migraine

Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 AM

I keep prescription Maxalt on hand, also, Excedrin Migraine. Seldom get one now, thank goodness, but am nearing 6-0 & have had them all my life. By the way, even when I feel a headache just starting, I take something right away, don't wait. Sometimes, that keeps it from getting any worse, or turning into a migraine. Good luck, keep trying till you find what works for you!...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:39 AM

The things I do for my migraines which fortunately I only have a few a year now.

1. dark room, cool clothes on the head, pain medication,

2. Accupressure-I had a friend who practiced chinese medicine. She helped me tremdendously.
There are several spots you can press.
The fatty part of your hand between your thumb and forefinger, press squeeze firmly and release several time.

inside of your ankle -someplace around the ankle bone, I forget exactly so I just press all of the inside ankle area.

head-around the temples, sort of message up to the top of the head.

3. in the shower I alternate hot and cold water on my head.

4. This is going to sound weird, and I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, but it works for me. It's a mental exercise. Lay down in the dark, close your eyes and concentrate on sweeping the pain into one location and then visualize putting a cap on it. It only works as long as I concentrate on keeping the cap on the pain. I know it's weird, I'm not even sure where I picked it up.

The best think I did was figure out what my triggers where so I could avoid as much as possible.
My triggers are: atmospheric changes-spring and fall when the weather changes-nothing I can do about that.

On a windy road with lots of trees where the sun shines on your face and then it gets blocked by the trees for miles...that will trigger a bad one

Lights- bright, strobe, flouresent and lights that flicker badly.

Good luck, hopefully you'll find some relief soon. I know how horrible migraines are.

One time I developed one and I was going up stairs to lay down after shopping and it was so bad I couldn't actually stand up. I was laying on the stairs and looked back and saw I had left the front door wide open and thought, "Hey maybe someone will come in and shoot me" and that was a positive thing. That just shows people who don't have migraines who bad they get.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Okay, for my migraines the only way I get relief is to take an A.C.C. tablet. They are available at Walmart in Canada. You have to ask for them as they are on the "Controlled Substance" list I believe. They are Acetylsalicylic Acid (aspirin) 375 mg. Caffeine 25 mg. and Codeine 8 mg. hence the name A.C.C. They are under the Equate brand name and they produce them with Tylenol, if you can't take aspirin. I don't have any drug retrictions yet so I am able to take them. If you are on blood thinners (don't take the aspirin) and if on blood pressure meds. check with your doctor on what is safe to take. Hope they are available where you are. You have my sympathy!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 AM

Do you have access to a natural foods store? I use to sell small bottles of headache relief oil at craft shows and fairs. Its made with 1/2 tsp. jojoba oil, 10 drops pure lavender oil, 10 drops pure spearmint oil, 10 drops pure eucalyptus oil. Shake well place a drop on tip of finger and massage into each temple and then across the forehead. Place another drop on finger and massage up the leaders on each side of the neck, place another drop and massage around each nostril and right under the nose. I was set up at a craft show once when the sheriff and his wife came in, she had such a migraine I could tell she was sick. I had her sit in my chair and I applied the oil to her head while explaining to her what to do. I gave her that bottle of oil. Withing 15 min she felt so much better she came back to my booth and wanted to purchase 5 bottles. Her daughter, husband and a friend also got migraines. She would travel an hour to meet me over the next few years just to pick up 5-10 bottles of the oil at a time. I use to teach, and one time I had one of my bad migraines at a play we had taken the middle school to watch. I used the oil on myself. The teacher next to me was getting a migraine also and she told me later that she could smell the oil on me and it had greatly helped he migraine. If you don't feel like trying to make your own, you can have some success with Bath & Body Works Stress Relief Roll-on. Just put it on in the same places and massage it in and breathe deeply.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:13 AM

I have gotten Migranes for alot of years too. Nothing like having a headache and living in an upstairs apartment with a balcony looking down on cement and your Best solution to ending the migrane is to jump. Luckily I never did jump, but for this one particular migrane was so bad that I called my doctor and told him HE BETTER DO something or I'm going to jump!!! With a migrane some people are in so much pain that reality is a blur and they are just wanting to get rid of the pain. He told me to go to the ER that he would be waiting for me which he was. I was lucky I didn't have to wait to be seen. He gave me a shot of Nubain and phenergan for the nausea and vomiting..oh gosh did that shot do wonders. Nubain is a non narcotic unlike Demerol that they would give me any other time. I would doze off but was almost always aware of my surroundings and such so it wasn't as if I was totally drugged out of my mind.

Another thing my doctor told me to do is to Drink a REGULAR COCA COLA!!! Something to do with the caffeine in the Coca Cola helps ease a migrane and it had to be the REAL Coca Cola. And I did voice my concern to him about being a diabetic and he said it would be okay to drink it once in a while.
Once I went through menopause, I no longer seem to have migranes but every great once in a while, I will get a headache that will last a couple of days but tolerable and I just take a couple of tylenols.
I hope that you find a solution very soon.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I Nothing like having a headache and living in an upstairs apartment with a balcony looking down on cement and your Best solution to ending the migrane is to jump. Luckily I never did jump,
Those of us who have migraines really understand this statement. I have a friend who just doesn't understand the pain involved and how it effects your entire body-the nasuea, vomiting and I even get really bad diareaha. Nothing like standing in the bathroom trying to figure which end goes where. I finally kept a plastic trashcan next to the toilet :oops: ...I know TMI, TMI.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 AM

Make sure you drink lots of water. My migraines are a lot less since I went through menopause..
Old 06-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Another thing my doctor told me to do is to Drink a REGULAR COCA COLA!!! Something to do with the caffeine in the Coca Cola helps ease a migrane and it had to be the REAL Coca Cola. And I did voice my concern to him about being a diabetic and he said it would be okay to drink it once in a while.
Once I went through menopause, I no longer seem to have migranes but every great once in a while, I will get a headache that will last a couple of days but tolerable and I just take a couple of tylenols.
I hope that you find a solution very soon.
I totally agree about Coca Cola. I drink it and take Excedrin Migraine.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

relpax is the only answer dfor me, works like a charm
Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM

I use Imitrex for my migraines. sometime you need to go to the emergency room and get a shot of demeral. I hope it gets better soon. It's no fun having one of them. I can remember beating my head against the wall because the pain from that took my mind away from the pain in my head.