migraine

Old 06-28-2011, 05:51 AM

I discovered that mine were caused by eating apples and so I avoid them now and don't suffer. Don't know how you can solve it in the short term but suggest you try to discover the cause so that you can 'treat it' before it starts.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 AM

If I catch them soon enough Excedrin migrane and real sudafed {not the sudafed PE} I wake up often with headaches. Ice also really helps me. I keep a bag of frozen peas that I reuse over and over for an ice pack. But if I don't get it in time I have to retreat to a dark room with my ice pack and a trashcan .

(do not take sudafed if you have high blood pressure}
Old 06-28-2011, 06:12 AM

The best course of treatment is to immediately start taking the medications when I start seeing fractured colorful stars and faces become distorted.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 AM

I get severe migraines and very frequently. I am on a preventive medication-it is a blood pressure med. They had me on Topamax and I ended up with Nerve Damage in my feet, so if anyone is taking that please be careful. I also have pills that I take when the headache comes and if it is so bad that I can't keep the pills down I have shots that I give to myself. I hate needles but once I give myself that shot it is instant relief. Hope you find something that helps you.

verna2197
Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 AM

Anyone taking Excedrin Migraine should compare the ingredients of that and Excedrin extra strength...and then compare the price.The ingredients and dose is the same, and I have seen the latter $2 or more cheaper for the same amount. That is what works for me..but one of my daughters breaks out with it and the other daughter felt her chest tightening up, so they can't take it at all.
My friend is a Dr. and has suffered migraines much worse than mine. She has recently cut meat out of her diet and has noticed a great difference.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 AM

I take K=Pax (?) It's prescription. It is NOT a pain pill so there's no drowsy feeling. I take one, lay down, in an hour it's gone. I've actually had MRI checking for brain aneurysm which was negative. I had 2 different shots at ER after 3 days with one. I should have been knocked out with the first shot. I drove myself home after the second one. That was the last one that has been that bad. That was in 2004. K-Pax seems to work for me. They are expensive, but it supposed to lesson your likelihood of having another one. I think I've had 3 since then. I hope this finds you feeling better. They can make you feel like dieing.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 AM

Excedrin Migraine is wonderful!!! :thumbup:
Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 AM

I can relate to migraines because I've had them all my life and certain foods can bring them on, along with a drop in harmones as I got older. I would get migraines just before my period would start. I would just lay in bed with a wet cloth over my eyes and the room darkened until it went away. Thinking there is something on the market now that helps if you can take it at the beginning of a migraine. Check the drug department.
IdahoSandy
Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 AM

I have suffered from migraines since I was 7 years old. Now I am talking such bad migraines that they sometimes had to hospitalize me because I didn't know what I was doing. After all the years of migraines interfering in my life, when my children came along, I took a hard attitude against them. Mind over matter, so to speak. Anyway, when I get the aura, I take two Excedrin (the regular one as both the regular Excedrin and the Excedrin Migraine contain the same amount of ingredients), with a Mountain Dew (highest content of caffeine) and once the Mountain Dew is done, then down cups of coffee until I feel the headache on it's way out. I also exercise vigorously while experiencing the migraine (like vacuuming, mopping, or raking the yard) to get my blood pumping and rushing. Hurts like the dickens but I feel that it really does make the headache more tolerable. I used to give in to the headache (quiet, dark room with no smells which all seem to irritate the migraine more). Am now 57 years old and have learned to rule the migraine and not have the migraine rule me.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 AM

Strong pain killer, dark room and ear plugs.