Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 AM

Re: separate section for embroidery:

I would like a separate section because I would love to see discussion and pictures of embroidered quilts all in one place. I would prefer that it be part of the QB as I'm not likely to go to it if it's a separate board as my main interest is quilting and this is the one I frequent most often. As far as it becoming "crafty" - since this is QB, most of the people using the embroidery section would also be quilters so it's unlikely to have much of a crafty flavor. Can't say ALL, but I wouldn't expect a craft-person would even venture over to QB.

JMHO.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Suz

I just found this thread and have only read the first 10 pages, but promise to catch up. I hope this information is not redundant, but my favorite embroidery design site is: http://www.oregonpatchworks.com/collections.php?id=HIA (HIA is a design team called Hatched in Africa".) Everyday you will get a listing for the designer of the day and the special. And there are free designs scattered within many choices. Sometimes the discount is 70% and the designs of many are just wonderful. Today she has designs for $7 for a grouping. Enjoy!!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 AM

I have the ERA universal. I love it. I have taken certain parts of designs with the ERA, wrote sayings, slightly enlarged and made smaller, etc. However, I have not done much of my own digitizing with it. There is a learning curve, but it is definitely well worth the money just for being able to do these things and seeing the embroidery designs on the computer. My embroidery machine has a small screen, is in black and white and sometimes looks like a blob. The ERA Universal is a full working digitizing program, if you want it to be. Can't go wrong!

Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
It seems there is a lot of support for having a separate place for this discussion. By the way, I'm suggesting this for the Quilting Board, not an off board site...similar to the Vintage Machines site and "recipies" and general chit-chat, etc. I for one, would still be on the quilting discussions, because that's what I do most. But I've found this discussion to be very valuable as I am a beginner as far as embroidery goes. And I would never have bought the machine if I didn't intend to use it in quilting. I'm interested in learning to do actual quilting with it on small quilts.

I've ordered the Stitch Era Universal CD and it should be here tomorrow. I hope I don't have any problems downloading it. I think there is a site to help with that. Anyone have that program? Do you like it? If I don't like it, at least I haven't wasted too much money on it!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 PM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Fab-ra-holic, beautiful work! Did you do the denser designs on the quilt before you quilted it?
Krystyna,
Thank you for the compliments. I did all the blocks of emb. prior to the sandwich and quilting. However, on one of my quilts, I did some quilting on my emb. machine with all three layers. It was a little tricky, but, I managed it.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 PM

I have a Brother SE 350 and haven't done anything yet. i haven't been able to sew for a few wks and have so many projects I keep promising myself I'm going to do and that includes learning how to use this machine. My DH retired recently and my time isn't my own like it used to be so I'm trying to find time to do the things I want. I would love to join with you ladies and learn I think I said I would before and I don't remember seeing anything about it. I know someone e-mailed me that has the same machine but I just haven't got to it. Please feel free to PM me with info. Sue
Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]330549[/ATTACH]
A Red Hat Society wall quilt I made for my sister using embroidery
The colors are not great but the borders are red and purple.
Attached Thumbnails dscn5705.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
I have the ERA universal. I love it. I have taken certain parts of designs with the ERA, wrote sayings, slightly enlarged and made smaller, etc. However, I have not done much of my own digitizing with it. There is a learning curve, but it is definitely well worth the money just for being able to do these things and seeing the embroidery designs on the computer. My embroidery machine has a small screen, is in black and white and sometimes looks like a blob. The ERA Universal is a full working digitizing program, if you want it to be. Can't go wrong!
My CD came today and I easily put it on my computer, registered it, then waited for the confirmation email. I finally notified the dealer I purchased from and she thinks it is being blocked as "spam". I have asked for an email address to put in my address books on both computers, since my spam is being blocked by a program from my email server. I hope that will take care of it, because I'm anxious to play with it! I had ordered "Catalog It!" from Amazing Designs and I've had nothing but trouble with it. My designs are all weird colors and I thought I could put my thread in and it would change everything at once. But you have to use little chips at the bottom and change each color separately! Lots of work! I feel like I just wasted my money on it.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Swap Hosts

For those of you who would love to have an embroidery machine, but are hesitant to spend a lot, I just got an email from Brother about the new PE-500 for under $300 MSRP. It only has a 4x4 hoop, but it's the perfect machine to get started with on a budget. And, I'm sure you'll be able to find it for well under $300!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 PM

Like another I just saw this thread too and would also Love to see another section added to the QuiltingBoard for embroidery and quilts.
For embroidery I have a Viking Designer SE, Pfaff CV, and Brother 10 needle.
I fell in love with the embroidery machine when I first got it 12 years ago.
When I started out I did the usual, napkins and towels, but now I love to make quilts with embroidered centers or blocks; and to dress up clothes. I had a white denim vest that was 15 years old and I could never part with it, and it now has been given new life with embroidery on the back and on the pockets and the top. I find myself checking a local thrift store for items that are new or barely worn and embroider them too - this is a great way to also get used to your machine and stabilizers, that way a lot of money has not been spent on the item and you feel great about the results.
I also buy blank tablecloths on sale and embroider them, and on the round decorative ones, I also add trim.
On the last one I couldn't find any frogs so I could arrange each section on a round tablecloth so I made my own FSL ones. (free standing lace).
Quilts are the best ever to embroider - I just finished embroidering a design to look like quilting on every block, and even did the entire border using the embroidery machine.
Thanks for letting me "speak"
karenSue
Old 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM

I have taken classes from quilt university.com
on embroidery that were very helpful.I took classes from Joanne Winn great instructions and patterns came with the class.I have Babylock Ellegante and Master Works for Digitzing.I will show pict later.

Last edited by bluesnowdoe; 04-26-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: left off .com