Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I had such hope for Wal Marts Fabric Dept. >

I had such hope for Wal Marts Fabric Dept.

I had such hope for Wal Marts Fabric Dept.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by valsma
The last three times I have been at our local store, the fabric dept. looks like a tornado had blown through it. Fabric on bolts just hanging on floor, bolts half hanging out of the racks, stacked on top of the other bolts of fabric on racks. It is almost impossible to look at the fabric through the mess. Zippers, buttons and other notitons just thrown on bottom shelf and not hanging on their pegs. Today I waited 10 mins at the garden center check out waiting for someone to answer a page for a fabric/crafts associate for a price check. Finally she rang the item in as the price I thought it was.
I guess the newness has warn off. Oh well. Do you think it is time for another email to corrprate?
Call 1(800) WALMART and report the problem, then wait 2-3 days. Corporate folks take these 'messes' quite seriously.
Actually I sent an email today. Besides describing the disaster that is the fabric dept. at our local store, I suggested that prehaps they should also check some of their other depts. because it was not the only messy dept. I also gave them a hint on why people who buy fabric will not buy it when it has been trampled into the floor or when it is so twisted on the bolt you don't know if your getting an accurate cut. I included a link to this board and told them that if they would like to read comments check it out. I told them there were good and bad comments.
Funny I went in there today because I needed some fusible fleese for a project. There was an assistant manager as well as an associate working the dept. Now since it had only been a short time since I sent my email, I don't think it was because of that. Now they also have a new electronic door bell thingy that you ring to get their attention. It worked well once it got turned on, but it wasn't when I rang. I thought maybe it sent a signal to a pager or something, but no. I really didn't wait long this time and the girl working is one who I have delt with before and enjoy having her wait on me. I know she quilts because we had a conversation once before. The place was still a mess and needed some serious organizing.
If they gave me the job, I would have it organized in no time. Of course I wouldn't have time to write emails either so that would make them happy. LOL
Old 08-16-2011, 06:33 PM

My local W-M never lost their fabric department, and I have found nice fabric there, though you have to be selective.
Recently, granddaughter and I decided to make her a pillowcase to take to camp. We also picked out several bolts of fabric for other projects, and found a sign on the counter..."see fitting room or electronics for assistance". I walked over to the fitting room, asked for help, and the employee paged someone. Went back and waited, waited, waited. No one came. Went back to fitting room. Woman no longer there. No employees in sight.
Walked over to electronics...employee talking with another customer, would not even make eye contact. Waited, waited, waited..... Didn't ever acknowledge my presence or make eye contact.
Finally gave up, left the 8 bolts on the cutting table and exited the store. Bought fabric for granddaughter elsewhere, where they wanted my money!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Our fabric dept. closed down about three years ago now. Our gals were excellant, the dept. was great, and I bought often.

Mgmt. (ie corporate paper pushers) said it was not making enough profit to keep open.

A long time worker at my store said the reason help is scarce in the store is because so many of them fail the drug tests they are required to take. Apparently two weeks after they are trained and hired, they take the drug test, fail it, are fired, and the process starts over with someone new. Don't know this first hand, but she has worked for them for almost 18 years and should have a good idea of it.
Well duh!.... You don't work someone for 2 weeks and then do the drug screen. You do it as soon as they are hired. A simple and cheap cheek swab and you're done. (I'm an RN with Occ. Health background)
Old 08-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
I think Walmart is a "get what you pay for" store... if not in quality in service... :-/
That's what I was going to say...
there is a lot of truth to that saying and when it comes to my quilts, I buy the best I can afford.

WalMart to me is for disposable items. (I don't know when I last set foot in one, frankly).
Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

Our Walmart is so nice, but they are diffrent everywhere!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by pgthom
Originally Posted by wvdek
Our fabric dept. closed down about three years ago now. Our gals were excellant, the dept. was great, and I bought often.

Mgmt. (ie corporate paper pushers) said it was not making enough profit to keep open.

A long time worker at my store said the reason help is scarce in the store is because so many of them fail the drug tests they are required to take. Apparently two weeks after they are trained and hired, they take the drug test, fail it, are fired, and the process starts over with someone new. Don't know this first hand, but she has worked for them for almost 18 years and should have a good idea of it.
Well duh!.... You don't work someone for 2 weeks and then do the drug screen. You do it as soon as they are hired. A simple and cheap cheek swab and you're done. (I'm an RN with Occ. Health background)
Most businesses what require drug testing do it when the individual is hired. Anyone not willing to leave a urine sample (taken under specific guide lines) isn't hired.

I also believe in unannounced random testing.

I also am an RN (retired) having worked in industry and also for a primary care physician who was also the Director of the Drug and Alcohol Treatment Center at one of our area hospitals.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:16 AM

Well I would like to say, I am thrilled that WM is coming back with fabric. I know that I as a homemaker am having to stretch the food farther, do more of the housework so the kids can work more. WM is doing the same thing. Adding more work to employees from other departments, because of the economy. I went to a Joann's the other day. The ladies were rude. The material was the same material I saw at WM, except at WM it was 5.00 a yard cheaper. You could tell that the department was changing it's stock at WM, but all in all I was happy not to be gouged by the higher prices. Come to think of it my house isn't quite as tidy as it was before the heat wave. I think in time WM will be able to put an employee in the yardage dept. That will probably solve most of the problems.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
The last three times I have been at our local store, the fabric dept. looks like a tornado had blown through it. Fabric on bolts just hanging on floor, bolts half hanging out of the racks, stacked on top of the other bolts of fabric on racks. It is almost impossible to look at the fabric through the mess. Zippers, buttons and other notitons just thrown on bottom shelf and not hanging on their pegs. Today I waited 10 mins at the garden center check out waiting for someone to answer a page for a fabric/crafts associate for a price check. Finally she rang the item in as the price I thought it was.
I guess the newness has warn off. Oh well. Do you think it is time for another email to corrprate?
Talk to the management in the store. It is clear that the person who is working in that area does not know anything about sewing. Sometimes, they can switch people around by asking for someone with experience with quilting and crafts to work in that department.

One time in another city, I taught a very nice gentleman clerk how to cut fabric! He was filling in, and had no clue,
and was quite grateful for the lessons.
From the store's point of view, it is hard to keep all those different departments open 24/7.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:02 AM

I would definitely send them an email. Or call them. It's easy 1-800-Walmart. I know I've called them enough. LOL.
Just tell them your tired of the treatment your getting in that store and they will go from there. Some stores just don't have enough employees to cover all the depts.
Will tell you one thing they will ask though. Have you told the store manager about your problem? If not you may want to.
I know our local hasn't started yet. But I do know they are restocking a lot of the stores at this time.
I'm glad they are getting it back into them. I can afford it and still my quilts like I like. I have quilts that are 27 years old made out of Walmart Fabric.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle
Sadly there are lots of lazy people in the work force. This is just proof of it, they would prefer to stay home and have a check sent to them. Management is one of them too. Some people take no pride in their work, no matter how much they are paid. Just the way it is. It wouldn't matter where they work.
No, sorry this is not true. I work at Walmart. They don't have enough staff. I have one co-worker who has to cover 4 different departments. Other co-workers who are put on the floor are always pulled off the floor to work the cash register. Then they get in trouble because the department they are in charge is trashed because they weren't there doing their job. The managers don't even care that were pulled from their department to work the registers.

If people really hated shopping there so much then they would stop shopping there. Because really if we help you when we are off the clock we get fired. If someone gets hurt because they decided to cut their own fabric and cut themselves or couldn't wait and climbed a ladder and fell then some associate would most likely be held responsible and either be written up or worse.