Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilting Survey.

1. Julie from PA
    2. I learned at church quilting bees during the late '70s
    3. I love the creativeness. And I love to touch fabric
    4. Yes, I've taught several classes and friends.
    5. Oh my what differences - my step-mother used a size 14 (very very short) needle to hand quilt - no machine quilting allowed. I like using size 8 or 9 needles and definitely machine quilting allowed.
    6. Was part of quilting groups, just this one at present.
    7. Oh yes, quilting is part of my heritage. I have two quilts made by my XMIL that I will hand quilt for my kids to pass on.
    8.The best times of my day are spent at my sewing machine. I am so pleased with the result (most of the time).
    9.My favorite are complicated pieced quilts but simple ones as well. I like to learn new techniques.
    10. Most of my quilts go to project linus, charities, hurricane relief. I keep very few.
    11. Sometimes a mistake is ok and sometimes I'll rip out a whole quilt to get rid of the mistake. Depends!
    12. the whole process from choosing the fabrics, colors to seeing how the choice looks at the end.
    13. The quilt represents me and my handiwork.
    14. Contemporary quilting is just something different. It is artwork in a form other than paint. Value? it is in the eye of the beholder.
    15. History is important, who made it, why, fabric identity.
    16. There is a peace in quilting. BUT if you don't like to do it, DON'T.
    17. Mostly alone.
    18. Don't know if it is a family tradition, but if not, the tradition starts with me.
    19. Memories of the dear sweet spicy old ladies who quilted around the frame at church inthe '70s. I was shocked at some of the things they said; now find myself the dear old lady and hope I can be like them. No quilts in particular, just threading needles for them, because they couldn't see the eye. I loved those ladies.
    20. Any stories or memories - I could write a book. see above.

Please feel free to use anything I've written for your project. Good luck on the grade.

If anyone would like to provide me with some information, feel free to email your responses or private message me or answer me in this board.

1. What is your name and where are you from? Carolyn from California

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? First class was through our local recreation center about 18 years ago. I had hoped to take more classes, but there were not enough attendees so they were cancelled.

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) I like seeing the projects come together and then completing them . There is something wonderful about the shared experiences of getting together with other quilters and discussing our craft/art.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? I have taught others paper piecing and English paper piecing within my small group of quilting friends.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? When I first started there didn’t seem to be such a rush to make lots of quilts in a short period of time. I feel that some folks feel compelled to make lots of quilts instead of enjoying the process at a slower pace. I do like that machine quilted pieces are now acceptable as part of the process, however.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? I belong to a small group of 14 women who get together weekly to quilt, sometimes knit and share our lives.

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? To the best of my knowledge none of my ancestors were quilters, but I am sure they must have been out of necessity. I liked the idea of making something from scraps that would have been wasted, but found use…true recycling.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? Satisfaction in knowing I made something worthwhile and sometimes lovely to see.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? I have done pieced, paper pieced, English paper pieced, cathedral window style, appliqué, whole cloth and strip. I enjoy quilt as you go methods.

10. Who do you make quilts for? For anyone who would like one including my grandson, husband, dog, relatives and friends.

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? I usually get out the seam ripper and have at it. Sometimes if the mistake is an error of color, patterns or like, it gets donated to charity including dog shelters.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? The pattern as it relates to the colors.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? To me a blanket is one layer while a quilt must include batting of some type. They are also much warmer than crocheted afghans.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? With the tools that are available today quilting is process that can be enjoyed on many levels from rank beginners to master crafts people. Instead of them being just utilitarian bed coverings they can become works of art to be put on the wall, tables, or worn on the body.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? Only that it is a tradition with a long history that, unfortunately, was not given much importance in its documentation. However, since it has been done mostly by women for many years, it gives a sense of connection with these past generations.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? Yes, everyone should take in at least one modern major quilt show to see the variety of the art/craft today.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? Both

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? Not part of my family’s tradition.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. Over 50 years ago I saw three generations of country folk women (a grandmother, mother and daughter) making a sunbonnet sue quilt by hand using flower sacks. The vision of them working together on this project has stayed with me ever since and I decided then that I had to make one like it some day.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? Some of the quilts where I have spent the most time and effort were at some point put down for our dog to sleep upon. I was not upset as I make them to be of use not tucked away like a treasure. I make one for my grand niece which I hoped she would carry about, use on the floor to watch TV etc., but her mother thought it was too nice so made it into a wall piece for her. I wanted the quilt to be loved and to me this meant used. It was odd in that I had made one for her mother when she was a baby and she wore it out carrying it all about.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in an informal class project? yes

That's all. Thank you all so much!

