Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-15-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by tomilu
Here is a great buy on a Rocketeer with cabinet.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/for/2439752144.html

Tommie
Wahoo, the machine is mine. My daughter is picking it up for me tomorrow. Thanks, Tommie
Wow, you will love that machine! It looks like the 503a, but I can't tell for sure in the picture - too far away! Please post pictures up close and let us know which one it is! Love the cabinet too!

Nancy
Old 06-15-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Hey Glenn--Here is my next machine with the wheel soaking in Evaporust. I can't get the wheel off, so I had to try to derust it this way. She is propped on her side with the wheel in pyrex pie pan. In the morning--no more rust.

Texas Jan

She is an old New Home Ruby. I got her and her treadle cabinet for $5.00. I call her my $5.00 folley. Really sad, but getting there. I also redo cabinets.
Texas Jan, I am really going to follow this restoration project! That cabinet doesn't look fixable to me - are you going to try and fix/restore it too? The worst cabinet/machine I bought was a Pheasant decal 27 from 1901. The before and after pictures are here on page 357. I am not sure I'd want to tackle that again? We ended up just leaving the middle drawer out - it was missing anyway. I gave that treadle to a friend of mine and she loves it so it was worth the work!

Have fun and keep us posted.

Nancy
Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I have the Chinese made repro hand crank and I don't really like it, since I have an original Singer hand crank; the differences between the 2 are quite noticeable. The handle on the repro doesn't feel as solid as the original. The grandkids agree with me.
Sharon can you post a picture of the Chinese made HC? I faintly remember what they look like, but would like to see it again.

Nancy
Old 06-15-2011, 06:05 AM

I brought the Ever Sew home last night. It is in a cute little cabinet. I am thinking "little" is good at this point. I have to re-arrange the furniture a bit now.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Hey Glenn--Here is my next machine with the wheel soaking in Evaporust. I can't get the wheel off, so I had to try to derust it this way. She is propped on her side with the wheel in pyrex pie pan. In the morning--no more rust.

Texas Jan
LOL Well, that works! I love the picture.

:lol:
Well, I sure don't use the pan for baking pies. lol

Texas Jan
Old 06-15-2011, 06:12 AM

I won the bid at Shopgoodwill.com! I know nothing about this machine. But I thought it looked really cool and bid on it. Got it for $6.00 plus shipping - total of $23.68. Not bad. I think I might just be getting a little pathetic, now I am buying based on looks!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211782.jpe   attachment-211783.jpe  
Old 06-15-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Texas Jan

She is an old New Home Ruby. I got her and her treadle cabinet for $5.00. I call her my $5.00 folley. Really sad, but getting there. I also redo cabinets.
Texas Jan, I am really going to follow this restoration project! That cabinet doesn't look fixable to me - are you going to try and fix/restore it too? The worst cabinet/machine I bought was a Pheasant decal 27 from 1901. The before and after pictures are here on page 357. I am not sure I'd want to tackle that again? We ended up just leaving the middle drawer out - it was missing anyway. I gave that treadle to a friend of mine and she loves it so it was worth the work!

Have fun and keep us posted.

Nancy
Yours is a beauty Nancy. I have decided to fix her as good as I can. She is not a "fine" cabinet and I could sink a fortune in her and she still would not be worth much. She will look fine, but her drawer carvings were trashed, so they are plain now. I decided not to put new veneer on her. Part of the table isn't oak, but the lid is oak, even with the veneer gone. I'll post more pictures soon.

Texas jan
Old 06-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
Ok, I'd have to get all three of those machines! The 401 is a great machine for using decorative stitches if you get the cams - you don't need the cabinet for it to sit flat on the table. The White Rotary is really a pretty machine - could be cleaned up really nice. The Singer 27 looks really great too!

Nancy[/quote

Nancy, that has a good variety of built in stitches if the stitch selector works - you do have to take time to figure out the system
Miriam, are you saying that the 401 stitches decorative stitches without cams? I thought all the 400's and 500's had to have cams to stitch decorative stitches? My 503a won't even stitch a straight stitch without the '0' cam. I know the 401 and 501 are the top of the lines for that series of machines.

Nancy
The 401 and the 500 stitch with out cams - they have built in cams but you can put cams on if you like. The 403 and the 503 do need to have cams to do anything but straight stitch. I love my 403 and my DIL loves her 503. I have also used one of my 401's quite a bit and it is a lot of fun to just turn the knob and get different stitches especially when I am piecing little pieces of denim on a jeans skirt - you don't have to change cams.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by tomilu
Here is a great buy on a Rocketeer with cabinet.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/for/2439752144.html

Tommie
Wahoo, the machine is mine. My daughter is picking it up for me tomorrow. Thanks, Tommie
Wow, you will love that machine! It looks like the 503a, but I can't tell for sure in the picture - too far away! Please post pictures up close and let us know which one it is! Love the cabinet too!

Nancy
looks like a 503 to me - only has the one knob on top - my DIL LOVES hers - her mom said she hated to sew - until I gave her a 503... I have to admit I didn't think she would sew so I gave her one I scrapped together for $5 - it was missing the doors and only had a few cams... She got her hands on it and she says she fell in love. Then I tried to trade her a 401 and she said NO WAY. She named the 503 Margaret after her grandma. DIL said "She is old and missing parts but she still gets things done." And she says "She was very fashionable in her day." The machine or the grandma??? Gotta love that gal!!! I keep giving her cams and a buttonholer for gifts. She quilted her old child hood t-shirts together one day and was so excited.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:50 AM

this looks beautiful to me - I too have several old machines and have gently worked on them - one is similar to yours but I do not have a key to the "lid" - any one know where to find one?