Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-31-2010, 07:08 PM

Dunster, she's a beauty!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I picked up my craigslist treadle today. I will post more about it later, but here's what I found out so far. Serial # 11 938 834, issued in 1894. There is an original manual with the machine, saying "vibrating shuttle No. 2" - or more accurately, it says "Vibrerende Skyttel No. 2" - because the manual is written in Danish! I have never seen the decals before, but I think I found them on page 3 of the needlebar's decals page, all the way at the bottom, with no explanation. The decals are in great shape. Most of the V.S. 2's appear to have the fiddle base, but this one is rectangular. Apparently "No. 2" machines were eventually called Model 27-2, but this manual does not reference the number 27 anywhere. The face plate is plain (boo-hoo). There were several bobbins in the drawer (with thread on them), and the machine parts move freely. The pitman is wood. Oh yes, it came with the original oil can too. I am so happy to have found this machine. I will practice restoring another one before tackling this one - I don't want to harm it.

My 1896 27 is in the same cabinet as yours! I *think* mine is a VS-3
Old 05-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa

My 1896 27 is in the same cabinet as yours! I *think* mine is a VS-3
I'd love to see a picture! Now, do you have any extra drawers for it? LOL
Old 05-31-2010, 07:43 PM

I wish I could post a pic, but when I put my camera away, I apparently hid it from myself! Sorry, no extra drawers! My center drawer needs a slide on one side, but I have no idea how to fix it. Does yours have the side table that lifts up on the left side?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I wish I could post a pic, but when I put my camera away, I apparently hid it from myself! Sorry, no extra drawers! My center drawer needs a slide on one side, but I have no idea how to fix it. Does yours have the side table that lifts up on the left side?
Yes, it does. I don't think my center drawer will stay put either. When I figure out how it should work I'll let you know.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:52 PM

Beautiful--are those "Dogwood" decals?? The Eastlake style drawers come up on Ebay fairly often, and can sometimes be found in antique malls and flea markets!!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Beautiful--are those "Dogwood" decals?? The Eastlake style drawers come up on Ebay fairly often, and can sometimes be found in antique malls and flea markets!!
I just found a picture on needlebar - orange blossom and dogwood, 1892-1894. The other site that had the pic of this decal was treadleon. Thanks for the tip on its name.

I found some identical drawers on ebay - but they want as much for one drawer as I paid for the whole machine! I will keep looking for one more reasonably priced.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 PM

I have been reading from this Topic the past few days & it is so interesting! Thank You for starting it. 109 pages chocked full of information. Wow! I have gotten bit by the Featherweight bug. LOL I've been looking on Ebay & watching several coming up. I see some are pretty expensive while others fairly reasonable. From a total newby that has no experience with them or knowledge, I only know that I "think" I would like a 1953 model. And that is strictly just because it is the yr I was born. How do you guys pick what yr you are interested in? That is something I have always wondered regarding a Featherweight. How do you choose? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks. Again, I love this Shop.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Oh boy! What have I gotten myself into????
Looking good so far my friend!!! You will be sewing on it very soon.

Billy
Old 05-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dunster
I picked up my craigslist treadle today. I will post more about it later, but here's what I found out so far. Serial # 11 938 834, issued in 1894. There is an original manual with the machine, saying "vibrating shuttle No. 2" - or more accurately, it says "Vibrerende Skyttel No. 2" - because the manual is written in Danish! I have never seen the decals before, but I think I found them on page 3 of the needlebar's decals page, all the way at the bottom, with no explanation. The decals are in great shape. Most of the V.S. 2's appear to have the fiddle base, but this one is rectangular. Apparently "No. 2" machines were eventually called Model 27-2, but this manual does not reference the number 27 anywhere. The face plate is plain (boo-hoo). There were several bobbins in the drawer (with thread on them), and the machine parts move freely. The pitman is wood. Oh yes, it came with the original oil can too. I am so happy to have found this machine. I will practice restoring another one before tackling this one - I don't want to harm it.
I am glad you got the machine!! Did you get it for the asking price or were you able to talk them down? Either way you can not beat what they were asking for and especially for a rarely seen decal!! I was going to get it but I found a Model 27 "pheasant" which is real rare decal especially in the condition they are in!!!

Billy