Jenny.

I would be glad to answer questions. I have quilted all my life and learned from my grandmother. I am now teaching my grandkids.

1. Anne from Bakersfield, California

2. Took my first class in 1997 from a lady that started a group at my church, but didn't get seriously into it until 2001. that's when I took a log cabin class at a quilt shop.

3. Relaxation, creativity, family, friends and for a children's hospice.

4. Yes, My good friend Janice. My grand-daughters Maya now 8 yrs. old but began teaching her to sew at age 5 and Marissa who is 6 yrs. old, her first class was last Saturday. Also, taught a class of 12 ladies and two children at my church which began in January of 2008. I taught one Saturday each month with our last class ending in September. The finished quilts were sent to a children's hopsice in Orange County, CA.

5. Not really, about the only thing I can think of is that I'm more efficient, less wasteful and more creative. I like to design my own patterns.

6. I've been to two guild meetings but have never joined. I get together with my sister, grandkids and my friend Janice occasionally when I'm not teaching.

7. Actually, it is part of my heritage. My Mom was a quilter. I loved seeing her unique quilts. She was self taught and was very creative. I wish I would have paid more attention when she was quilting but I wasn't interested in quilting as a teenager. I was more interested in making clothing.

8. I love to quilt. If only my Mom could see me now, she'd be so proud. I love the fact that I'm doing something that she loved to do and I'm now passing it down to my grand-children. It's very relaxing and the finished products not only warm bodies but also warm the hearts of those who receive them.

9. I've made many different patterns. The easiest is probably the Court House Steps log cabin. The most difficult was the Tree of Life, a lot of 1 inch squares, which Janice and I made together for our Pastors wife. I love the challenge of making something that looks like it's beyond my expertise, so there isn't one design I like over another.

10. See answer # 3

11. I'm a perfectionist (they call me anal), I rip it out and do it right!

12. The finished product and the overall beauty of it.

13. A lot of work goes into the making of a quilt. From the selection of fabric, cutting of fabric, piecing, layering, quilting and binding. It's truly a labor of love.

14. No, it hasn't lost value. No matter how you look at it there is still a lot of time invested in the making of a quilt whether it's hand pieced or machine pieced.

15. I know very little about it's history but if it weren't for the early quilters working out the quirks we wouldn't be where we are today with the new tools and easier ways of getting the job done. (rotary cutter, matts, etc.)

16. Everyone should give it a try. Take a class or two or check your PBS station for a quilting show. There are also online classes for those do-it-yourselfers.

17. Mostly alone when I'm trying to get a special one done. See # 6 above.

18. See # 7 above.

19. My Beloved Mom, she's been with the Lord since 1984. I still have a few that she made and I cherish them.

20. Oh yes, I'm so proud of my grand-daughter Maya. On completion of her very first quilt she donated it to the children's hospice and attached a heartfelt note for the recipient. At 8 years of age she's learning to put others before herself. She also made another quilt and donated it to the local cancer society, it was auctioned off for $125.00 at their fund raiser last month. Talk about a proud grandma!!! By the way, yesterday, she machine quilted (longarm) one that she'll be keeping for herself.

21. Sure, why not. Let us know what you get as a grade :)

1. What is your name and where are you from? Natalie from Northern KY

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? I taught myself at home from books and internet in the last year.

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) I liked to sew and knit, but I wanted to make something that would last a long time and be cherished. No one else in my (living) family quilts right now, and this was a way to set myself apart and create something beautiful that would give me pleasure creating and giving to people.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? No

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? I've just been doing it a year, so I can't comment really. But I prefer the traditional pieced and applique quilts and don't like the contemporary art-style quilts.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? No, I wish I were though.

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? Sort of. My grandmothers made simple quilts, but I don't know that they created anything elaborate or considered themselve accomplished master quilters. They did it out of necessity and thrift.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? I feel a creative release...it gives me pleasure and allows me to escape. I enjoy creating and seeing peoples reactions when I give them a quilt.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? Pieced quilts and samplers. I am still learning. I love traditional patterns and fabrc from the 1930s.

10. Who do you make quilts for? family members and babies

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? I get frustrated, but amazingly this is the only thing that I am patient with myself about. I just keep trying over and over again. I may take a break away from it for a little bit, but I don't feel like a failure. I still have confidence in myself that I can figure it out, and I don't feel like that in any other area of my life right now.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? The softness and the colors.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? The time that is put into a handmade quilt makes it better than any other, even a store-bought quilt. It's a labor of love that makes them cherished and more valuable.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? I feel like quilting has gained value by looking at the number of quilt shops and variety of patterns and fabrics available just for quilters now. It is still a dying art I feel like though, especially among my generation. (20-somethings)

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? Yes, the thrifty nature of ladies, their art, their usefulness...it's a heritage I'm proud to take part in.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? That it's not just blue haired ladies who quilt! And that it can be very rewarding!!

