Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Thank you for the welcome. I have enjoyed reading how the machines find their owners. I have 26 or so that have just had to be mine. Some I have worked on, some waiting, some that are just junk from a school sale of machines, but for a quarter apiece, I couldn't pass them up.
I've seen quite a few sewing machines from school sales and don't understand why none of them have cords or foot pedals.
Sharon W
Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 AM

[quote=Lostn51Wow you are diligent I will say that!! So how long did it take to read the thread anyway?

Welcome aboard and I am glad you are here with us!!

Billy[/quote]

lol... Melinda took her time AND cleaned a machine along the way (good going!), but it took me two 'overnights' and a lot of coffee to read the thread back when I first joined about a month and a half ago. Then I realized that there's no way to "Search" on just this thread. oops. So I went back to the beginning and started taking NOTES. I now have a little traveling notebook, filled with 'vintage machine info' that I take with me when I go out 'hunting'.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I've seen quite a few sewing machines from school sales and don't understand why none of them have cords or foot pedals.
Sharon W
Good question. I didn't realize that that was so for most/all ex-school machines. Back 10 years ago, I bought my Janome 4000 off ebay, ex-school, no way to tell if it even worked. I was sweating bullets. No cord, but had all it's feet. Took it to a sew shop, paid $60 for a new cord/foot and had it cleaned. At the time, they were goin for $2K used on ebay. Mine is still working just fine..... seems to love me.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:16 AM

[quote=kwendt]
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Sharon W
I found an ex school machine at a DAV thrift store and with DHs dickering help it was mine for $13.26. It was like brand new, no scuff on the foot pedal. It was a Riccar and sewed very well. It went to a good home with a young lady who couldn't afford to buy a machine.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Re: that Singer cabinet #40 refinishing project:

Kim I have a tool that will ream out the hole then glue a wood plug in the hole. When it cures for 24 hours predrill hole for the screws and insert them. You can use a drill and just drill a hole and glue a hardwood dowel in them then predrill and insert the screws. You can use also screw slightly larger than original but make sure they are the same length as the original. Hope this helps Glenn
Like it. Much better ideas. Bet I've got a dremal attachment that will work on that. Dowels I've got. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
I found an ex school machine at a DAV thrift store and with DHs dickering help it was mine for $13.26. It was like brand new, no scuff on the foot pedal. It was a Riccar and sewed very well. It went to a good home with a young lady who couldn't afford to buy a machine.
That is awesome. I love this sort of thing. I wish I could find a few sewing machines in 'the swale' to fix up and pass on.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by kwendt
Ah... here's hoping that a 201 treadle or a 201K or both, 'find' me. I'm a-waiting! lol
Ah, your 201 is waiting for you. Just after spending a week researching and learning about the 201s, I found mine at a garage sale. I was there just 10 minutes after they started the sale, and they had four machine heads lined up along with a box of attachments. Two of the machines had the bentwood box covering them. Well, I lifted the lid to the first machine and there was the 201. I was like this can't be...I not staring at a 201 with an external motor...no way. The lady told me what do you think is a good price (again my mouth dropped). I told her $25 and she said $35. I said okay you got a deal. I was ready to offer an amount for the attachments when she said do you want a bag for those parts or are you going to put them in your purse as she winked at me. Well, off went the motor (which couldn't be used anyway since it is for European voltage) and into a treadle.
Your machine is there. Have fun hunting!

VM! What a GREAT story/find! How wonderful! Congrats on your 201 find!

I also just thought of something to tell all my good friends here at VMS: a short time ago, I answered a craigslist ad about 3 vintage/antique Singer machines a lady was selling. On one, the decals looked... odd. Very garish/colorful. The S/N was also very odd. Looked like an old machine. With help of some on this site, I was able to find out that it was NOT a vintage/old machine, it was of new manufacture. The lady was also billing her FW as antique.... but I wasn't buying it. I emailed her back and without accusing her of anything, informed her that her one machine at least was a copy or new manufacture and was not a vintage Singer at all. I didn't hear back from her. Last week, she posted the same ad again, the same pictures of the machines, again as antique/vintage. So be careful, be wise and educated! That's why I LOVE this site!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by G-Maw Wilda
Billy

There are too many good people out there to let Alan ruin your day. His time will come, all things must come to an end.

We love you on this site.

G-Maw Wilda
Oh he isnt ruining my day, I am waiting for him to start that "I am going to shut this site down" bit and I am going to try and buy it from him.

But have no fear Billy is wise and Billy is good!! And I like it over here in OUR shop better, there is always coffee and deserts and great quilters to hang out with. :-D

Billy
Old 02-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Can anyone tell me about this machine?

Sorry, cannot seem to attach photo.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-160050.jpe  
Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Banned

Glenn thanks so much for the wonderful information on repairing the lifting veneer on the cabinets. I have one I have to work on (yes I do not like refinishing wood for some reason :roll: ) and I will use this method to fix an issue I have with mine. You make it sound so much easier than some of the other how to's I have seen. And I have replaced the veneer on one cabinet I had and it was not fun but it came out really nice. The only catch is that I used an automotive clear for the finish and it is way too glossy! But what do you expect for a guy that pants cars......... :lol:

Billy