Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Beautiful White in gorgeous cabinet! Both machines are very NICE!
Thanks! I hope I can get them. I love the White especially.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Okay, I have a dumb question. I know,there is no such thing as a dumb question, but this may be an exception. I am new to this addiction and so far, I only have 4 vintage sewing machines, a FW, a Singer 115 treadle (head only), a Singer Red Eye 66-1 treadle, and a Singer 201 hand crank. I love all of them, but space is a problem. My DH's solution is to sell the 115, remove the 66 from its treadle cabinet and install the 201 hand crank in the treadle cabinet so I can use it as a treadle or a hand crank. Here is my question: If the hand crank is installed in the treadle cabinet, can it be used as either a hand crank or a treadle??? My DH says yes, but I just wouldn't be able to lower the machine into the cabinet, it would just have to stay up all the time. Help! Should I stop my DH's devious plan, or will it work?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 AM

beaniekins

The singer in the last photo looks just like the one I picked up this weekend at a flea market. If it is, it's a 127 built 1902-1904. That one's decals and finish are great shape compared to the one I got. I only got the head.

That must be the same cabinet mine was in, I got 2 of the drawer pulls exactly like those in a box of stuff.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Keep the 115 (much better machine), sell the 66! 115 is a rotary shuttle machine, and much better for piecing. The 66 was the bottom of the line Singer, and you can pick one up anywhere.

The 201 HC will fit in the treadle. If you need to drop the head, take the HC off and do so.

Two treadles and space is a problem? Send DH to me. I have at least 30. There are no "occasional" tables in my house, and you have to shuffle to get through some spaces, but hey--it keeps life interesting. My adult children sometimes complain, but then again, I had planned to use ALL these rooms for machines, so they can't complain too much.

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Okay, I have a dumb question. I know,there is no such thing as a dumb question, but this may be an exception. I am new to this addiction and so far, I only have 4 vintage sewing machines, a FW, a Singer 115 treadle (head only), a Singer Red Eye 66-1 treadle, and a Singer 201 hand crank. I love all of them, but space is a problem. My DH's solution is to sell the 115, remove the 66 from its treadle cabinet and install the 201 hand crank in the treadle cabinet so I can use it as a treadle or a hand crank. Here is my question: If the hand crank is installed in the treadle cabinet, can it be used as either a hand crank or a treadle??? My DH says yes, but I just wouldn't be able to lower the machine into the cabinet, it would just have to stay up all the time. Help! Should I stop my DH's devious plan, or will it work?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Honchey
Question??? Are handcrank parts all the same size for use on any qualified model? ie: 66, 15, etc. Anne
Well Anne, Miz Johnny can answer this question in detail, but yes and no! The new reproduction HC's work on the 66, 15, 99, 99k, 28, 128 if the machines have the spoked hand wheel, but if you want to put a HC on something other than a Singer you will have to find the original HC for that model. Most of the repro's won't work on say a New Home, etc.

Nancy
Nancy, I recently saw the reproduction hand cranks for sale on eBay, but listed as Made in China. I am not inclined to get one of those, but just for information sake, are they any good?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I'm glad you're OK, Billy. A snakebite? That's terrifying! And sorry that your daughter's house had to come down.

So, I found out that in addition to the 401(?) that this lady is selling, she also has an older Singer and an older White Rotary. They all look very dusty, but the decals appear to be in quite good condition. The cabinet for the 401 seems to be in the roughest shape of all of them. I can't go and get them until the 30th though. I hope I can wait that long and that she doesn't sell them to someone else in the meantime!
I am digging both machines and the 300, 400, 500 series were really great machines and I can not say enough about them!

Billy
Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Keep the 115 (much better machine), sell the 66! 115 is a rotary shuttle machine, and much better for piecing. The 66 was the bottom of the line Singer, and you can pick one up anywhere.

The 201 HC will fit in the treadle. If you need to drop the head, take the HC off and do so.

Two treadles and space is a problem? Send DH to me. I have at least 30. There are no "occasional" tables in my house, and you have to shuffle to get through some spaces, but hey--it keeps life interesting. My adult children sometimes complain, but then again, I had planned to use ALL these rooms for machines, so they can't complain too much.

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Miz Johnny, As soon as DH is home from work, I will ship him straight to you! Wow! 30 treadles!!! I think I like you! Can you explain to me the difference between a rotary shuttle and whatever the 66 has? I was thinking about selling the 115 because it has an irritating habit of the needle dropping back into the fabric after I stop sewing and get ready to take the material out. Can't figure out what is causing it or how to fix it. The 66 doesn't do it.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I've fallen behind on my reading of this thread so I don't know if anyone has shared this yet. I came across a blog about restoring a Singer 201. This person will be stripping the machine down and doing a complete restoration. I thought there may be some people on this board that would be interested in seeing how she is doing it. Here is the link:

http://mysewingmachineaddiction.blogspot.com/

I don't have a 201 to restore but I have a 66 that could use a makeover.
WOW-thank you Cathy for this sharing this blog...
Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I'm glad you're OK, Billy. A snakebite? That's terrifying! And sorry that your daughter's house had to come down.

So, I found out that in addition to the 401(?) that this lady is selling, she also has an older Singer and an older White Rotary. They all look very dusty, but the decals appear to be in quite good condition. The cabinet for the 401 seems to be in the roughest shape of all of them. I can't go and get them until the 30th though. I hope I can wait that long and that she doesn't sell them to someone else in the meantime!
Wow....very nice machines! Hope you get them!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 AM

"The 66 was the bottom of the line Singer, and you can pick one up anywhere" - quoting Miz Johnny. Oh, please don't tell me that ............ they are so beautiful and mine sews a gorgeous stitch. What makes them the bottom of the barrel?