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? Alone, but I wish I had quilting friends.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? Even though quilting is not very prominent in my family, I feel I am carrying on an important craft. I feel like I am strengthening and creating a tradition that hopefully becomes I legacy I can leave my own descendants.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. My Nana made a wonderfully soft scrap quilt out of my aunts old shirts and dresses. I adopted it as my blankie and still have it to this day. It has a few rips and I hope to reconstruct it soon.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? The last quilt I made as a gift was for a coworker's baby. When I gave it to her she was so excited she almost cried. She was thrilled that her baby had something handmade now. It made me swell with pride and joy. Quilting does that in a way that is unlike anything else I've ever done.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? Absolutely!

1. What is your name and where are you from? Deann Richardson, Rustburg, Virginia

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? Self-taught, 10+ years ago, quit about 5 years ago and re-started one year ago
    3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) originally i thought it was neat, and very interesting this time around my grandson inspired me
    4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? no - LOL

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? Yes, i'm older wiser and some days more patient. I actually read instructions now, the internet is more readily available and chock full of how to's, videos, etc.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? yes this one and i belong to a quilting guild
    7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? No, my mother never quilted, i recently found out that my grandmother did some quilting
    8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it?
    Relaxation most of the time, i quit smoking almost a year ago, and needed something to keep me busy.
    9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style?
    Double Wedding Ring, pinwheel, lovers knot, kids quilts. PinWheels, Triangles YUCK

10. Who do you make quilts for? my grandson, my kids, and charity

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? SEAM RIPPER!

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? The colors

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? it's home made from the USA (hehe) and it's not from India, pakistan, china, korea, etc etc etc

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? There are no quilt police to each his own.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? Yes the history is a part of quilting, I prefer more traditional patterns for me personally

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? No

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? Most of the time quilting is done by myself, I have a friend that I work with or call. I do belong to a quilting guild which is social by nature and the Show and Tell is to die for! I believe joining the guild has forced me to be more conscientious about my quilting to do a better job, pay closer attention and to as Emeril would say Turn it up a notch!

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you?

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share?

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? yes

Jenny. [b]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pompeii
    If anyone would like to provide me with some information, feel free to email your responses or private message me or answer me in this board.

1. What is your name and where are you from?
    Henry / North Carolina

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt?
    I began quilting a little over a year ago after being interested in quilting most of my life from watching my grandmother and grandfather quilt.

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc)
    I quilt because it is family tradition and because I find it to be peaceful and relaxing.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? Yes one of my nieces.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition?
    There are differences in my work if thats what you mean. I have gotten much better at it.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? I am a member of this board and thats all.

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why?
    Yes it is part of my heritage because my Paternal grandparents quilted together and my grandfather learned how to do it from ym grandmother, who learned it from her mother as she learned it from her mother and so forth.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting?
    Why do you enjoy it?
    I get a sense of peace and relaxtion. I enjoy it because it takes me away from the world for a while and lets me be creative.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style?
    Applique has been hard for me and strip piecing the easiest. I do not really have a favorite style.

10. Who do you make quilts for?
    Family, friends, recently made a couple for charity

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake?
    If I make a mistake it stays a part of the quilt. I do not rip out the mistake. I let it stay in because it makes the quilt more unique.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt?
    Depends on the quilt.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you?
    The thought and love that went into making it.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why?
    Not sure

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history?
    The history of quilting means to me family, my family history because quilts played a big part in my family history. It helped bind the family together by bringing family together. How to quilt was passed down from one generation to the next since my great great great great grandmothers time.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting?
    Just how fun it is to do. How also it is not just a woman's art form/craft. Men quilt and can be pretty good at it.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both?
    Quilting is both for me. A chance to create alone and a chance to get together with others to quilt. I will be teaching quilting soon to a couple of my friends every Sunday and this will be a time for us to get together and socialize as well as quilt.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you?
    I do feel that i am carrying on a tradition and its important to me because it represents where my family has been and what they have accomplished. Its important to because it helps to continue the love that was put into all the old quilts we have from generations before and creates that sense that the family spirit is continuing even if some are already gone on.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share.

I remember my grandmother and grandfather quilting my quilt together when i was 10 years old. My grandfather died shortly after it was finished and that is the one quilt I have that I hold most dear to me.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? See number 19.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? Yes

Jenny.
    [i][b]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2