Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Probably new Work Stand template needed and info Please >

Probably new Work Stand template needed and info Please

Probably new Work Stand template needed and info Please

Old 11-15-2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by SewMachines View Post
To remove the shuttle I turn the wheel until the shuttle is in the most forward position. It is almost under the needleplate. I can put my fingernail in the slot near the back and lift it out allowing the pointed nose to dip forward while lifting. The bobbin is held in the shuttle by a spring loaded circle at the nose (pointed) end. Mine was gunky and frozen when I got it. Oiling and gently pushing down on the circle pad with a toothpick finally released the bobbin.

I can't wait to see your beauty as it comes along. It always makes me happy to see these lovely oldies brought back to life!

Suzanne
Thank you, I just couldn't get the shuttle out that way. I will try again after I get it cleaned up some more. I wish I could find some more info on Weed machines. I did find one picture of some attachments but they look like the hemmers/binders are attached to the bed. I couldn't tell what one of the attachments was as it was in the back. I think it may have been a tucker that could be attached in place of the standard presser foot.

I'm excited to bring it back to life, too.

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
16 ga for most ,14 ga for older ones has been successful for me.
Thanks, I will see if I can find some scraps in 14 or 16 gauge the right size. I'm guessing that there is a little ledge or lip on top and exact size. I understand why a lot of sliding plates are missing. A nice thing about the Pfaff K and that era of Pfaff long shuttles is that they have a little screw on the back side of the plates to keep them from coming all the way off.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Great looking machine! Beautiful MOP. The Linseed Oil and vinegar is for cleaning the wood only. Keep it away from your machine please. IIRC Steve has experimented with it and likes the results.
Rodney
Yes Steve had good results on the wood and he actually accidently got some on Florence. Turns out that it brought out some decals he didn't know were there. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post6829095

I thought I would see what I could do today before it gets put in the work stand. I've been able to remove the screw for the presser foot, but not been able to remove the foot, yet. I put some Tri-Flow on it. I was also able to get the bobbin winder off. It seems like there was some "play" when it was screwed on so I may try to find either a thin nylon washer or maybe make a small felt washer to put between the bed and the bobbin winder.

Don't shoot me. I thought under the bobbin winder was a nice inconspicuous place to try some TR3 - I don't think I will use it on the mother of pearl, but I sure like the results I got on the decals under the bobbin winder. Before I started -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535746[/ATTACH]

This is just starting to use TR3 -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535745[/ATTACH]

And after several cotton balls of TR3

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535747[/ATTACH]

I also did a little at the base of the pillar behind the BW - and discovered this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535748[/ATTACH]

well.... as long as I had the TR3 out I thought I would try it on the arm that goes across to the needle bar.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535749[/ATTACH]

I still have a long way to go to get it cleaned up. I'm pleased with it so far.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails b4-start-underbwbetter-light.jpg   b4-underbw.jpg   after-underbw-w-tr3.jpg   discovered-behind-bw.jpg   needle-bar-arm-during-tr3.jpg  

Old 11-16-2015, 07:48 AM

Default Weed FF model 3 update

John has the board done for it. We need larger clamps than the other machines take. I'll let him explain why, which he will post in the Work Stand thread ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...264914-10.html ). We have them just not on yet.

I still can't remove or replace the shuttle from the front side of the needle. This shuttle has a rounded back side but hits the needle plate and won't come out. I messed with the shuttle and found that there is some magnetism in the shuttle. It has an odd shaped screw at the 'pointy' end. It was removed easily. I took a picture yesterday but it isn't very good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535819[/ATTACH]

The head of the screw has a notch so that when rotated to line up with the bobbin you can remove the bobbin.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535820[/ATTACH]

I was able to rotate the presser foot just a little bit when I tried earlier this morning. I oiled some more. Got it to rotate a little more after about an hour. Just was able to rotate all the way. I had to rotate it so the foot part was in the shuttle area to be able to remove it. Now to clean it up.

I found that there actually is a washer under the bobbin winder. I tried to put the screw in without the bobbin winder and it came off. Evidently it was varnished on with dried up oil -- more cleaning.

I think I may have figured out the thread path and how to adjust the upper tension. Kind of interesting that the last place before threading the needle is not a thread guide (like is common on more modern machines). It actually goes through the needle bar itself. NO, I don't have a picture of it, yet. The broken needle is still on the machine. I haven't been able to just hand unscrew the clamp. I will oil some more and try again later, maybe with a little more effort.

Attached Thumbnails shuttle-screw-bobbin-release.jpg   shuttle-bobbin-stahl.jpg  
Old 11-16-2015, 09:22 AM

It's so fun to follow your progress with this machine!
Please keep us all updated!
Ila
Old 11-16-2015, 12:36 PM

Janey,

What interesting differences in the machine. Here is my shuttle, very different from yours. Keep us posted!

Suzanne

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535834[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_9232.jpg  
Old 11-17-2015, 08:15 AM

Default Progress report 11/17/15 morning

Suzanne - you did a great job on the feed dogs - I hope mine even come close to looking that good when I get to them.

