Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
Hey, all-thought I'd drop by for a cup and a chat, if you don't mind. It's nice to have found someone that isn't me or my osmg that's got a kink for old machines. :-)

I have a White (Betty the Backup) that I bought new in 2003 or so, but the older she gets, the finickier she is about bobbins. The moon has to be in the right house, you have to hold your tongue just so, and sometimes, she requires a blood sacrifice. (I swear, I haven't poked myself on all of my other machines needles collectively as much as I have on hers by herself!)

So I started looking around for a replacement, and ran into Noriko at the local Salvation Army. Noriko is a Riccar, built in Japan in the mid-60's. I like Noriko, and we've had a good couple of years together, but I've been holding out for what I really wanted-a Singer 237.

Which I finally found, also at the SA. Her previous owner smoked like a chimney but otherwise took good care of her, so after a good bath, I hauled her off to my osmg to have her noisy motor switched out for a 1 amp motor, which I like much better. She's currently in a hacked 70's Futura cabinet-the machine was garbage but I liked the drawer space, so... She also doesn't have a name yet-any suggestions?

Also from the SA (that place is a goldmine for old sewing machines, definitely!) is a nice little Singer Spartan I found. According to Singer, Fenella was made in 1949. She was frozen when I got her, but a healthy slopping of oil and some patience has got her working again. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of her yet.

My most recent acquisition is a New Willard treadle in a pretty little parlor cabinet from the mid-20's or so. Mrs Willard came from an antique shop, and was still threaded and sewing. The story I got is that she'd been in regular use by the daughter of her original owner until just recently. She's actually the one I have the most trouble with; she sews beautifully, but I forget to keep my feet going, and can't treadle with both feet anyway. That and stopping without letting the treadle rock. I'm working on it. :)

Anyway, thanks for letting me natter. I'm slowly reading my way through the read, but I keep getting hung up on admiring everybody else's pretty machines!
I haven't read far enough to see other name suggestions, I'm still catching up!

Since the SA is such a good place for you to find your treasures, what about Salvation? I think it's a cute name.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
awww, Linda, that's so funny! (and sweet) my heart was taken with the redeyes about 20 years ago,

now I am on the hunt for a hopping foot for my 15 clone... looked thru all my feet, and none are right. I still would love to have that Pfaff!
The Redeyes decals are very pretty and you will love your 66 for sewing!

When I was looking for a darning foot for my 15, I just used my Janome darning foot that I had and it worked. I think Kenmore attachment parts are similar and cheaper than Janome. And Sew Classic sells darning feet too!

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Singer-1...-15-88_c27.htm
Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 AM

[quote=SewExtreme][quote=vintagemotif][quote=vintagemotif][quote=SewExtreme]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
If I understood your question correctly, I know what you mean. Did you see this topic on 'my pages' when I posted it? You might find it more helpful than 'bookmarking' googled info.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-81136-1.htm

You are welcome. I have learned to use 'my pages' a lot more since that topic. Did you click on my Profile and see the pages I have categorized? If you have any questions I would be glad to help you out on this. I have found it to me most helpful. After 'bookmarking' quite a few topics and then trying to locate them, it just began to feel like one of my junk drawers.... you might find something you want in there if you swish thingies back and forth long enough. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is fantastic! Again-Thanks for posting this information.
I copied a couple of your titles and added some of mine. I had only seen bookmarks, but never used that. This is much more helpful!
Sewww glad I was able to help you. Great job on your 'my pages'. That is a way we can also learn from others by looking at their 'my pages'. Things have caught your eye, that also interested me but I hadn't recorded them. I only looked at one of your topics, so far. :-D

Now, it is my turn to THANK YOU. I just got done cleaning and labeling all the attachments that came with my newly acquired Singer 301A. I have two Ruffler attachments that I had no idea how to use. And, right in your 'my pages' on the Sew Machine page is the very site I need...

Free Attachment / Feet Instructions

http://www.thesewbox.com/free_sewing...tructions.html

Perfect! You have made my day! I have a dress I want to make for my 3 year old GD pictured in my avatar. Yippee! :-D :-D
Glad to be of help! You helped me; I was able to organized bookmarks that I had forgotten what was there. The attachments was just one of many bookmarks.

