Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Terribly unhappy with embroidery work done for me (pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    I've pondered over this for the past day and a half now and I think I've decided what I'll do. I'm going to print out some letters in a font I like, trace them on to fusible and applique those letters on to a new piece of banner. Applique that new banner over the old one, then cut the old one away. A little more work but I'm just worried that I'll spend even more time quilting on this cruddy banner, only to find out it didn't work to even the puckers out. Then I've really got a mess on my hands. It's at a fixable point now so I'm going to fix it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!
    Rachel

It's nice to see that you have found a solution.
    I bet that that will be the nicest "Let it Snow" banner that I have ever seen! Please post a photo when you are done!
    TreeFrog

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    Is there anyway you can carefully cut the banner out and applique a slightly larger one on there? There may be someone here who could do the embroidery on the new one for you.
    This would be my suggestion also. Maybe not cut out the existing one but remove the stitches and then applique a new embroidered banner on top. Sorry this happened to your lovely work. Stabilizing can be tricky but if they are in the business, they should have known better.

That sucks. I would at least ask for your money back. But I think it still looks very nice. after quilting, the problems may not be as noticeable.

Definetly not stabilized properly. I would not recommend trying to take out the stitching as, by the very nature of the numerous needle punctures during the embroidery process, the underlying fabric will have been compromized and no longer be sound. Eddie's suggestion of stippling the banner area seems to me to be your best solution.

Although this does not solve your problem, I was thinking last night (as I went to bed) of some other things that might have caused this that can be avoided in the future. Many embroidery alphas are digitized in a certain size. If the size is changed more or less than 20% problems can develop. Large lettering can be a problem because of the way the letter stitching is done. I am not a digitizer but have delt with large lettering. If hse changed the lettering size from the sample you saw or the size it was digitized for this could also be a cause. Next time pick a font style, pick a size, have her sew it out on a sample of your fabric and see how it looks. Did you have just a single piece of fabric? Is her stabilizer still on your project? Whatever....have them remove the stitches and refund your money. Sometimes people's expectations are unrealistic but I think they should still make good on it. I know I would. If you really like that font she might be able to stitch out just the outline stitching as a template for applique letters....or print them out for you to use. Best wishes on dealing with you disappointment....

Blog Entries
    This post has been looked at 5,930 times.
    Amazing. (I have been back at least 5 times.)

Oh what a sin :( that really sux I can get my own to look better than that and I'm just learning embroidery. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I know, if you're like you say, and won't say anything, just tell Mom it's made with lots of love. She will love it, puckers and all. Wendy

Ooops, I see you have a solution, that's good too :)

I agree with Eddie, not enough stabilizer or either the wrong kind, ask me how I know? Brr r r r

First, I am assuming you paid for this work and why pay for something that was not done well? If this is a business, I am surprised they would offer it back to you, looking like that. Take others advice and go back for a talk with them about it.

The embroidery was not done well, stabilizer was not used properly, tension was probably too tight, not hooped properly, etc. I hate to confess how many times I have taken out embroidery designs & fonts that I did not like. I would first try taking it all out...or ask the person that did the work to do it.

Using a seam ripper and working mostly on the back, you can pick at the embroidery and remove it. A time consuming job, but for a major project like you have, it will be worth it. I use a seam ripper, hat pin, tiny sharp scissors and work on it slowly...it will come out. As far as holes in the fabric after you remove the stitching, just take a washrag and wet the fabric. The holes will close up. Let it dry, then spray it lightly with starch and iron it. It will look like new! Ask me how I know all about this!

I don't know where you are, I am in Alabama, but if you were close I would gladly do it for you. I have become a "professional" with this. Ha-ha!

Try putting the embroidered piece face down on a very thick bath towel folded several times. then pressing the piece on its back side, stretching out the wringles holding the iron down hard on the back of piece into the fluffy towel. This has worked in some cases when I have had a problem that is similar. Give it a try. I do embroidery. Pat

I would take it back and let them know that you are not satified with the work. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    I've pondered over this for the past day and a half now and I think I've decided what I'll do. I'm going to print out some letters in a font I like, trace them on to fusible and applique those letters on to a new piece of banner. Applique that new banner over the old one, then cut the old one away. A little more work but I'm just worried that I'll spend even more time quilting on this cruddy banner, only to find out it didn't work to even the puckers out. Then I've really got a mess on my hands. It's at a fixable point now so I'm going to fix it.

That sounds like a good way out and I am sure your beautiful work will be set off wonderfully by your applique.

I understand that you don't want to confront the person who messed up, but, after you have fixed up the quilt and cut away the offending part, would you consider writing to them, sending back the cut out piece, telling them that that you were really displeased with the work and were not able to use it and had to rework the whole thing because of what they did wrong. You might want to print out this thread and enclose it as well so they can see that a whole bunch of women (and men) who work with textiles were pretty unanimous that this was a really bad piece of work.

This lets them know that what they did is not good enough, saves you from having to go in there and say it all to their face, and, if they are honourable, they can write back and offer to refund you!

Do please post a pic when you are done- from what I can see, this quilt looks gorgeous!
    This sounds like the perfect response! Your wall quilt will be done properly and the embroidery establishment will be given a chance to see their mistake (before and after). Perhaps that will prevent this type of thing from happening to another customer! Good Luck.

