Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Miz Johnny;
My family would be kind to call me eccentric. They do think I'm bonkers b/c I haven't yet bought the correct vintage machine. I too will know it when I bring it home. :) DH may not be supportive of my goal however. :( Thank you for all your information regarding my machine and my many questions.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I just sold my parlor treadle like this one. I have had about 4 (I think) Singer parlor treadles, but haven't bought the RIGHT one yet. I'll know it when I get it home!!
I'm nosey ... do you mind saying what you're looking for that you didn't find in the other treadles?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
I just sold my parlor treadle like this one. I have had about 4 (I think) Singer parlor treadles, but haven't bought the RIGHT one yet. I'll know it when I get it home!!
I'm nosey ... do you mind saying what you're looking for that you didn't find in the other treadles?
I think she's looking for one that sings to her :) Sorry, couldn't resist the terrible pun.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

Oh goodness what a busy shop this has turned into!! I have been doing the holiday things and have not had a chance to check in and it is just packed with folks and machines!!

I will get the price on the bobbin tire and belt for you and I will PM you with the information.

So How was everyones Christmas? Did you guys get many sewing machines or goodies that go with them? I told Santa to check in and see what the list were and to take care of you guys. ;) I have one more week of Holiday and its back to the "Ye Old Sewing Machine Shope"!! I have several projects going on and I will post them as I get to them. This year I am going to try and to show my work in either this thread or another one. With the volume of machine I am working on it should be really neat to see. Especially when it comes to the custom repaints that I have lined up. :D

Billy
Old 12-27-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Kind of a long meandering story, but:
I would like to have Drawing Room Cabinet #22, with it's decoration intact. I had a #22, in fair condition, but missing one door. Then I found a modern variation of #21, in walnut, but missing the wheel and treadle. My plan was to put them together, but I never got around to it, so sold them both to another collector who gets far more done than I do!! Then I bought another plain modern one (by modern I mean no elevator; the top flips up and machine comes up like most "modern" cabinets), in nearly perfect condition, which I still have. Then I bought the #21 in oak. It's a nice enough cabinet (the top was ruined by a plant at some point--very common on these things, and the fly wheel rubs slightly), but one day I realized it's not the one I want, and if I happen to find it, I won't have room for it--so I sold it as well. (I have been selling a few machines lately, as I finally realized I don't have enough room for my family. :mrgreen:
So, I'm looking for #22, in decent condition, for a decent price. Good luck to me!!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

. . .Did you guys get many sewing machines or goodies that go with them? . . .! I have several projects going on and I will post them as I get to them. This year I am going to try and to show my work in either this thread or another one. With the volume of machine I am working on it should be really neat to see. Especially when it comes to the custom repaints that I have lined up. :D

Billy
No new machines for me; I am hoping for new space this year. It won't be a different house, I've given up on that (would have to get my husband out of here with a tow truck) but hope to free up some space to spread out my "stuff".
I'm looking forward to seeing your repaints. I love the way they look, and I love that you're adding new life to old machines!!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 PM

So How was everyones Christmas? Did you guys get many sewing machines or goodies that go with them? Billy
I had a nice Christmas with lots of sewing goodies plus I found a RedEye sewing mchine for a treadle minus the treadle cabinet. It's dirty but I need time and energy to get around to cleaning it. Plus, DH doesn't know it found a home in my sewing room. :)
Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S
I have no idea as I am computer challanged.
I know I'll keep it but unfortunately my daughter has no interest in sewing. I hope it will be appreciated by someone when I'm gone!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:54 AM

This year I am going to try and to show my work in either this thread or another one. With the volume of machine I am working on it should be really neat to see. Especially when it comes to the custom repaints that I have lined up. :D

Billy
Billy, I am excited to see all your projects posted here!

Well, you guys remember my Davis Vertical Feed pre 1900 machine - I think it is around 1989 -- I ordered and paid for two books off the internet and have received neither. I ordered the first book over a month ago, thought maybe I didn't order it, ordered it again! I went back and checked Paypal and yes I ordered the same book twice from the same shop. I think I got rooked, I have sent a few e-mails and can't get a response. Anyway, I still don't have the right book for my machine. I did print one from ISMACS, but it is for the Davis High Arm Vertical Feed, which is slightly different from my Davis.
I managed to get a few Boye #10 needles to try. I still don't have the Davis working! It will move freely and feed the fabric, but will not sew.

I think my Davis is a really neat machine because of the fact that it does not have feed dogs, but not much good to me if I can't get it to sew!

Quiltaddict to you still want this machine?

Nancy
Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Howard
Nancy, guess who is working on the foot pedal ...DH showed me a wire not attached to anything. He is working on it now..............He just came in and told me to try it out, guess what, it still races. This machine is now up for grabs for anyone who wants it !Anyone local who might be interested please PM me. Thanks all
Take the motor off and put on a hand crank. You'll love it for piecing.
Thanks to all of you who helped me with my Singer 27. I have finally done it. I put her on Craigs list. Have been hanging on to her for too long now with no feasible solution so why deprive someone else who could enjoy her. I don't need to tell you what a very very difficult decision it was. It's not like I don't have other machines, I have 6 ! One New Year resolutions is to learn how to let go of things. This was a first step. Can 't really afford to sink money into them and honestly don't have room for them eiither.