Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I had such hope for Wal Marts Fabric Dept. >

I had such hope for Wal Marts Fabric Dept.

I had such hope for Wal Marts Fabric Dept.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
The last three times I have been at our local store, the fabric dept. looks like a tornado had blown through it. Fabric on bolts just hanging on floor, bolts half hanging out of the racks, stacked on top of the other bolts of fabric on racks. It is almost impossible to look at the fabric through the mess. Zippers, buttons and other notitons just thrown on bottom shelf and not hanging on their pegs. Today I waited 10 mins at the garden center check out waiting for someone to answer a page for a fabric/crafts associate for a price check. Finally she rang the item in as the price I thought it was.
I guess the newness has warn off. Oh well. Do you think it is time for another email to corrprate?
The mess is caused by the customers. If it is not kept up more lazyites will follow the trend.

I would contact corporate and the local manager. It's the local store manager who's at fault. The last I talked to a salesclerk at WalMart, she was covering Crafts and Sewing. She said most of her time was spent hanging craft items.

So not only does your WM need attention to detail, it also needs more help.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:54 AM

Walmart is cutting employees to save money. This leaves the remaining employees with too many departments to service-making customers wait.That is what is happening in our state.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

It isn't fair to judge a whole line/chain of any store/service by just one.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 AM

So sorry your WalMart personnel are slackers But the 1st step would be to the store manager -this is his/her store..Give them a reasonable time to make this dept. orderly.(They could be remodeling or re-arranging stock) IF they don't fix the problem then contact the District Manager -DM's contact info can be gotten at the service desk or on line. Store Managers are expendable..but DM's want promotions and raises
Old 08-16-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by rita222
I have a suggestion that worked for me. A couple of years ago there were many negative remarks about a certain chain store on this forum. I always got good service from them and got to know one of the sales person via phone somewhat well. When I placed my next order I casually mentioned the negative remarks from the site and suggested she read them. She told management about it and they did. several weeks later I read on this site how much improvement was made in their service. Ikinda like to think my "mentioning " of it helped. Maybe that's what you should do with Walmart too. It might work.
What a great idea. If I put a link to this subject they should be able to read the remarks here.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 AM

I was in Walmart a several weeks ago and heard that they were doing away with the fabric dept.Except for pre-cuts. I happened by where a corporate woman and a few of the managers were talking. I looked confused so the store manager asked if I needed any help. I said " I heard that Walmart is doing away with the fabric dept in every store . I also heard that they will only have pre-cuts. Is that right? The manager just smiled and said the corp. woman could answer better than he. She had the nerve to tell me that they were going to cater to a "higher clientel". That chapped my hide. I said well, this "lower class clientel quilter helped put Walmart in business and we'd darn sure help take it out of business !. The manager just smiled and winked at me. She turned 3 shades of red and walked off. I've heard since that she is no longer with corporation heads !! I guess I said too much but she's lucky I didn't smack her on the head !!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 AM

I tend to be an outspoken person so I probably would have done the same thing. Good for you . We have to stick together and if they don't hear it from us, who is going to tell them. Maybe she deserved a good smack with that kind of remark. Doesn't she realize that we "lower class" are paying her paycheck? She puts on her pants just like me. Deserved to loose her job. Or demoted to toliet cleaner.
Our store doesn't have the regular fabric dept. either. They are starting to get some of the precuts, so maybe we will get the bolts back, maybe not. Just rumors right now. Wait, wait, wait and see.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Well, you can try the Maxine approach. I was in the fabric department in a Texas store and rang the bell three times. Someone else came up and rang it once or twice. All in all, waited over 5 minutes. Then I used my "Mother Wants You Now" voice and yelled "Is Anybody Working Fabric". A lady popped out from another aisle and said "You didn't have to yell, ring the bell." I told her we'd already done that multiple times.

Found out it's easier to get out your cellphone, call the store and ask for the manager. When the manager gets on the line, tell them you're in fabric have been there XXX number of minutes and need someone to cut fabric. Works fairly well.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Noiseynana
She had the nerve to tell me that they were going to cater to a "higher clientel".
If I'm not mistaken, that's what did in J.C. Penney, Montgomery Ward, and Sears.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Our Walmart has great selection and great service if "Marilyn" is there. Otherwise, its a toss up. Everyone is very helpful, just not experienced. A very nice young mas came tohelp and was very glad to watch "me" measure and cut. He confirmed it all and I got what I wanted. My last visit I was buying Wonder-Under and the end of both bolts, about 18 inches, were very wrikled and folded and she would not measure it, just gave it to me. I couldn't convince her that it was useable. Great service.
Jan