Have fun with your projects!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:28 AM

Fabric Whisperer, some questions about your new machine.

I have 3 sons and 2 of them are interested in quilting. I'm so glad I'm not the only mom out there that are trying to get the boys bit by the quilting bug!

I was looking at the pictures you posted of your new machines. I think Godzilla is a great name for your son's machine. Looking at the pictures of the attachments, I had some questions.

I don't know much about VSM and I have learned all I do know, which isn't much, here at the shop. What is that long silver thing that looks like a bullet? Also, those things that look like long screws, are those the spindles you were talking about? All I know about spindles is that Sleeping Beauty was pricked by one. What are they for?
Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

mpeters1200 ~ the long bullet thing holds those weird tall spools. The thread gets wound on the long skinny spool, then that goes inside the bullet looking thing. That is the "bobbin" for my Model 27 Singer. Those bobbins are hard to find at reasonable prices, so when I saw them in that box at the sale, I grabbed it for the shuttle! :)

My son actually designed his first quilt when he was 7, it took us a year to make, because he did the majority of the work. Picked out fabrics, designed it, helped piece it, and arranged it for final layout then pieced. He helped baste it on the hand-quilting rack, he would come home and ask "Mom, I don't have any homework, can I baste?" He was in 2nd grade. Here is him working on his quilt :)

Now he is already asking to use my new 15 clone (the pretty black one I got Friday)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204294.jpe  
Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Any ideas on how to keep the thread cutter on the 301 from sliding down? It seems to fit very tightly, but it slips down with use. Obvious answer - don't use it, but I'm accustomed to using a thread cutter.
Try sanding the pressure foot bar with a little fine sandpaper--or an emery board to roughen it up enough, then wipe with alcohol in case there is oil residue making it slip. That should help.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:33 AM

I am not as familiar with the Pfaff models, I just know they are good machines... what is a normally fair market price for that one? I am not sure if she'll deal? With my AC compressor going kerplooey yesterday, I probably cannot afford her... sniffle... pout...
Its always something... I used to have my own play money
when I worked for Husqvarna Viking. I broke my right ankle last July and lost my job, after it was all healed Dh asked me not to go back to work as it put us into a higher tax bracket.
Now when I see a machine I want, I just have to walk away.(big sigh)
The local Pfaff dealer collects Pfaff treadles, wow talk about eye candy! I was perusing ebay Germany and saw quite a few more modern machines that were treadles. The shipping costs would be way out of my price range.
Sharon W.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by irishrose
Any ideas on how to keep the thread cutter on the 301 from sliding down? It seems to fit very tightly, but it slips down with use. Obvious answer - don't use it, but I'm accustomed to using a thread cutter.
Try sanding the pressure foot bar with a little fine sandpaper--or an emery board to roughen it up enough, then wipe with alcohol in case there is oil residue making it slip. That should help.
be careful not to let any of the alcohol drip on your paint, it will remove it very nicely.(the voice of experience) :cry:
Old 05-30-2011, 10:42 AM

mpeters1200 ~ the long bullet thing holds those weird tall spools. The thread gets wound on the long skinny spool, then that goes inside the bullet looking thing. That is the "bobbin" for my Model 27 Singer. Those bobbins are hard to find at reasonable prices, so when I saw them in that box at the sale, I grabbed it for the shuttle! :)

My son actually designed his first quilt when he was 7, it took us a year to make, because he did the majority of the work. Picked out fabrics, designed it, helped piece it, and arranged it for final layout then pieced. He helped baste it on the hand-quilting rack, he would come home and ask "Mom, I don't have any homework, can I baste?" He was in 2nd grade. Here is him working on his quilt :)

Now he is already asking to use my new 15 clone (the pretty black one I got Friday)
I love his quilt! Beautiful job!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:42 AM

I just came across this video today that I find extremely helpful to those that have treadles, and converting a Singer 319 to treadle. What I found wonderful about this video is that she demonstrates how a coil spring can be used as a treadle belt and the pluses to having a coil spring.
At 4:24 posting, showing how you can lift the machine up to get to the underside of machine, like for feet dog screw.
At 7:22 posting, showing the benefit of the coil spring when switching out machine heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q83SouHBOzk

Does anyone know where I can purchase a coil spring belt?
Help! I want one! I think this is so cool.