Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-07-2010, 06:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sahm4605
2 cups flour 1 cup sugar 2 teaspoons baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 4+ tablespoons coco powder(Hershey) mix together real well
1 1/2 cups boiling water, 1 cup mayonnaise, 1+teaspoon vanilla mix together real well.
combine dry and wet bowls and mix real well. pour into a baking pan. bake @ 350 for 20-30 min. glass @ 325.
this is my MIL's recipe. don't know where she got it from but it is pretty good. you can't use mirical whip for this though. tastes awful. we use helmans mayonnaise.
thank you for the recipe. It makes sense using mayo as it has such a high oil content. All cakes need some kind of oil wheater it be butter, oil or shortening. The mayo is replacing those. Interesting, and I have a degree in Culinary arts and never heard of this. I will try it when DS comes home from school she loves chocolate cake.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lauriejo
Is anyone else in this group diagnosed with celiac, or on the gluten-free diet? (No wheat, barley, rye or commerically grown oats) I have always loved bread, pasta, crackers, all the things I had to give up. The gluten free options are just not the same, although they are getting better.
The oatmeal I just bought says gluten free which means it was not grown in a field where wheat ect is grown. It was Bob's Red Mill. Amazon has over 4,000 gluten free items in groceries. I saw gluten free pizza dough mix , bread mix, pasta, cereal and so many other things that sounded soo good. Go to amazon.com search gluten free then on the left click on groceries and up pops tons of stuff. Let me know what you think
Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 AM

I agree, the Bob's stuff is great. But boy the prices are at least double the regular stuff. Since both my son and I have to eat gluten free I prepare everything that way. A number of family favorites are just out of the question. I have spent a fortune on food that turns out to be completely impossible to eat, so I try stuff very sparingly it just gets too expensive. Mostly we just do without.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 AM

Is anyone else in this group diagnosed with celiac, or on the gluten-free diet? (No wheat, barley, rye or commerically grown oats) I have always loved bread, pasta, crackers, all the things I had to give up. The gluten free options are just not the same, although they are getting better. When I had to start the diet I found myself justifying alot of poor diet choices as compensation for all the things I had to go without. Then about when I had gotten my life back on track, and was finally feeling healthy, the fibromyalgia symptoms began although it was just diagnosed last month. As it became more and more difficult to do anything the pounds crept up. Now here I am; 50 pounds overweight, exhausted all the time, and dealing with constant pain from the fibro arthritis and bursitis. I know some of you are dealing with this, and much more, how do you keep going?
My father in law is, my mother in law, my sister in law, my niece and my husband are all celiac.
It is a pain for family get together.
My husband is the worst one and does not follow the no gluten.
and I feel bad because he is such a picky eater before this that you take gluten away and he eats nothing.
My niece is also dairy and soy intolerant. So she cannot eat a lot of things luckily she is good with he food choices.

Since I try to keep the gluten down in my house
I keep Chex on hand as it is gluten free and my husband like to just munch on them.

Also remember that you can find lots of gluten free items in the ethnic aisles. Asian has a lot made with rice and rice flour and Spanish has a lot of corn and corn flour.
It can be cheaper because they are not intended for the gluten free life. It just so happens they are gluten free

Good Luck! It is possible but it is a lot harder
Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 AM

I am lucky in the fact that I do not have the issues with gluten that so many of you are facing. However, I work at a food company, and know that it is a HUGE issue right now. If you haven't already checked it out, General Mills (they make Chex) has a website for gluten-free info: http://liveglutenfreely.com/ There's product info, recipes, links to blogs, all sorts of stuff. They even have Gluten-Free Bisquick now!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 AM

I have tried the GF Bisquick, but again the cost makes it impractical for regular use. I also have to deal with a DH who is very particular, won't eat more than a couple different veggies, doesn't like anything asian, just regular meat and potatoes preferably. We are very fortunate to have a place locally where my son can get gf pizza, and what teenager can live without that! We are very lucky to only be dealing with celiac, many people we know also have other food allergies in addition to celiac. I think the biggest issue is the emotional part, feeling like I am deprived.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 AM

