Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 PM

Try putting a wide rubber band on the wheel then a piece of elastic for a belt, till you get one. Or a piece of ¼” tubing or an old “rubber” electric cord.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
Try putting a wide rubber band on the wheel then a piece of elastic for a belt, till you get one. Or a piece of ¼” tubing or an old “rubber” electric cord.
pantyhose?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM

It is beautiful, Charlee. Love the blue. There is a white morse, with blue writing on it, sitting on the porch of an abandoned house on my paper route. I want to save it so bad, but have never seen anyone there. When I do, I am going to give it heck.

I would try pantyhose for a belt. One of my best friends would come in after a wild weekend, and say, "Pantyhose makes good knots." I never asked for details, but try it on a sewing machine anyway.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
it is beautiful, charlee. Love the blue. There is a white morse, with blue writing on it, sitting on the porch of an abandoned house on my paper route. I want to save it so bad, but have never seen anyone there. When i do, i am going to give it heck.

I would try pantyhose for a belt. One of my best friends would come in after a wild weekend, and say, "pantyhose makes good knots." i never asked for details, but try it on a sewing machine anyway.
rotflmao!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I feel like I just scored BIG TIME!!

My big expenditure of the day? $17 for a Morse 15 clone. Pretty blue machine...but it's got a broken belt, so I can't *really* test it, but turning by hand it turns easily and makes a nice stitch, and plugging it in, the motor turns...I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best! That was at Goodwill.

At St. Vinny's (St. Vincent DePaul), for a whopping $1.75, I brought home a throw size quilt top, sampler style and adorable...and an about 24" Christmas tree wall hanging that needs quilted too. Oh! And a vest pattern.

So....I'm a happy camper right now.
My two favorite shopping stops!!! Good find!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
I treadle with my feet together. After picking up the treadle with the "feet" as the treadle pedal, I learned to treadle with feet together. If the treadle treadles smoothly then there is very little work done to tire one out. I would always get a workout on the Singer 328k in treadle since it was poorly designed to be treadled.
Monica, I treadle with one foot on and one toe on - but, I always get a work out if I treadle for very long! I haven't tried the two feet position - I will give it a go! Even with my 15-88, I can 'feel' it after an hour or so of straight treadling - my legs get tired. With the 319w I get a real work out, especially when I am doing decorative stitches or sewing a long row seam - going over several small piecing seams. I can always tell when my pedal needs a little oiling! I treadle so much that I don't think about it until I am about done or after I have wound a couple bobbins - then I really feel tired! I really have an appreciation of those gals that can just treadle all day and not 'seem' to get tired.

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 07-11-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
Nancy there was no tear away when I made these. I drew the pattern on tissue paper
Then stitched an outline. It is on velour rowels [well worn]. It is a build up of thread lot of alone. Some older artist would put cording down and cover it with thread.
Phyllis, you did an amazing job. I have never tried to embroider without stabilizer especially on something like towels! When I have embroidered with less than enough stabilizer my machine bunches up the fabric or the stitches get buried. It just shows you how much 'better' those vintage machines were to the modern embroidery machines of today. What machine did you use to do the embroidery? Or did you tell us already? I don't think my modern embroidering machine could keep going over the layers without getting stuck or breaking needles.

I will be able to do what you did with my Pfaff 260 because I can widen or shorten the satin stitch while he is running! That will be fun to try - monogramming some towels free hand!

Candace as far as stitching without fabric underneath the foot - yowwww! I'd be afraid to try that! I realize after she got the first stiches she was just stitching over them, but the first row would scare me, although it did look like she stitched that first row after cutting out the fabric! I'd love to see someone do that lace in person!

Nancy
Old 07-11-2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
I have had an exciting day of playing with sewing machines. I joined the old pfaff group at yahoo and got a copy of the stitch wheel, and finally did some embroidery stitches with my Pfaff 230. What an amazing machine. I had only fiddled with it enough to figure out how to straight stitch and zig zag with it, and do the fmq. It is hard to believe that a machine older than me can do all those stitches, and have so many options about spacing and width and such. I am going to make myself a top, and put several rows of stitching around the neck and hem lines in the matching thread to add some texture. In my mind it will be pretty. In real life, we will see.

I also downloaded the book to the Lady Kenmore 89 and learned how to use it better. I read that it is a Pfaff in disguise, and it is smooth as silk. The embroidery stitches built into it are pretty too. Not as many, but easier to do. Very nice machine.
Melinda, I'd love to see some of the embroidery stitches you did with your Pfaff! Also, I have heard Candace talk about the Lady Kenmore being a Pfaff in disguise, but I really don't understand why? Who made the Lady Kenmore - if it was Pfaff, I didn't know they ever badged a machine?

Nancy
Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348074[/ATTACH]Moving this over from another thread...advice from there "Get an old but clean mascara brush and check first for clogged up stuff - lint, broken needles, dried up grease and oil, etc. Get some Triflow oil - put one drop on anything that remotely moves. Jiggle it as you oil. Muv has a great video on the sticky: HOW TO CLEAN UP and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav Her tutorial should be enough to get that machine serviced. That machine's exterior looks to be in good shape, you do not need Glenn's tutorial. Your machine looks like it runs on a treadle. Some of those machine's also have a little wheel to drive the balance wheel. Sometimes those get a flat spot or die. It looks like it needs a bobbin winder tire. This can further be discussed here: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell which is also on the sticky. "

It does run on treadle. The treadle moves VERY smoothly. When I disengage the hand wheel, it moves very smoothly, but engaged, it won't budge. I've been looking for the reason and I'm thinking that one of the gears won't move. Needle is stuck in the down position and bobbin case won't move either. I've oiled everything, let it sit over night. Still stuck. Still looking.
Quiltingweb, I know you have gotten several answers to this, the tri-flow, heat, all the oiling, but have you really taken the time with a flashlight turning the machine every which way with the slide plate and needle plate removed to make sure there is no thread, hair, lint caught in the hook/race/bobbin area? Also, oil the needle bar really well and keep trying to wiggle it - after you are positive there is nothing caught in the bobbin race area! Cathy on here told me that the machine sticking at times usually meanes the needle bar has lint around it or needs oiling.

Nancy
Old 07-11-2012, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Here you go Melinda...amid the clutter of my cutting table... This one says, "Precision Built Model 2600, Made in India"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348136[/ATTACH]

And the two quilt tops, the little one is already sandwiched:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348137[/ATTACH]

And this one needs top and bottom borders...I think I have some of this fabric!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348138[/ATTACH]
Charlee you seem to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time! Love your Morse - it looks very similar to mine! I also love the quilt tops! Please post them again after you quilt them! Those will be fun to FM quilt and just think you could do them on the Morse you picked up the same day! Kinda neat to think about that!

Nancy