Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-25-2011, 02:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Welllllll... I got it, another machine, a Singer 401.
Turns out that when you lift the left extension leaf into the upright position and reach down and pull the side of the cabinet; that the door opens and there is a tray inside. It was holding the original manual; bobbins and some miscellaneous stuff. It only has four cams but that really is enough for me right now.
Some of those cabinets did have a hidden door. Kind of a fun thing! The 401 came with 5 cams. (#1, #2, #3, #4, #5) There might be one more in position in the machine. The rest are built in. Since mine came with no manual (can't expect every thing from the garbage...) it took a while to figure out the selector knobs. There is a legend or what ever you want to call it in the top cover. You just look at the picture and set the levers like the legend. Well, they don't always come out like the legend says. Drove me nutty. I did come closer when I figured out you have to have the needle bar lever (to the right of the knobs) set certain positions to get the stitches the legend says it has. Then I found a manual. I like it better now that there is a manual on line. Your grand son will love playing with those knobs to get various stitches!!! HHHMMMMM better take the top off and show him what happens when you turn the knobs. The engineering on those machines are totally fascinating!!! I know my grand son will get one when he is older. He already has a sewing machine with no needle or motor. He is a year and a half - he thinks he has sewing all figured out. Oh and the machine was to keep him out of Mommie's - didn't work...
Old 06-25-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Help !! Does anyone know what this machine is?? It is listed as a Singer, on Craigslist for $40.00. I don't think it is a singer.

Texas Jan
G'day Jan

It looks like a HC I bought a few weeks ago and meant to post photos but got busy with other stuff. Mine was on eBay with a starting price of 99 cents and there were no bidders, then I contacted the seller later and said I would be in the city (2 hrs each way) that weekend and could I collect it. Felt a bit miserly handing over 99 cents so I gave them $5....LOL

It was totally seized, nothing moved but an hour after starting a full spa treatment I had it working. I found about a dozen needles (some rusty) in the base and even cleaned those because I'm not sure if they are still available. The top cover looks quite home made and I've since been told they were an optional extra, but the timber has old newspaper glued in place and one date I could read was from the mid 1890's so I guess the machine is from around that time too.

Photo quality is fairly poor....grrr phone cameras, hopefully I'll get some better photos to post in Billy's machine thread that will be much clearer but for now hope these will help. Oh, my machine is a Beale which was an Australian company who made sewing machines and pianos, Beale worked in conjunction with Hugo Wertheim.

Bronwyn ;-)
What a great find!! I love it that the newspaper is glued to the inside. Being an antique lover, I have several old quilt tops that were pieced on newsprint and I have read the backs of my tops from start to finish.
I am on my way to pick up my machine this morning. We will have to compare machines when I get back.

Texas Jan
Old 06-25-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Aw hell count me in and I will bring the Long Island Teas and cookies!!

Billy
Geeze this is sounding like more and more fun!

Nancy
Old 06-25-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
go to treadleon.net I had trouble with the site also. glenn
Ok Glenn I can get in that way!

Nancy
Old 06-25-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
If you look in my profile's my pages under recipes section, there are two recipes. One the Red Beet Chocolate cake, which is extremely yummy! And a Cinnamon/Ginger tea. I cut the sugar amount way down, just a 1/4 cup. This tea served cold is very refreshing!
Ok, I am going to have to try the beet cake and the tea! I just won't tell my DH what I made the cake with until he tries it!!!!!!

Kathie, maybe for the next Girl's Night Out - although, I can't make the July one -- August then, I will make the cake for all the ladies!

Nancy
Old 06-25-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
You have to bring at least one machine that you no longer want. Do you have a Necchi Supernova in your stash? I would love trying to treadle that machine!

The other day, I made red beet chocolate cake that was a big hit. My husband hates red beets, but he loved the cake.

I have the pink one--Julia, I think. It's in great condition, but I plan to keep it electric. I had a very rough looking gray one, but gave it to a friend. My decision is (finally) that I can't keep them all!!
I have several that I need to leave my place of residence, but they won't listen to me.
Miz Johnny I will happily take the Pfaff treadle! Or one of the Jones HC's!

Nancy
Old 06-25-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I got a 1926-66 at good will. The case is covered is snake skin fabric! Was that skin from the singer factory or a conversion? This fabric was the only thing holding the base together. I have removed it and I am going to glue it back together and recover it. I can use a snake skin [not my taste] or the FW black vinyl. What should it be? Thanks.
I think a lot of the cases were covered with a snake skin look fabric. My Mother's Pfaff 130's case looks like snake skin too.

Nancy
Old 06-25-2011, 04:46 AM

It looks like a HC I bought a few weeks ago and meant to post photos but got busy with other stuff. Mine was on eBay with a starting price of 99 cents and there were no bidders, then I contacted the seller later and said I would be in the city (2 hrs each way) that weekend and could I collect it. Felt a bit miserly handing over 99 cents so I gave them $5....LOL

It was totally seized, nothing moved but an hour after starting a full spa treatment I had it working. I found about a dozen needles (some rusty) in the base and even cleaned those because I'm not sure if they are still available. The top cover looks quite home made and I've since been told they were an optional extra, but the timber has old newspaper glued in place and one date I could read was from the mid 1890's so I guess the machine is from around that time too.

Photo quality is fairly poor....grrr phone cameras, hopefully I'll get some better photos to post in Billy's machine thread that will be much clearer but for now hope these will help. Oh, my machine is a Beale which was an Australian company who made sewing machines and pianos, Beale worked in conjunction with Hugo Wertheim.

Bronwyn ;-)
Bronwyn, what a cute little machine! I never see deals like that around here for a machine that old and cute! Nice find!

Nancy
Old 06-25-2011, 04:51 AM

Nancy (BoJangles) I owe you an apology because some weeks ago you asked me to post a photo of the machines covers I made and while I took a photo, I didn't get time to post it then completely forgot until I just looked for the HC photo for Jan.

Each one of my Janome's has it's own cover made from pre-quilted calico (muslin) which I embroidered with some grub roses and a monogram (both freebie designs).

The Brother shortarm quilter has a small quilt as a fitted cover would have been too time consuming to fit around the Handi Handles etc on the frame.

While I'm at it, here's a photo of the old spools of Sylko thread I was given via Freecycle recently, then I bought a shadow box frame to keep them dust free. These sit on a long hall table with two primitive style rag dolls and the Beale HC.

Bronwyn ;-)
Bronwyn, I love the machine cover! What an easy way to make a cover - using pre-quilted fabric! I love the embroidery too, but it would be cool to put the machine name on each cover so when you wash them you always know which machine gets which cover!

The shadow box is a great idea too! I will have to post a picture I have of a shadow like box I was given made to hold very old scissors!

Nancy
Old 06-25-2011, 05:01 AM

Billy, sure there are any left? hee hee
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by girliegirl
funny cake is PA DUTCH FOOD!! i will post the recipe on here, tonight if I get a chance, cheep and easy to make and very yummy with a cup of tea...
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by girliegirl
Hey can i join in??? I will bring the funny cake !!
What is funny cake? The more the better.
My rhubarb is ready to pick. I could add diet coke and rhubarb cake to the mix! :roll: :roll: I know what you are going to say about the dc :roll: :roll:
Aw hell count me in and I will bring the Long Island Teas and cookies!!

Billy