondrose

The attachments move the fabric, the needle does not move. You do need a plate to cover the feed, that is what a T-plate does. Singer made a Zig-Zag attachment for a straight stitch machine at one time that works the same way - it moves the fabric back and forth.
When I've seen directions for the buttonholers and monogrammers and such they usually state "for the zigzag machines"...that's why I said that :)

Even though the 301 has an attachment that will zigzag, it is not a zigzag machine. But again, I have never used any of those attachments or even owned them. (yet!)