Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
MAY 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! >

MAY 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

MAY 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 AM

Since this weeks taboo is cauliflower I thought I would post my favorite recipe. Not a huge fan of cauliflower but we like it this way. Cut a head of cauliflower into pieces. Mix 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper sprinkle over cauliflower. PLace of sprayed baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Yummy!
Irishrose I love the dress. I am sure she looked beautiful in it. Please post pictures when you get them .
Pat
Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 AM

Ooh, I have a really good cauliflower recipe. It's very simple. Cut the stem off the bottom so the cauliflower will sit flat and steam it until it's soft but still holds togather. Put it in a baking dish. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon all over and then take thin sliced provolone and cover the top and sides while it's warm so the cheese will mold to it. Then sprinkle with paprika and throw under the broiler until the chese is brown and bubbly. Yum! I have to start PT again. I ended up at the orthopedist last Friday because my lower legs were feeling numb. He diagnosed me with arthritis in both knees and my lower back so I have to dial back my exercise a little bit. Hopefully the PT will help me work around the arthritis. I'm very stubborn and refuse to give in. If I don't exercise I don't lose. Gorgeous dress Irish!

Last edited by blondeslave; 05-09-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 AM

thanks, ladies. i appreciate your caring. that cauliflower dish sounds fantastic! but then, i adore cauliflower! and almost all veggies except okra. i bet broccoli would be good oven roasted like that. i make sweet potato fries in a similar manner. i slice the sweet potato into fry shape, usually the flat long ones, and spray with pam olive oil, and sprinkle chili powder, garlic salt and pepper on them, turn them and do the other side the same way.i bake them on a cookie sheet lined with foil. bake at 400, 15 min, or until done. timing depends on how thick and wide your fries are. they not only taste great, they are great for you!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:24 AM
mim

Irish -- the dress is lovely -- How nice to have a GD to sew for -- and what a perfect shape !!! i never looked that good!!! Yesterday we went back to the dentist for DH lower plate refit. On the way home, now that he could eat comfortably, we stopped at our fav fish restaurant and I over indulged. -- not good but It will satisfy for the rest of the summer.

I have found a work-around for the email board problem -- when I go to the link I get a cannot connect message and "diagnose the problem" When I "diagnose" and then X out -- the board message shows up -- who knows why -- But then, as a long time "puter dealer and software guru -- I never question when it works. Did I say that I panic when I see a message that a program wants to upgrade?? It ususlly means that I won't like the result.

I am just happy that I can see you all and get the moral support I need.
I love broccolli -- cauliflower not as much but tyhey both are great.
Mim

I'm sorry to hear about back and knee problems. I feel so blessed when mine are fleeting annoyances.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 AM

I have mixed feelings about posting pictures of under age young people on the internet. I know it's silly because they post on Facebook all the time. I did post a GD's wedding picture last Summer, but she isn't underage - 28 and at the time a Marine, so that didn't bother me.

M is a very nice size, but these young ones don't have the small waistlines we had. We are havng a bridal gown parade at church Friday and are having a hard time finding bodies for many of the dresses. The waists are so small on our dresses and the young bodies are thicker through the middle. The phalates in the plastics are changing estrogen levels, especially if the plastics are microwaved. Miss M is 5'6" and wears a size 5 so I wouldn't want her any smaller. Her mother is just under 5 feet and wore a size 0, so we are happy M grew as tall as she did.

Does anyone like making HSTs? They really aren't bad unless you have a lot to do which I do today. We are doing the Creme Brulee quilt for the bazaar and somehow the HSTs were sent home with me. I whined, but it didn't work. So the sun is shining and my flower beds need me, but I wil be making little HSTs. The meeting is 6:30. I don't like blue - guess what color these are - dark blue.

Off to get some cauliflower. My rhubarb is ripe early this year, so I need to start using that, too.

Have a good day, everyone.

Last edited by irishrose; 05-09-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 PM

I had some cauliflower yesterday. We have tons of broccoli in the garden. It is coming in now. So I probably wont eat much cauliflower this week. We have 40 heads of broccoli. I have frozen enough for for 30 meals. We gave some away too. We still have all of the little side shoots that grow up too so we will be eating broccoli for awhile. My strawberries are also coming in right now. We are getting about 1/2 to 1 quart a day right now. I have been pigging out on them. The rhubarb is also ripe now but we dont have very much of that. My DH loves to play in the vegetable garden. He keeps planting more and more.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know.... it's not necessary to eat the cauliflower everyday. Just once this week will be enough. Unless I say something like exercise 3 times this week or whatever the case may be.
Good Luck this week!!!!
Pam S
Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 PM

Hi all, I've been super busy this last week. I'm down 1# for 1st week in May Yeah! I'm sewing a little girl's top. First I've done in decades. Can't believe how rusty my sewing skills are. I keep hoping it will be like riding a bike - but not so far. Very frustrating! The good news is that I'm continuing to embroider and did a cute pink elephant. After I finish the top, I'm going embroider something for me. I haven't done that in years. Feels good to be back sewing. My subsidized apt was inspected by city and mgmt persons last week. When the city guy went into my BR - now my sewing area - he went "Wow and called the other guy to come in. He told the mgmt guy that an organized, serious crafter lives here. I was gone but my neighor was there to meet them. She told them I'm a quilter and sewer and they said it was one of the most organized apts they'd seen. I felt pretty good about all my hard work to redo my stash. I've got it all folded & on two shelves in the center of my room. Then all around it I have projects in labeled bins. It's the only way I can keep track of all my UFOs. I passed the inspection thank goodness. I like living here so much and don't want anything to interfere with me being in my home. Still haven't gotten to gym. I see dr next week and will discuss other options w/him. Maybe that will help. I want the weight to come off faster. Is anyone on the new points plus with WW? I did points and lost a lot of weight and wondering if there's a big change from the points when it was points and core program. Please let me know ok?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 PM

I'm doing the points plus. The main advantage is that all fruits and almost all vegetables are free. Some things here and there might be a point higher. I like the e-tools. It's pretty slow going for me but I am older than when I did the old points; plus I cheat too often. One bad thing is that you can't use your old tools or books. You use carbs, fat, fiber and protein to figure points. Another nice thing is that you can look things up on the internet.
Congrats on being able to keep your apartment. If I make it up to Duluth I want to see your super organized sewing room.

Last edited by Pam H; 05-09-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 AM

I measured yesterday and was excited that I had lost 1 1/2 inches in the hips and a half inch in the waist in the last three weeks. The pounds are coming off but not as fast as I want. Our 50th anniversary is on the 23 of June and it would be so nice to be smaller! We'll see how I do in May.

I love to work in my garden but don't get to do a lot of that because I work 12 hours a day in town. I am a mini-mall manager and I have a small fabric store in it. Business is not to great but it gives me time to quilt. That I love! I am working on getting quilts made for my children. So far I am working on the seventh and have two more to go. Almost there! I have found that I like quilting the least. I am just not that good and I want them to be perfect. I used to tack all my quilts but I have farmed some out and am quilting some. I really like tacking with buttons. It makes them really neat as long as it is not for a baby or small child.

Good luck to everyone on your weight loss.