Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-18-2011, 08:52 AM

This is a great example of how confusing the sewing machine world can be. A few pages back I posted a picture of Kathie's new Franklin made by Davis in 1911 for Sears. I knew White also made a machine they called Franklin for Sears, but what a difference in the machines! Kathie's looks like an elaborate 127 with fancy decals, and this machine looks like a tank!

Nancy[/quote]

Nancy if my Franklin is a 127 can I use my 27 mauel for this machine? Does it thread the same way as the 27? Kathie
Old 06-18-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
Im hoping someone can give me some information about this Kenmore. I looked on the internet and I got years from the 30's to the 50's. The seriel # is 270003, and the model # is 117-552. An old neighbor gave this to me. Any information would be appriciated. Also I have no attachments or the book for it, only the foot that is on it. Any ideas where I can get them?
Billy, my husband looked at the machine and he said the spring that holds the motor against the crankwheel is worn out can this be fixed. He is saying that it would cost more to have it fixed than what its worth.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Maybe similar to this one?? It is a Stretched Singer called a Voyager 17.(My Bella)

Texas Jan
Texas Jan nice set up!

Nancy
Thanks, it works for me and what machine quilting I want to do.

Texas Jan
Old 06-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

Billy I love the new photo shop, I just hope it stays a photo shop! It would be nice if people use it only to post pictures and descriptions. If everyone starts commenting on the machines in the photo shop, it will become just like this side!

Nancy
I know that is why I said we could discuss any thing we needed to on this part of the shop and post more photos here if you like. But I just want name rank and serial numbers on that part.

Billy
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Banned

Im hoping someone can give me some information about this Kenmore. I looked on the internet and I got years from the 30's to the 50's. The seriel # is 270003, and the model # is 117-552. An old neighbor gave this to me. Any information would be appriciated. Also I have no attachments or the book for it, only the foot that is on it. Any ideas where I can get them?
Billy, my husband looked at the machine and he said the spring that holds the motor against the crankwheel is worn out can this be fixed. He is saying that it would cost more to have it fixed than what its worth.
Yes it can and I might have the right spring here for you. Let me check it out and see. That is the thing with the friction drives the springs tend to loose their spring so to speak.

Billy
Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I looked at my handcrank more closely and took a photo. I think what a few of you are saying is correct. It is just a handle screwed onto the flywheel, and not a true handcrank. Here is the photo so you can all have a closer look.
I find it odd that the screw that is holding the handle to the knob looks like a thumbscrew from a Singer. Singer has a proprietary thread pitch and as far as I know there were never any taps sold to the public for use. I wonder if a dealer did this or it was an obscure option that Singer had. The only thing though is the way it is set up it is a 1:1 ratio instead a 1:3 ratio like the real deal handcrank.

Billy
Old 06-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I looked at my handcrank more closely and took a photo. I think what a few of you are saying is correct. It is just a handle screwed onto the flywheel, and not a true handcrank. Here is the photo so you can all have a closer look.
Now that is interesting! I have never seen something like that! No it is not a true handcrank, but very interesting. Anyone else have a similar HC or seen one like that?

Nancy
I just bought one, sort of like that, on eBay. It's to convert a Feather Weight to a hand crank. The man makes them himself. All you have to do is to replace the clutch knob on the FW with the one that I bought.

Here is the listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/FEATHERWEIGHT-HA...#ht_1186wt_907

I haven't tried it yet but I hope it doesn't make my FW go backwards :shock:
Old 06-18-2011, 12:24 PM

Here is my "new" Singer 99K~~year 1954~~in it's own cabinet! Billy had once mentioned that the 3/4 sized cabinets are hard to come by so when I saw this machine on Craigslist I answered the ad right away, asking for the model number. Sure enough it was a 99....so for $80.00 it was mine!!

The girl that was selling it said that her boyfriend's mother had given it to her but she preferred a more modern machine. I gave her the money and packed it into my car with a big smile on my face :-D

I'm hoping that my little green 185 will also fit in that cabinet. It looks like the holes are set just right.

I have several 99's in wooden boxes but the cords on this one seem to be in really nice shape
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213427[/ATTACH]

The ruler is just to give you a visual for the size of it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213428[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-213421.jpe   attachment-213422.jpe  
Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Here is my "new" Singer 99K~~year 1954~~in it's own cabinet! Billy had once mentioned that the 3/4 sized cabinets are hard to come by so when I saw this machine on Craigslist I answered the ad right away, asking for the model number. Sure enough it was a 99....so for $80.00 it was mine!!

The girl that was selling it said that her boyfriend's mother had given it to her but she preferred a more modern machine. I gave her the money and packed it into my car with a big smile on my face :-D

I'm hoping that my little green 185 will also fit in that cabinet. It looks like the holes are set just right.
Cathy,
Thanks for posting your new 99 with a ruler along side to show just how small these machines are. Also, thanks for sharing the info about the man who makes the hand-cranks for the FW. Very clever and cool!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:55 PM

Are the sewing feet attachments for a Singer 127 and 99 interchangable? Are there generic attachements or do I have to go to vintage collectors?