Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-03-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Machine count currently stands at approximately 15.

Kathie
I'm not telling how many I have, but it is Okiepastor's fault. Half of them are hers, lol.
Tommie
Ohhh, is it ok to blame someone else?

OK, I have seww many because its Deara's fault! She enables me... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...and we live clear across the states from each other. Imagine if we lived in the same city? :shock: :shock:
Works for me. :roll:
Old 06-03-2011, 10:47 AM

[quote=SewExtreme]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Now I have to go back and reread page 1125 to learn about the my pages. Lots of great info there, but I'll need to have it up in order to actually use the my pages thing.

To whomever that posted the link to the singer attachment directions, thank you.

Do you need to bookmark my bookmarks?! ;)
Check my "my pages" pages for your info on attachments. I hope it is there. If not, check a manual.

Here is the link for attachments: http://www.thesewbox.com/free_sewing...tructions.html
My Pages (Sometimes called User's Pages) vs. Bookmarking a topic. Recently it was posted on the board that after the first 100 pages, your bookmarked topics begin to be dropped, as that is the maximum (100). My Pages doesn't work that way. Amma's explanation is pretty clear on how to use them.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-76366-1.htm
I've only bookmarked 20 or so topics. When I come across a link, like the attachment one above, I bookmark it through my regular pc.

I will work on the my pages thing once I have a chance to read and understand it more at home. At work now...casually perusing the internet ;)
Old 06-03-2011, 10:48 AM

Anyone know much about 31-15 singer I picked it up today.runs great,have to get manual for this one also.This is an addiction getting these old machines.Ha AG489603 came with taable that holds motor,machine,thread holder,wide foot pedal and on/off switch
Old 06-03-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Sizi, I hear a sewing machine calling Suzi, Suzi, come and get me I am yours. Come take me home. Suzi, please come I want to go home with you. LOl Kathie
I went, I saw, I made an offer (and I honestly don't know why) and I left. Yes, I do know why I made the offer - it was because it broke my heart that this ancient machine/cabinet was in the condition she was. My husband said "go ahead and buy it if you want but THIS one I will not work on" --- it was pitiful. The woman had a document stating the purchase date was 1877 and I believed it. Someone just didn't give a tinkers damn about caring for this old girl. She wasn't totally frozen but sure did have a hitch in her gitalong. What caused me to walk away other than the woman refusing my offer was the base of the machine: the paint was 3/4 flaked off and any restoration attempt would totally remove her decals She was all rusty (much more on the bottom), but her little decals were still showing through. The cabinet was pretty much askew and it WAS ancient. Anyway - the seller has my name and number and I asked her to call me Sunday night after her sale was over if she wanted a home for it, 'cause she said any leftovers were going to GoodWill. How I wish I would have had my camera with me but the seller hovered over me the entire time and I couldn't have gotton a picture anyway. What really worked well was the little button on the cabinet that when pushed caused the machine to pop right up. Ah well - will wait for another sale.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:24 PM

I have enjoyed reading all the posts and learning from everyone but have felt guilty because I haven't had anything to contribute. Now I think I do! I have been reading arachnesobbsession's website and found some helpful information, She is conducting The White Sewing Machine Research Project and has posted White Badge Names. Scrolling through it I learned my Domestic Rotary 151, White Rotary and Dressmaker are all made by White. One phone call and I was able to verify the year each was made and either was sent a copy of the manual or told where to look for one (for free). So my beautiful turquoise Dressmaker isn't a Japanese clone after all!
The list does name a Challenge and Commander so they may not be clones. Hope this helps answer a few questions about "so who made my machine?"

Jan
Old 06-03-2011, 12:48 PM

[quote=SewExtreme]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Now I have to go back and reread page 1125 to learn about the my pages. Lots of great info there, but I'll need to have it up in order to actually use the my pages thing.

To whomever that posted the link to the singer attachment directions, thank you.

Do you need to bookmark my bookmarks?! ;)
Check my "my pages" pages for your info on attachments. I hope it is there. If not, check a manual.

Here is the link for attachments: http://www.thesewbox.com/free_sewing...tructions.html
My Pages (Sometimes called User's Pages) vs. Bookmarking a topic. Recently it was posted on the board that after the first 100 pages, your bookmarked topics begin to be dropped, as that is the maximum (100). My Pages doesn't work that way. Amma's explanation is pretty clear on how to use them.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-76366-1.htm
I sometimes use the term bookmark incorrectly. My teenage son is always correcting me on the proper usage. So when I said bookmarked, I was stating to copy onto the "my pages or my user page" (whatever it is called for the day since its name keeps changing). Sorry!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by jpete523
I have enjoyed reading all the posts and learning from everyone but have felt guilty because I haven't had anything to contribute. Now I think I do! I have been reading arachnesobbsession's website and found some helpful information, She is conducting The White Sewing Machine Research Project and has posted White Badge Names. Scrolling through it I learned my Domestic Rotary 151, White Rotary and Dressmaker are all made by White. One phone call and I was able to verify the year each was made and either was sent a copy of the manual or told where to look for one (for free). So my beautiful turquoise Dressmaker isn't a Japanese clone after all!
The list does name a Challenge and Commander so they may not be clones. Hope this helps answer a few questions about "so who made my machine?"

Jan
Jan -

Please point me towards arachnesobsession's website (sounds like she is a spider fan .... ;o). This is quite interesting because even though these machines were sold through Sears and made in Japan nobody ever stated what the parent company would be - it was assumed it was Singer because they sure do look like a Singer. Thank you for your research ...........
Old 06-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Suzi,
Arachnesobsession's information can be found at www.community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession on her homepage Webshots. Choose her albums, page 1, scroll about halfway down and look in the right column for "White SMC Badge Names". It's 2 pages of alphabetized names so it's easy to search the name you want. I was amazed at the names I recognized. If all else fails, you can Google her name and get there. Oh, and you're welcome.
Jan
Old 06-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Suzi,
Arachnesobsession's information can be found at www.community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession on her homepage Webshots. Choose her albums, page 1, scroll about halfway down and look in the right column for "White SMC Badge Names". It's 2 pages of alphabetized names so it's easy to search the name you want. I was amazed at the names I recognized. If all else fails, you can Google her name and get there. Oh, and you're welcome.
Jan
Amazing ----- and I just found this quote on another blog about the Sears' machines: "For 20 years, from 1938 to 1958, the White Sewing Machine Company produced every Kenmore sewing machine. Since then, Sears has contracted with different manufacturers to make its sewing machines, mostly for economic reasons." HA! How 'bout that ..... learn something new every day!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:57 PM

Jan
Hurray!!! I have a Dressmaker, too!! Didn't know who made it! I have cams and all that stuff! Can you direct me to this information?? Sorry, I didn't get to the place where it tells me where to find it!