Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Need Motivation Quickly! >

Help! Need Motivation Quickly!

Help! Need Motivation Quickly!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 AM

This is my suggestion too! You could put a "secret" pattern on while quilting it. Something this smart ars will never get. Go for it and get it off your table.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 AM

Since you promised your daughter, I'd probably finish that quilt ASAP and get it out of my sight so I didn't have to think of him or it one more minute. Then I'd donate the scraps, therefore getting the reminders away from all the lovely quilting you normally like to do. And, along the way, I'd say prayers for my DD and DGS who are living in a less-than-desirable situation.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:40 AM

Thank you . I needed this point of view. My SIL has a 12/6 birthday. Several years ago I bought him an expensive Alpaca cardigan so he could layer at work as needed. He sat at my dinner table after opening it and mocked about how he would look like "Mr. Rogers". Would that he were more like that man. The occsional foul mouth to my grandsons has made me want to cry in the past. No gifts from me since.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by cafegold2
Thank you . I needed this point of view. My SIL has a 12/6 birthday. Several years ago I bought him an expensive Alpaca cardigan so he could layer at work as needed. He sat at my dinner table after opening it and mocked about how he would look like "Mr. Rogers". Would that he were more like that man. The occsional foul mouth to my grandsons has made me want to cry in the past. No gifts from me since.
Don't put up with it. You are better than this! If he cannot see that, he does not deserve your time, and forgive me, but he doesn't deserve your daughter, either.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 AM

Sloan, I agree. My daughter is a saint.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:18 AM

I really try to stay out of peoples' business unless they ask me to stick my nose in, but at the same time, I never understand why people let themselves be mistreated like that. For all you know, it bothers your daughter too. I know I would smack my DH silly if he ever made a comment like that.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 AM

I just wanted to say I feel your pain, I am making a video game quilt with those same little pieces right now and it is NOT a fun project!!! I'm making one for my husband who I like an awful lot ;) and I still can barely manage to work on it, I can't imagine making one for someone that irritated me!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:22 AM

I have a question for clarification, given how this thread has gone. Does he say things like, "Why the h#%* would you do that?" or does he say, "you f*&$ing piece of sh*$!" to the kids? Sorry to be relatively graffic, but there is a difference. Keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way about cursing. In my household, they're treated for what they are, just some words in the English language. People don't take additional offense at them. Is this really an abusive situation, as some people have assumed, or is it a situation in which people are raising their family in a manner of which you don't approve, but which isn't grounds for calling children's services, either? I'm not trying to judge, just trying to lend perspective and get clarification before slamming your DD and SIL.

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
...and curses often, screaming the words at his 7 and 5 year olds (My DGS's) constantly and in front of me.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I have a question for clarification, given how this thread has gone. Does he say things like, "Why the h#%* would you do that?" or does he say, "you f*&$ing piece of sh*$!" to the kids? Sorry to be relatively graffic, but there is a difference. Keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way about cursing. In my household, they're treated for what they are, just some words in the English language. People don't take additional offense at them. Is this really an abusive situation, as some people have assumed, or is it a situation in which people are raising their family in a manner of which you don't approve, but which isn't grounds for calling children's services, either? I'm not trying to judge, just trying to lend perspective and get clarification before slamming your DD and SIL.

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
...and curses often, screaming the words at his 7 and 5 year olds (My DGS's) constantly and in front of me.

It's both, at different times. He can make demeaning comments to them that could destroy their selfesteem and then sometimes it is just general cursing....it's probably not abuse or I would have called the authorities on him long ago----in fact, somebody did call pretty recently, and the investigation found that it was not abuse. Poor parenting, not my kind of parenting to be sure, but not abuse.....In my state, as a public school teacher, I am a Mandated Reporter---that is, if I ever suspect abuse and do not report it, I can be prosecuted. Therefore I keep a tight eye on him with the kids.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts, comments and prayers. I appreciate them, as we go into the holiday season.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM

My 2 cents. You agreed to do it when your daughter asked. You are really doing it for your daughter, even though it is to be given to your sil. I like the idea of writing a scripture verse on the back-where he can see it, maybe part of the signiture as every quilter should sign their work. Maybe ask the Lord to lead you to a verse that will be effective in touching your sil. Trust in the Lord for His timing- a hard thing to do too sometimes, and ask for protection for all the family.

AND then in the future if your daughter asks you to make something for him, just tell her that you can't, that your heart isn't in it because of his behaviour.