I have tried the GF Bisquick, but again the cost makes it impractical for regular use. I also have to deal with a DH who is very particular, won't eat more than a couple different veggies, doesn't like anything asian, just regular meat and potatoes preferably. We are very fortunate to have a place locally where my son can get gf pizza, and what teenager can live without that! We are very lucky to only be dealing with celiac, many people we know also have other food allergies in addition to celiac. I think the biggest issue is the emotional part, feeling like I am deprived.
ohh my husband would never eat anything Asian or Spanish
he only eats corn and meat and potatoes.

The rice noodles in the Asian foods is pretty good it cooks up like angle hair pasta.
I know in my house for tacos I do not like hard tacos but that is the only one that come in corn.
If you look some places in the Spanish section has corn tortilla.
Dont know if you have Snyder pretzels or if it is gut a local thing but they make GF pretzels that are pretty good and healthy found right with the reg pretzel.

I would make a regular daily food plan
Then find all the gluten and try to substitute it for a healthy non gluten free food choice.
I know that most GF foods are expensive but if you change out
Spaghetti noodles of spaghetti squash its is not only healthier for you but I have heard taste good

So a sample meal could be

chicken tacos
Chicken cut up and seasoned
lettuce, tomatoes, low fat cheese
with corn taco shells
(no GF and healthy)
Add a salad to it and you have a meal

If you would like some more suggestions or help with some meal idea you can always PM me. Like I said I dont have it but I have to live it everyday
Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned

I agree, the Bob's stuff is great. But boy the prices are at least double the regular stuff. Since both my son and I have to eat gluten free I prepare everything that way. A number of family favorites are just out of the question. I have spent a fortune on food that turns out to be completely impossible to eat, so I try stuff very sparingly it just gets too expensive. Mostly we just do without.
Have you looked at the prices at amazon? I buy most of my groceries there. You have to buy in bulk but the expiration are alway good. I bought Bob's powdered buttermilk, it has less calories then low fat, anyway if didn't expire for almost 2 years. I think mosted people thing amazon has close to expiration dated groceries. They don't. The oatmeal I bought was cheaper per oz then Quaker oatmeal in the grocery store and it was Bob's a much beter company.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:59 PM

I am so happy that all I have to worry is to much fat in my diet. Have to run to the little girls room frequently, but I can eat all foods that I like. Just have to watch the fat content and the way it is cooked, no fried foods.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
ohh my husband would never eat anything Asian or Spanish
he only eats corn and meat and potatoes.

The rice noodles in the Asian foods is pretty good it cooks up like angle hair pasta.
I know in my house for tacos I do not like hard tacos but that is the only one that come in corn.
If you look some places in the Spanish section has corn tortilla.
Dont know if you have Snyder pretzels or if it is gut a local thing but they make GF pretzels that are pretty good and healthy found right with the reg pretzel.

I would make a regular daily food plan
Then find all the gluten and try to substitute it for a healthy non gluten free food choice.
I know that most GF foods are expensive but if you change out
Spaghetti noodles of spaghetti squash its is not only healthier for you but I have heard taste good

So a sample meal could be

chicken tacos
Chicken cut up and seasoned
lettuce, tomatoes, low fat cheese
with corn taco shells
(no GF and healthy)
Add a salad to it and you have a meal

If you would like some more suggestions or help with some meal idea you can always PM me. Like I said I dont have it but I have to live it everyday
Keep all that bread you tried and didn't like grind it into bread crumbs and use them in meat loaves etc.

I just made Baked Zucchini Slices with some of the bread crumbs my mom saved (she is celiac )

1 large zucchini sliced on angle 1/2" slices
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried basil
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 large egg whites wisked in large bowl
pam cooking spray, spray on cookie sheet

Mix bread crumbs and spices. Dredge zucchini in egg whites then in crumbs. Lay in single layer on cookie sheet. Bake 400 for 30 minutes.
they were yummy. Only 145 cal. for 1/4 recipe