Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you have responded? >

How would you have responded?

How would you have responded?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:04 PM

I want to know how this turns out. Every detail, if you please...
Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 PM

I found this thread to be very interesting as I have run in to the same situation on more than 1 occasion. First of all I would definitely not lie to her about why I don't want to give her a copy. When you are doing the right thing there should be no reason to feel you have to lie about it. Was this originally offered as a block of the month where each person just paid for that month's pattern? If so, what you might want to do is suggest she contact the designer to see if she can also buy it one month at a time. That way the designer still gets paid, but it wouldn't be such a huge outlay at once for the other person.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:15 PM

[/quote]... However, why is it okay then to sell it to somebody else to use AFTER you have used it? It doesn't give the creator any more money, it just basically gives you, the user, a free pattern. Just one of those things that makes you go, hmmmmm.[/quote]

Gina, it is perfectly legal to sell your copy of a book, pattern, etc. so long as you do not make a photocopy of it first. It is the reproduction of the original copy that is a violation of copyright law. Very rarely will you ever see the patterns being sold for what the original purchaser paid for it so they really wouldn't be getting a free pattern. The exceptions to this is when a popular book goes out of print and people are willing ("foolish") enough to spend way more than the book is worth to buy a copy that comes up for sale through EBay, etc.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by rslindiana
Originally Posted by shequilts
A close friend of mine designed and copyrighted a beautiful 12 Days of Christmas BOM. I participated and gladly paid the monthly fee. Like so many exceptional BOMs, it wasn't cheap!
Tonight, a mutual acquaintance of both the designer and me, called to ask if I had made the BOM. I responded that I had. She immediately said, "Oh goody, I'll have to get a copy. It's too expensive to buy."
I was floored! I said, "You know it's copyrighted." She did not back up one inch. She proceeded to try to make a date to come by and get the pattern. I literally made up every excuse in the world why not this week. I have no intention of giving it to her, but don't want a confrontation. I just keep hoping she'll forget about it if I make it inconvenient for her.
I'm so annoyed about this. I know what I'm going to do and I'll end up having to end this relationship.
What would you have done?
I would try to be honest, non-confrontational, non-judgemental, and firm that she's not getting the pattern from me... I would call HER and say 'Just wanted you to know I checked with Mrs. Designer, we're close friends you know and I can ask her anything, and she said I can't give you my pattern. I purchased it for my use only. Sorry. Here is her number if you want to call her yourself."
OOOOOO! This is a really good one! :-)
Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Janet Espeleta
First of all I would definitely not lie to her about why I don't want to give her a copy. When you are doing the right thing there should be no reason to feel you have to lie about it.
I agree 100,000,000 times over. Why are we, the honest ones, feeling like we have to hem haw around, beat around the bush, & tell white lies? Old fashioned honesty is getting lost in our society, when what we should be able to do is openly hold people accountable.

Stand up for what you believe in. Tell the friend 'No' with a blunt, to the point, explanation. If this "friend" doesn't like it, that is her problem. You will feel better at the end of the day knowing you did what was right & upstanding.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Amen.

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
Thank her for the complement of appreciating your quilt so much that she would like to make one of her own. Tell her that you appreciate the value of your other friends creativety and feel that it is wrong to make a copy of a pattern for one friend at the expense of another. You are being true to both friends and if she takes offense at your words and non action that's her choice.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by Janet Espeleta
First of all I would definitely not lie to her about why I don't want to give her a copy. When you are doing the right thing there should be no reason to feel you have to lie about it.
I agree 100,000,000 times over. Why are we, the honest ones, feeling like we have to hem haw around, beat around the bush, & tell white lies? Old fashioned honesty is getting lost in our society, when what we should be able to do is openly hold people accountable.

Stand up for what you believe in. Tell the friend 'No' with a blunt, to the point, explanation. If this "friend" doesn't like it, that is her problem. You will feel better at the end of the day knowing you did what was right & upstanding.
The problem is that when we state what our values are - we frequently come across as saying they are LACKING in values. That may be or not - sometimes it's just different values - but unless we explain what we are basing our (values) decision on then we haven't created common ground for dialogue. And sadly, in this day and age, I am too stressed, too busy and too tired to explain why I do what I do. So I shorthand it - and some times end up hurting feelings. The "don't buy what you can borrow" philosophy is being touted everywhere as smart and frugal - and it has created a lot of rudeness and some hard feelings when I say 'No."
Old 02-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
Be straight forward with her. Tell her exactly why you won't share--- it's the right thing.
Ditto. ....and its against the LAW!!! Both you and she could be sued!! Tell her you can't share for fear of being sued by the designer. Or if she can get permission from the designer, then you can share it with her.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I had a guild member ask to borrow one of my quilt computer programs in front of the whole guild. Talk about being on the spot to be nice and firm at the same time. I didn't want to make her look foolish for not knowing, if she didn't, about copyrights. I said the program has a license key I had to buy to use it so it only works on my computer. You'll have to buy your own copy to get the license key that will work on your computer. The member sitting next to me said I was wondering how you would handle that. She's always mooching.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
You have to SPELL It out to some people. Simply say, that YOUR copy is not up for sale that she will have to buy her own!
Good answer