Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-03-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by hootnannie
I find a listing on CL, next town over, for a 15-90 and an elec. 201, $50 for both or $30 each. I'm emailing her for both while doing the dance of joy only to find out that the 201 is spoken for already = I bring the 15 home with cabinet and chair, and realize she's exactly one month younger than DH, so I say "You should name her"... Miss Shilah (??) was born 12/20/1946. She was pretty clean but when I spread the GoJo, a yellow brown came up. I guess she hung out with a smoking crowd. She needs to be rewired which DH can do and she's missing a bobbin thingy, bobbins and a needle. I someone can help me with purchasing these things, I'd appreciate it.

Annie
Annie you will love the 15-90. The Model 15's and the 201's are both great machines. You can find the class 15 bobbins anywhere - Walmart even carries them. The 15 uses regular Schmetz needles too. If by the "bobbin thingy" you mean the bobbin case, Billy can probably sell you one of those too!

Nancy

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by JaKnits
Tommorrow I intend to read all the threads on cleaning and restoring these old beauties, since I am a complete newbie at this and know absolutely nothing about these vintage machines.
Your "new" treadle machine is a beauty!! Now that you have your first vintage machine I think it's only fair to tell you that you will soon have many more. You won't be able to help yourself once you have caught the virus.

The book is now $10. It is worth every penny. Kathie

Check out The Treadle Lady's site: http://treadlelady.com/.
She has lots of information (I recommend the little booklet that she sells. For $8.00, it's worth every penny) about these old gals. She also has some very informative videos on her You Tube channel.

Originally Posted by KatFish
What the best thing to put on my wood pitman. We have wood heat and I wondered about the wood drying out. What do you all use on yours?
Liquid Gold is what most of us use on the treadles and even to shine the machines!

Nancy
Old 03-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I am so excited, I picked up my new treadle today and it appears to be in really good shape. I need to get a belt for it, and find out how to oil it. The cabinet is in great shape in spite of having been painted.

The manual is crumbling, but says it was made in 1904 and is model # 939115, the machine says Standart. Does anyone know who made this machine, what type of needles and bobbins it uses, and any other info.?

Tommorrow I intend to read all the threads on cleaning and restoring these old beauties, since I am a complete newbie at this and know absolutely nothing about these vintage machines.
Thanks in advance for any info. you can give me about my exciting new treasure!
That is a beautiful machine. The decals look great. Enjoy her. Kathie
Your new machine is Beautiful! Have you got a name picked out yet??
Old 03-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Your "new" treadle machine is a beauty!! Now that you have your first vintage machine I think it's only fair to tell you that you will soon have many more. You won't be able to help yourself once you have caught the virus.

Check out The Treadle Lady's site: http://treadlelady.com/.
She has lots of information (I recommend the little booklet that she sells. For $8.00, it's worth every penny) about these old gals. She also has some very informative videos on her You Tube channel.
I just received this booklet in the mail today. Boy does it have a lot of information in it. So glad I purchased it. :thumbup:
Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 PM

Should the old leather treadle belts be conditioned? I have vague recollections of Dad cleaning them with saddle soap when they started to get slick. I need to shorten the belt on my old Domestic, and thought while I had it off, if I needed to condition it, I'd take the opportunity. It isn't slick, and no evidence of dry rot, Just want to do right by the ole gal.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
My neightbor's daughter has a teacher that took what look to be a beautiful treadel sewing machine and gutted it to make a saw for cutting glass in class. I have asked her what he intends to do with the parts and if he does not want them I told her I would take them.
She did not know what brand of machine but her picture looks like it says Catonia. Kathie
Kathie, I have never hear of a Catonia! Boy, you sure have kept us hopping, trying to figure out all these different machines! Thank you for the compliments, but I am no different than anyone else on here! I am just like everyone else - I learn from the rest of you!
Nancy
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
Should the old leather treadle belts be conditioned? I have vague recollections of Dad cleaning them with saddle soap when they started to get slick. I need to shorten the belt on my old Domestic, and thought while I had it off, if I needed to condition it, I'd take the opportunity. It isn't slick, and no evidence of dry rot, Just want to do right by the ole gal.
I have found that when the belt gets hard and slick, it is just easier to get a new pliable belt. I guess, you could use a leather conditioner on the belt and see if that helps. I would be afraid of causing a drag or slipping? Anyone else tried conditioning a treadle belt?

Nancy
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KatFish
What the best thing to put on my wood pitman. We have wood heat and I wondered about the wood drying out. What do you all use on yours?
Sewing machine oil is what I put on mine.

Billy
Old 03-03-2011, 07:13 PM

Ok you guys, I have all my machines working great now - even my Wilcox and Gibbs, but I was still having problems with my New Home T No 3 machine. It has a wierd wire that runs down the face of the machine. I couldn't figure out how to thread the thing. Well, I finally figured the threading, but still couldn't get it to pick up the shuttle thread. I had ordered what were suppose to be New Home needles, Boye # 4's and still no luck.

Tonight I got a magnifying glass and looked to see what needles I had. They were Schmetz! They came in the tube marked Boye 4, but were Schmetz needles! Just goes to show us that we better be careful what we are buying off of E-bay! I found one needle marked New Home - a longer than Schmetz needle - and now my T No 3 is sewing.

Miz Johnny, did you know that this T No 3 machine takes a longer than normal needle? I thought it took the short one like the Light Running New Home takes? Do you know what size needle I will need to get for the T No 3? I just lucked out and this needle works, but it is long!

Nancy