Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I had such hope for Wal Marts Fabric Dept. >

I had such hope for Wal Marts Fabric Dept.

I had such hope for Wal Marts Fabric Dept.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:40 PM

Our fabric dept. closed down about three years ago now. Our gals were excellant, the dept. was great, and I bought often.

Mgmt. (ie corporate paper pushers) said it was not making enough profit to keep open.

A long time worker at my store said the reason help is scarce in the store is because so many of them fail the drug tests they are required to take. Apparently two weeks after they are trained and hired, they take the drug test, fail it, are fired, and the process starts over with someone new. Don't know this first hand, but she has worked for them for almost 18 years and should have a good idea of it.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:49 PM

The condition of the store is a management problem....
If everyone whose Walmart is in disarray, and poor service would write to corporate, action would be swift. To have multiple stores with poor conditions is a major reflection on the management.
This could also be the cause of loss of sales that Walmart is experiencing
Old 08-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Yeah, our new fabric department is a disaster. The bolts of fabric are just put on the shelf any which way. I long for the time when things were organized and I could find something I wanted. I don't think this is going to work unless they hire for this department specifically and they hire a person who likes to sew and craft and will take pride in what the department looks like. I don't like to drive the 15 miles to this store just because I don't like all the mess. I was hoping for some organization of the fabric, but it isn't happening
Old 08-16-2011, 05:24 PM

Well, I had a surprise today at W-M. The one and only store in the area (out of 7 within 15 miles of me) that HAD fabric, has been downsized to less than half what it was. Like yours, it looks like a tornado went through, no organization at all. Notions? They are now all but non-existent. Oh well....
Old 08-16-2011, 05:38 PM

Gee------and they wonder why their sales and profits are down?????
Old 08-16-2011, 05:42 PM

I have been sitting on my hands all afternoon,but just have to say it........I guess they da##ed if they do,and da##ed if they don"t :roll:
Old 08-16-2011, 06:02 PM

ive had same problem where no there to cut for u.at walmart. but another customer called the manager and when he got there he over heard us talking about nobody ever being there.ive been back to same walmart several times since seems like someone is there now.might need to just contact managers huh
Old 08-16-2011, 06:05 PM

We still have fabric at Wal Mart. It has been reorganized and is better than before but it still isn't well staffed. It is rare to have anyone there to cut fabric and the wait is usually long. I miss the good old days when service was important to the seller and not just the buyer.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:12 PM

My WalMart is in the process of building their fabric dept back. They carry a lot of the same fabric as JoAnn's and the prices were the same or a little cheaper. No salesperson to cut, just two ladies stocking/taking inventory. I'll check back later and see how it turns out.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:12 PM

My experience in our local store is that it is the customers who are wrecking the displays and not putting things back where they found them. A clerk told me that she cannot go home until everything is put back in place and she doesn't get paid for the extra time she has to stay aftr her regular check out time. Perhaps, as Pogo said years ago: "We have met the enemy and he is us."