migraine

Old 06-28-2011, 12:43 PM

There is a big, big difference between migraines and headaches - I suffer from both. Thank goodness there are medications to take when a migraine hits. The pills are $20 each (ouch!!) but they work for me! The best one for me is Maxalt MLT (MLT means it melts on your tongue). Exactly 46 minutes after I take one, the migraine is gone. If I don't take anything, I suffer for 8 hours, I vomit and then 20 minutes later I'm fine. But those 8 hours are H E L L !!! Good luck - I hope you can get a prescription for your migraines.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:22 PM

The shot thing was probably calle imitrex. That was a sumitriptan drug. Each year they come up with more and more drugs. I think I've read that many many are hormone related which is why more women get them.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM

If you check the ingredients, you'll find it's the same as regular excedrin which you can buy at a low price by mbuying walmart's generic. 200 for $3.something/
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM

I suffered with migraines all my life. A natural type doctor discovered I couldn't tolerate sugar and yeast. That was about 18 years ago. I went without these things for about 16 years and no migraines. I now eat much more of both than I should and still no migraines but have had a touch of the heamorrhoids and aching legs that were also a symptom.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM

My mom taught me a trick that helps if you can stand it. Run hot water over the back of your head in the kitchen sink, then quickly turn the hot off and the cold on, keep alternating the hot and cold till you get relief, wrap a towel with ice packs around your head. I only use this method when I ablsolutely have to because it hurts before it helps.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:03 PM

As a chronic and frequent migraine sufferer, I discovered the daily taking Omega-3 fish oil capsules (2-3 daily) has lessened them, and helps the (prescription) pain med. to work better. I discovered my HA are allergy-triggered, and probably stress-affected. But the fish oil caps helped. They take a couple weeks or so before it gets into your system enough to start helping. Also, don't wait too long to take your pain relief med., whatever it is. The less advanced the pain and accompanying symptoms are, the easier it is for you meds. to work. Best of luck! BTDT (been there, done that)
Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 PM

I have fought migraines for over 25 years. Have been on sev preventative types of meds and pain meds as well. When I had a heart attack 5 yrs ago, they yanked me off of the Imitrex. It worked pretty well (the shots). Put me back on 10 mg Maxalt & Topamax. Topamax jacks with my heart rate and blood sugar as well as made my hair fall out. Got off of that and just try to deal with it with the Maxalt & Ibuprofen 800mgs. When it gets too bad, I go to the ER for a shot of Toridol. Percocet & Hydrocodone do nothing to ease the pain. The weather is mainly the cause of mine. Any time the Barometer flucuates, there is pain and suffering until it is stable again. And then I am so wiped out for a couple of days from all of the meds. Not a pleasant way to live but I deal with it the best I can. I am is thankful that my DH is so understanding and caring when I am sick! My heart goes out to all of sufferers. I know how you feel.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:06 PM

I don't know why I am suprised at the number of posts on this. I count my blessings every day that although I have been getting them since I was about 9 - they are very controllable with a simple pain med.

I am so sorry for all of my wonderful quilter friends that have is so much harder.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 PM

I feel for you, I get them and I hate taking meds, but if I don't take a pill right away when it starts, the headache is 100 times worse. Nothing I can do to prevent them, they just happen.

Take care of yourself.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 PM

I suffered for 2 years, every single day, with a migraine headache. I met a friend who is a nurse and she told me to go to the GYN and get a blood test for hormones. I don't know how old you are, but I was peri-menopause. The Dr. prescribed bio identical hormones, and now I live head ache free. I don't know if this will work for you, but I wanted to tell you my story. It saved my sanity. Good luck.