I did some polishing last night - Presser foot before cleaning
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535905[/ATTACH]

After cleaning I think it looks better than this picture shows - it is sitting on the seam guide screw -
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535906[/ATTACH]

Seam Guide & Screw before polishing -
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535907[/ATTACH]

Seam Guide & Screw after -
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535908[/ATTACH]

I was able to get the bobbin winder spring end to move and cleaned up some more. I found some CTA Spark Plug Wire Boot Pliers at a thrift store (the current 3052 pliers are different from this tool). I used this tool to turn the end a bit and then was able to move in and out. This is a side view of it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535909[/ATTACH]
I also used it to try the needle clamp screw. I was able to get it started with the tool and then the rest of the way out with just my fingers. I put some oil in the hole and screwed it back in. I'll probably have to use needle nose pliers to get the broken needle out but I'll let it "stew" today in the oil that I was able to get into the needle clamp screw hole.

I tried to use it on pressure bar but haven't been able to get it to budge.

We have both 14 & 16 gauge metal at the shop. I asked about the hole punch and was told that it probably wouldn't work for the 14 gauge but probably would for the 16.

Better get to my paying job.

Attached Thumbnails b4-presserfoot229.jpg   aft-presserfoot263.jpg   b4seamguide-n-screw240.jpg   aft-seamguide280.jpg   ctaside278.jpg  

Old 11-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Banned

another trick for screws is to wrap steel wool (OOOO version) around the threads, pinch with your fingers and then use a screw driver to turn the screw a few turns. A drop of oil helps as well. I also twist the steel wool up and "screw it" into the hole and back out (make sure all is removed) Again, a drop of oil helps
Old 11-20-2015, 07:57 AM

Default 11-20-15 Progress report

Thanks Steve for the reminder on how to clean screws. I had forgotten that was how I cleaned the small screws on my sister's machine. On larger screws that I can hold onto the head I will sometimes put brasso or oil on crochet thread or use heavier dental floss then wrap around a thread of the screw and spiral back and forth along the length of the screw. I will have to try your method for the holes that the screws go in. I also have some small brushes for cleaning airbrushes, but those don't work on some things.

I'm not sure of the "proper" terms from some of the parts of this machine so -- please excuse and/or inform of proper names.

The cam and what I call a roller are really bad. I have gotten a little of the gunk off, but still not rolling.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536123[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536124[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536125[/ATTACH]

I haven't done a whole lot but have done some as shown on work stand thread. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post7381459 I cleaned some on the underside with alcohol swabs that I got about 9 years ago. I think that the swabs may have dried a bit from when they were new since when squeezed they don't drip.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536126[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536127[/ATTACH]

I still haven't gotten the broken needle out -- I keep trying. I put a swab put on it and then a mini ziplock bag over it. I put a clothes pin over it to hold in place. When I took it off the swab had moved. I did get a little bit of the dried oil off that area.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536128[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536129[/ATTACH]

I got the pressure regulating screw to move a little with a piece of rubber around it and vice grips. Just twisted back and forth a bit. I tried by hand after I got it to move but couldn't do it by hand, so more oil. I didn't take a picture.

I think I have at least figured out how to adjust the stitch length, but it will need a lot of cleaning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536132[/ATTACH]

I brought a thin piece (24? gauge) of metal home the width of the sliding plates. I think I got the right width. The ledges on the sides are really narrow - it will be interesting to get something that will work. I have some other work that needs to be done before I'm ready for the plates. I'm still kind of brainstorming about them.

Attached Thumbnails roller302.jpg   roller316.jpg   cleaningroller323.jpg   alcholswabs363.jpg   undersidesomeclean307.jpg  

p1130353experiment.jpg   p1130354flipped.jpg   maybestitchlength309.jpg   st-length-side-maybe336.jpg  

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-20-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Banned

That is a cording foot BTW

Allow me to suggest 0000 Steel Wool and Brasso for the metal bits.

The main spur gears and drive shafts before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536138[/ATTACH]

and after (sorry about the goofy background)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536139[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20151107_112042.jpg   20151119_185605.jpg  

Last edited by SteveH; 11-20-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
That is a cording foot BTW

Allow me to suggest 0000 Steel Wool and Brasso for the metal bits.
I'm wondering if it is a dual purpose foot as yours', SewMachines' and this one came with that foot but no other feet (unless you guys are holding out on me ;-)). I did see one that had a hemmer and another that had some other feet but I couldn't determine which ones.

I did try Brasso & 0000 steel wool on the cam on the machine and found it more messy than using alcohol swabs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536295[/ATTACH]

I'm guessing that this is supposed to roll inside the track?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536296[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536299[/ATTACH]

I'm not very brave when it comes to taking some things apart. Many of the screws I can't even turn, to take apart the things I'm comfortable enough to remove. It looks like it may take some doing to get the feed dogs out. They do need some work. Its hard to take a picture of the feed dogs straight on. I've gotten some bits out of the back, but I think there is more in there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536297[/ATTACH]

This is where to release the feed dogs, I think. Probably need to take needle plate off, too. I have tried a few times but will allow to "stew" some more. I'm trying to be careful and not use too much force.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536300[/ATTACH]

I was able to move the pressure regulating screw by hand this morning. I just twisted back and forth a bit. I also got the stitch length screw to move a bit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536298[/ATTACH]

Still haven't gotten the needle out. I keep oiling. I got most of the stuff off the bottom of the bar. I don't have a picture of it. That is something else that is hard to get a picture of.

Attached Thumbnails cam367.jpg   roller369.jpg   feeddog-390.jpg   stitch-length372.jpg   roller373.jpg  

feeddog-arrow370.jpg  
Old 11-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Banned

you patient approach is the best. you're doing great. Remember it took decades for them to get stuck, week or even months to un-stick is not unreasonable.