"Weigh In"

Old 02-07-2010, 07:26 PM

I wanted to share an interesting, enlightening discovery I made today. DH bought me some hand weights (I asked for some) for my birthday. 2 - 2 lbs, 1 - 3 lbs (they owe him one more of the 3 lbs weights) and my DD got me 2 - 5 lbs. Total 17 lbs. I was putting away my b-day gifts and I put all of the weights in a small box. When I picked up the box, it was very heavy. I was standing there holding it and I started to breathe a little heavier. And then it occurred to me, this is less weight than I have already lost. I walked into the kitchen (2 rooms away) and I broke a sweat and my breathing was even more labored by the time I got out there. I showed DH how this amount of weight made me feel. He saw that I was really straining to hold on to the box and he said that he should go down and pick up a 25 lbs weight to see how that felt (that is the amount he has lost).
My point is, for those who minimize their losing only 5 lbs of weight last month. I challenge you to pick up a 5 lb bag of flour or sugar and carry it around with you for just a few minutes. Then put the bag down and pat yourself on the back for every single pound you've lost. It is interesting how we don't really notice a 5 lb loss, but when you pick up five pounds it is darn heavy. Everyone keep up with your commitment. Maybe next month we will be picking up a 10 lb bag of potatoes. I'd love to try out that 25 lb weight of DH's. . .hopefully before too long.

Remember: Focus Makes Me Fabulous!

Linda
Old 02-07-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by laparshall
It was fun wasn't it???!!! I received Just Dance for Wii. Oh boy, that is a riot. Even DH was trying it out. Maybe we will go out dancing if we every really learn how to do it.
Yeah, it is fun...you try to beat you own score! :D
I have dance revolution for the Wii, is Just Dance the same or more geared to exercise?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
It was fun wasn't it???!!! I received Just Dance for Wii. Oh boy, that is a riot. Even DH was trying it out. Maybe we will go out dancing if we every really learn how to do it.
I have dance revolution for the Wii, is Just Dance the same or more geared to exercise?
I don't know, I didn't really have a chance to figure it out too much. We just picked some songs and tried to follow along. It is a lot of moving, it has a warm up mode too. How is the dance revolution?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
I don't know, I didn't really have a chance to figure it out too much. We just picked some songs and tried to follow along. It is a lot of moving, it has a warm up mode too. How is the dance revolution?

Lots of movement but I love it!! I am a music person and in my younger days took dance lessons. It certainly makes me sweat!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:42 PM

Well, I just found out that I'll be riding my bike to and from work due to bus schedule in the mornings... You can burn up to 850 calories for biking for 1 hour a day at 10-12 miles per hour. It takes 3000 calories burned to lose a pound...

plus i'll be doing a lot of lifting and stuff to remodel the store i'll be working at so maybe I'll lose some weight that way! It will be worth it... haha... maybe even after I'm done working I'll do that just for the exercise.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:45 PM

Smile while your riding that bicycle!!! Your gonna burn some major calories, Go Girl!!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:46 PM

My point is, for those who minimize their losing only 5 lbs of weight last month. I challenge you to pick up a 5 lb bag of flour or sugar and carry it around with you for just a few minutes. Then put the bag down and pat yourself on the back for every single pound you've lost. It is interesting how we don't really notice a 5 lb loss, but when you pick up five pounds it is darn heavy. Everyone keep up with your commitment. Maybe next month we will be picking up a 10 lb bag of potatoes. I'd love to try out that 25 lb weight of DH's. . .hopefully before too long.

Linda
Great reminder and encouragement! It makes me realize that 10 pounds doesn't seem like much until I visualize carrying around 10 pounds of flour. I realize how great it is to weigh that much less since the first of the year.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:50 PM

I'm trying for 5 lbs this month. It is a small goal... but it's doable... I'd like to lose twenty by June!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Just ask yourself everyday...
"Do I want to be healthy today?"
Then answer, "Just for today I will do my best, work my program..."
Thank you so much Purplemem. This is exactly what I need to print out and put on my kitchen cupboard right at eye level. I really appreciate your very positive words. Congrats on your numbers too!
Old 02-07-2010, 11:18 PM

I wanted to share an interesting, enlightening discovery I made today. DH bought me some hand weights (I asked for some) for my birthday. 2 - 2 lbs, 1 - 3 lbs (they owe him one more of the 3 lbs weights) and my DD got me 2 - 5 lbs. Total 17 lbs. I was putting away my b-day gifts and I put all of the weights in a small box. When I picked up the box, it was very heavy. I was standing there holding it and I started to breathe a little heavier. And then it occurred to me, this is less weight than I have already lost. I walked into the kitchen (2 rooms away) and I broke a sweat and my breathing was even more labored by the time I got out there. I showed DH how this amount of weight made me feel. He saw that I was really straining to hold on to the box and he said that he should go down and pick up a 25 lbs weight to see how that felt (that is the amount he has lost).

Linda
Thanks for the reminder. I used to 'throw' 50 lb. dog food bags around like there was nothing to it.

That is how much I would like to lose, but realistically around 40 lbs will do. When you gave the comparison, I about died.

Because of my back injury, I am not suppossed to lift/carry over 15 lbs. Since my back injury almost three years ago is when I started to put this weight on. Could barely walk, in pain constantly, on some steroids and immediately gained 12 lbs in three days. I also have little to any cushioning between by L4 and L5 discs. L1, L2, L3 have a hair more but not much.

Because of your comparison, I realize how much extra weight I am carrying and how hard it is on my back and my knees. I have alway's been in pretty good shape but this injury has hurt me in more ways than I can count.

Maybe my new motto this year will be, "Fit and Fabulous at 55!"
What ya think? Thanks for making me accountable to me.