Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-26-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Bojangles, the seller now insists the machine is a 1926 or 8 and her MIL was its only owner. (How old was the MIL??). Maybe she'll have something tomorrow that will help me date it. Not that it really matters. What matters is if it looks decent and sews well. IN the picture, it looks like it says Leader, nor New Leader, but she does have the manual.
I hope your Grandson does well at his basketball game!

I have a New Home T No 3 machine that was made in 1926 - if the girl answering the phone at the New Home office knew what she was talking about? My machine has the top tensions, which, I thought were abandoned long before 1926, but I guess they were still being produced on some manufacturer's models. My machine is pictured on page 665. It is a really cute machine, but takes a special needle which is very hard to find.

If your machine is in fact a Mason made by White, which it must be because White manufactured the Mason's early in the 1900's, the lady is probably right about the date. But, there is always a chance that you are getting a pre 1900 machine too, if the owner is wrong. You can go to the site I listed earlier and probably date this machine, if it is a Mason made by White. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Nancy
Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Bojangles, the seller now insists the machine is a 1926 or 8 and her MIL was its only owner. (How old was the MIL??). Maybe she'll have something tomorrow that will help me date it. Not that it really matters. What matters is if it looks decent and sews well. IN the picture, it looks like it says Leader, nor New Leader, but she does have the manual.
Irishrose, I went to ISMACS needle chart to look up a Leader to see if it takes a special needle. This is what I found.

Under the manufacturer, White had a machine called "Leader," which takes a 20x1 or Boye 4 needle. Standard also had a machine called "The Leader." Davis and New Home had a "New Leader." If the machine is in fact from Mason's line, it has to be the White model. Look at this site for needle information. Span down - the machines are listed alphabetically by machine name - then the manufacturer name is to the left.

http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...eedle-list.pdf

Nancy
Old 03-26-2011, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lildeb
I have a singer 66-16 and when I am sewing long strips or sewing fast I cant keep thread in guides. Any suggestion would be greatly appreicated.
Are you sure you have it threaded properly? Some of the guides are closed holes you sort of snap the thread into, and the thread should be snug between the tension disks in the tensioner... it won't form good stitches, otherwise. I have a 66-1, but get to treadling *like the wind!* and never have had the thread bounce out of any thread guides. Interested to see what others say...
Old 03-26-2011, 05:26 AM

hello I am looking for a singer feather weigh machine a old one not the new has to work as I will be using not collecting do you have any suggest where to look for a good machine at a price that will not break the bank as I am on limited income and retired thanks Evelyn from ga.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chergram
hello I am looking for a singer feather weigh machine a old one not the new has to work as I will be using not collecting do you have any suggest where to look for a good machine at a price that will not break the bank as I am on limited income and retired thanks Evelyn from ga.
Hi Evelyn,
The featherweights are so extremely popular now. Most of the people who frequent this thread are vintage and antique sewing machine collectors, but featherweights are also being bought up by quilters who don't collect any other of the older machines. The hysteria has become so great that it's driven the price of these little machines right through the roof. Most people who know what they are selling for would have no reason to sell theirs for less... and they are selling for upwards of $300, oftentimes much more.

Your best bet to find one at a lower-than-market price would be to watch your local Craig's list, and frequent your local thrift stores and yard sales. That's what most of us do.

If you want the Featherweight because you want an older, reliable Singer that is light enough to travel with you, you might explore some other, less expensive, possibilities. The Singer 301 is another nice little portable and only weighs a few pounds more than the featherweights. These are now growing in popularity and their prices are going up, too, but still way below the featherweights. Another 3/4 size portable you may want to check out is the Singer 185J. It's a small, cute green little portable that straight stitches. Those can still be found for $100 or less. I just watched one go on Ebay for $41!

Good luck in your quest for a vintage Singer!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:57 AM

chergram, on a limited income, you might be find a 301 more easily than a FW. My $60 301A was easier to purchase than a $250+ FW. The FWs are cute and fun to have, but there are working vintage macines better priced. My 1952 Singer 128 was $35. FW owners, I mean your adorable little workhorses no disrespect, they just are not in my budget.

Bojangles, is the Boye 20X1 a hard needle to find? Is it still in production? I told you I don't know anything. Thank you for all your help. Judy

I went to the site you gave. It looks like it's not an easy needle to find.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Banned

Hello everyone! Looks like I will be in the shop for a little while today since it is raining here. I am going to work on machines today but thankfully I will have my other laptop in the studio with me!

There has been some really nice machines brought in here in the last day or two. The Viking is to die for!!

As far as Featherweights go I have yet to give over $100 for one. In fact the last 3 that I bought to keep in my collection (never happened) was bought for less than $30 each. So the cheap deals are out there, but I would opt for a 301 while they are affordable. I have been watching the prices of those jump and they look to be passing the FW soon.

But the 301 is the full size sister to the Featherweight. It has the flip down bed the same bobbin as the FW but it is a full size with drop feed dogs and is built a lot better for quilting in my opinion. And it has a built in carrying handle and only weighs just a bit more that the Featherweight.

Billy
Old 03-26-2011, 07:01 AM

Bubba's extension table is intriguing! But how do you FMQ with it right up next to the wall?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:55 AM

Quilt Addict, I went to those sites you posted for Craigslist, but all of them stated that there was no page for that address.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:02 AM

Ginne6, I agree with you about the floor pedals. I have a Fleetwood (made by Necchi) that is over 50 years old and sews great. It has a knee action and I love it. I acquired a Kenmore about 2 years ago with a floor pedal. I just cannot get used to it, as you said, it slides over the floor.