Boom 30 - Autumn

Old 08-23-2023, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Thanks, SusieQ. The one you posted was my tute for QAYG with wide sashings. I also posted one for narrow joins (no sashings) that is a bit simpler:
Quilt As You Go (QAYG) Tutorial

Boom blocks are perfect for QAYG, if you want to go that route.
I had to read "tute" several times to figure out that is short for tutorial? I love the Quilting forum quilt language -- no doubt of all quilters worldwide!! Can you tell I'm still learning and yes, I think I will try QAYG on one of my next quilts!
Old 08-23-2023, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by All2Pieces View Post
Such cute fabric, Duckling! I'm already planning a Christmas block. **grin**
Batiks! Yay! Those will be so much fun!
SewBiz, you always amaze me.
I really enjoyed doing the Christmas blocks for the last 2 Boom Swaps so I was glad to hear that somebody else was still in the Christmas mood! I know the fabric and my request to keep it simple with red and white is limiting but the memory of getting the fabric was super important. My younger sister who died, avatar GIVIO, always wanted to go with me on "the longest garage sale in Michigan" hauling a trailer and buying all sorts of stuff. Well I decided to go 2 weeks ago with a girlfriend to check that bucket list item off. At one sale I bought 25 yards of material and the candy cane print was one of them.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Duckling View Post
I really enjoyed doing the Christmas blocks for the last 2 Boom Swaps so I was glad to hear that somebody else was still in the Christmas mood! I know the fabric and my request to keep it simple with red and white is limiting but the memory of getting the fabric was super important. My younger sister who died, avatar GIVIO, always wanted to go with me on "the longest garage sale in Michigan" hauling a trailer and buying all sorts of stuff. Well I decided to go 2 weeks ago with a girlfriend to check that bucket list item off. At one sale I bought 25 yards of material and the candy cane print was one of them.
What a precious memory, Duckling. Givio was a certified Boomer, so I know she's proud of you for checking that one off the list.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Oh Reba, so sorry about your brother and how he was treated. I'm sure that experience was bewildering for him. Hope he enjoys his apt. now that you have helped him straighten it out. And very sorry for your loss of your Australian friend, and your stepmother's illness. You do have a lot on your plate! So good to hear from you! (((Hugs))) from here.

Duckling, you scored big time at the longest garage sale! I know Tricia (givio) would have loved to have been there with you. Seems like every boom we have at least one Christmas themed quilt, if not more. I have an idea for your candy cane block, if I can pull it off!

Stay cool, friends. We have nearly 100 degree heat today and are in a severe drought. Need rain badly!
Old 08-23-2023, 11:43 AM

Just two more packages to go! I plan to ship everything on Monday if everything arrives on time.

SusieQOH – 1 set - received
Cheesehead – 1 set - received
Sewbizgirl – 1 set - received

Hav4boys – 2 sets - received
Annaquilts – 2 sets - received
Terriamn – 1 set - received
Rebaquilts – 2 sets
Janice McC – 1 set - received
TravelingGramma - 1 set - received
All2pieces - 1 set - received
Duckling - 1 set - received
Lstew2212 - 1 set - received
Libster - 1 set - received
Logcabin82 - 1 set
WMUTeach - 1 set - received
Old 08-23-2023, 12:46 PM

I get annoyed with myself when I write a long post and then end up inadvertently deleting it, something I just did again.

Reba, I’m sorry you didn’t have all the help you needed for your stepbrother’s move. That must have been frustrating. It’s sad your stepmother is in declining health but obviously she trusts you. We (technically DH) was guardian for years for a family member with Alzheimer’s. We were so cautious in making decisions for them, including housing and medical care. It was an awesome responsibility for us. He stood up when other family members didn’t offer help.

Duckling, What a fun experience, great thrifting opportunities. You scored big on your fabric buy.

SBG, stay cool down there. It’s pretty miserable here this week but not as bad as it is in GA where we lived. I count my blessings. DH is getting a whole house generator to handle the outages we get here year round. I’m keeping my fingers crossed nothing happens before it’s installed.

Have a great rest of your day, Boomers.

Last edited by Janice McC; 08-23-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:42 PM

TG love your quilt especially the sashing. I am always in to big of a hurry to just finish the top so my sashing are very simple

Reba, sending big hugs. So sorry about your friend, stepmother and step brother. You are carrying a heavy load.

Duckling great way to honor your sister and will be thinking of her as I make your block.

Today I drove into Minneapolis with my oldest dd who is here for a reprieve from the Texas scorching heat. The sun just plain was brutal, felt like I was being baked even with my air on. My middle granddaughter will be leaving for college next month and we brought her a dorm size frig one of my friends had and didn’t use. Abby is a miracle child for some of the old timers here they know her story. It’s long but she has a neurological disease and at months we were told she would never walk, talk or live an average life. And now she has graduated high school and is off to college. She might not be able to finish college but just to be where she is in life is such a blessing.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Hooray, Abby!! What a great testimony. I believe she will finish and get her degree!

My surgery is tomorrow, after noon some time. I'm waiting for them to call me and tell me when to be there. Not scared. I know it will all be alright. God has me in the palm of His hand.... So today I need to give hubby a haircut (!) and do whatever I won't be able to do for a while afterwards. Prayers are welcome!
Old 08-24-2023, 11:41 AM

Sewbiz, we will definitely pray for you tomorrow. Hugs, definitely.

I got my boom package in the mail and it should arrive just in the nick of time. I decided to go with Sewbiz's suggestion and used my F8ths from the She Who Sews collection. I bought the charm pack and the layer cake as well, so I have additional fabrics should anyone run short. I added a charm so everyone will have a zip lock with all of the colors from the collection, either in the main F8 or in the charm. The theme is She Who Sews, consistent with the collection name so anything sew-ey goes, or anything you want to use. For the Christmas fabric, I did the same, it is a Riley Blake collection, I added a swatch of fabric so everyone will have a piece with all of the colors from the Warm Wishes collection by Simple Simon for Riley Blake and everyone should have a different fabric from the collection as there were 21 FQs in the bundle. Happy sewing everyone!
Attached Thumbnails img_6381.jpg   img_6380.jpg  
Old 08-24-2023, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

Oh, I love those pretty fabrics. I have yardage of many of the She Who Sews prints. Thank you for sending those, Reba! Riley Blake is at least 1/3 of my stash, not counting batiks! I suspect I'll be sneaking my way back to the sewing machine very soon. Just gotta teach hubby how to rotary cut fabric. That should be fun.