I agree, they did not use stabilizer under the fabric. I also use a thin water soluble stabilizer on top to prevent this type of puckering. I would take it back and kindly ask for them to make it right.

Dee
    So sorry this happened to you. I would go back and have them rip and do the the work correctly. That is an awful job. Or have them refund and do what Eddie suggested.

Oh my gosh, they must not have used stabilizer. I'd be disapointed, too.

I am sort of new to this replying but I thought I would add my two cents worth. I work in an embroidery shop and I think your challenge here is embroidery on two layers of fabric. When she put this piece on the machine, she had to use a hoop and that hoop stretches the foundation and keeps it taut for the embroidery. When we add an applique, that piece might be ever so slightly off in the grain and once the machine started stitching, the letters will pull that fabric that is not hooped and hence the puckers. I tell quilters who are planning on embroidery on a quilt piece to mark the pattern on the top of their fabric and leave me a generous margin so that I can hoop it. Then I give them back the piece with the backing on it for them to applique it. I don't recommend their doing the embroidery directly on the quilt. While it is certainly not their best work, many people who do embroidery for a living do not have a clue about what quilting is and they probably think it is okay. Professional embroidery and quilting are really two different things and not every shop has somebody who understands the difference.

Your embroidery can be removed and by whoever did it. They should have a small shaver that they will use on the back side and cut through the bobbin threads and then pick out the top. I would then remove the banner, have them do the embroidery on just a single layer of fabric and then applique it down. The foundation should not be compromised and your finished product will be something that you will be much happier with. I hope this helps your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow55

I think you have the right idea! Hope it works out for you! Wish I was closer, I'd help you out. I do lots of embroidery & quilting & both at the same time! (embroider on quilts!

That's what I would do :thumbup: :thumbup: Good luck!
    me too...easiest solution...I would take the cut off piece and show them why you had to replace it. At least they won't say "no problem" next time :lol:

[quote=LindaR]
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow55

I think you have the right idea! Hope it works out for you! Wish I was closer, I'd help you out. I do lots of embroidery & quilting & both at the same time! (embroider on quilts!) If you cut out the old piece, take it back to the ones who did it with copies of this forum! at least get your $$ back!!!

That's what I would do :!
    me too...easiest solution...I would take the cut off piece and show them why you had to replace it. At least they won't say "no problem" next time :lol

Blog Entries
    What a horrible job of embroidery (as everyone here as already said) but, I certainly would not ask them to fix their mistake. I would be afraid for them to touch the project again. I think your solution is great and also agree that you should send a letter to them and the piece that they embroidered (along with copies of the pictures you took) and let them decide what they 'want' to do about the problem that they created. So sorry for what you are having to go through. Jinnie

Quote Originally Posted by quilter916
    I am sort of new to this replying but I thought I would add my two cents worth. I work in an embroidery shop and I think your challenge here is embroidery on two layers of fabric. When she put this piece on the machine, she had to use a hoop and that hoop stretches the foundation and keeps it taut for the embroidery. When we add an applique, that piece might be ever so slightly off in the grain and once the machine started stitching, the letters will pull that fabric that is not hooped and hence the puckers. I tell quilters who are planning on embroidery on a quilt piece to mark the pattern on the top of their fabric and leave me a generous margin so that I can hoop it. Then I give them back the piece with the backing on it for them to applique it. I don't recommend their doing the embroidery directly on the quilt. While it is certainly not their best work, many people who do embroidery for a living do not have a clue about what quilting is and they probably think it is okay. Professional embroidery and quilting are really two different things and not every shop has somebody who understands the difference.

Your embroidery can be removed and by whoever did it. They should have a small shaver that they will use on the back side and cut through the bobbin threads and then pick out the top. I would then remove the banner, have them do the embroidery on just a single layer of fabric and then applique it down. The foundation should not be compromised and your finished product will be something that you will be much happier with. I hope this helps your decision.
    This is the lesson I've definitely come away learning. I didn't know the "why's" behind it, but from now on I will not applique any embroidered areas first. I will leave the fabric whole and mark my applique cutting area. You've explained why that needs to be done (thank you), but my reason was so if things got messed up again, I wouldn't be ripping parts of my top out.

I'll post pictures of this hanging when I'm finished with it. Thanks everyone!

Blog Entries
    I have had an embroidery machine for five years and have never been able to remove stitches from anything I've embroidered and have the fabric look acceptable after. I would take it back to the one who did it and ask them to fix it. This is a question of the person's reputation and I would give him/her a chance to make it right. YOU are the paying customer and the bottom line is whether or not you are satisfied.

Banned
    am so sorry, you MUST return it ,demand refund AND damages, I would certainly NEVER let them near it again , if you have trading standards report it to them too.

I would take out the stitches carefully and press it. Applique fabric cut letters over it and hand blanket stitch over the edge of the letters. Make sure you put it in an embroidery hoop to keep it smooth. That may have been the problem for the first job. They should had hooped and removed any wrinkles before doing the next letters or words. Good luck. It is a great design.

Blog Entries
    can we have pictures when you get it fixed

I do hope you let the shop know that you were not happy with their work on your piece. They may not understand that it was unacceptable. If you don't feel comfortable going in person, consider writing a brief letter explaining why you were unhappy - maybe include a picture with the problems pointed out. It doesn't have to be a scathing letter, just a 'wanted you to know' type.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast