Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well Monica, and everyone else. I have tried e-mailing and calling this guy on this Hitachi, but no response. I will try again this morning.

This machine appears to be a treadle Hitachi, which I have never seen. I want to take a look at the machine or at least ask some questions about it. Has anyone on here seen a Hitachi treadle? Or does anyone have one of these machines? It looks very interesting.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/hsh/2517149361.html

Nancy
I figured you had never seen one either. Hopefully it is still available, but I bet there are others out there that may have seen this post too.
I also had a question on the sewing machine so I e-mail him. I have not gotten any response. Kathie
My husband says he wouldn't go with the Hitachi unless it was free. He would go after a vintage Brother, vintage Juki, or vintage Janome, but not the Hitachi. He is reading over my shoulder now...He saw the Kenmore that was posted the other night and said it reminds him of a Airbus 838...heehee. I got my daughter sewing with Singer 401 and loving the machine, and my husband wanting to see all the vintage finds for the day.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by LyndaOH
Does anyone have an opinion on this machine:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?itemid=8290117
I have the high (and only) bid right now. It ends in an hour and I'm just wondering if I should be willing to go higher than the $25.

On another note, I was looking at machines last night with my husband looking over my shoulder and he's now completely into finding a machine! Yee haw!
Everyone here speaks highly of their 66, which is what I found on the singer chart at
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/asse...GER_AF_nos.pdf

I have one in a cabinet and I like it a lot. The case looks good too. I live in an area where not a lot of machines change hands, so price can be flexible.
I did end up winning this machine for $25. Shipping is a bit pricey, but I knew it would be. It should be on its way in just a few days. I can't wait to get it!

This is something my husband and I will be able to work on together. He's a model railroader and good with anything electrical/electronic and is more detail oriented than I am.

I'll post pictures when it arrives!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
I had grand plans of having 50 by the time I am fifty next year, so am getting more particular as well, for the last few to get me to the goal.
How many more do you have to go?

I had to come back and edit because that sounds strange, but some folks here put my numbers to shame. It is hard for me, because most of my machines, except 4 or so, actually work. I only get ones that can be used, and I try to complete a project on every one to show its worthiness.
Or mine!!!
Cool! I do the same, try to make at least one project from my operable machines.
I would love to see your projects and the machines that you used to make it. Please post in the Sewing with vintage machines: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-134918-7.htm
Ditto. In fact, William tells people with great pride, "She USES them!" :lol:
It is fun to see these beauties in action!!! I marvel at the quality of the stitches, mechanics of the machines, and ornateness.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:16 AM

Yep, "I'm in," no longer just a FW wannabe. Got my first vintage singer machine today. It's a 1950 221-1. I got it from a sewing machine repair shop -- it's newly serviced and has a new case. I love it. It has a few paint chips -- and has two areas of peeled paint. One area is under the bobbin area, and the other area is above the power supply. One member advised using a black Model Masters paint pen for the chips, but I need advice on whether I should treat the peeled edges before painting. Help?

AJ564179, FW 221-1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233880[/ATTACH]

peeling under bobbin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233881[/ATTACH]

peeling above power supply
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233882[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233874.jpe   attachment-233875.jpe   attachment-233876.jpe  
Old 07-30-2011, 11:23 AM

Well Monica, and everyone else. I have tried e-mailing and calling this guy on this Hitachi, but no response. I will try again this morning.

This machine appears to be a treadle Hitachi, which I have never seen. I want to take a look at the machine or at least ask some questions about it. Has anyone on here seen a Hitachi treadle? Or does anyone have one of these machines? It looks very interesting.

Nancy
I figured you had never seen one either. Hopefully it is still available, but I bet there are others out there that may have seen this post too.
I also had a question on the sewing machine so I e-mail him. I have not gotten any response. Kathie
My husband says he wouldn't go with the Hitachi unless it was free. He would go after a vintage Brother, vintage Juki, or vintage Janome, but not the Hitachi. He is reading over my shoulder now...He saw the Kenmore that was posted the other night and said it reminds him of a Airbus 838...heehee. I got my daughter sewing with Singer 401 and loving the machine, and my husband wanting to see all the vintage finds for the day.
Well Monica, I finally got a hold of the owner of the Hitachi. She says her boyfriend got it with a storage unit he bought. They know nothing about it and can't find anything on the internet about it either. I believe them, as I can't find a thing about a treadle Hitachi either - not even on E-bay, which means this is a very rare machine. I can't even find a history for the Hitachi company? I am going to look at it (I will probably buy it, just because it is extremely rare!). She has bobbins and needles and says it does not have a motor at all! Interesting isn't it? It is fun to own something really odd, even if your DH says no!

Nancy
Old 07-30-2011, 11:38 AM

[quote=melinda1962][quote=Candace][quote=vintagemotif][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Candace
Hey folks! I was wondering if any of you brainiacs know what model # this Singer is? I've never seen one like it??
Definitely a 319. I have a green two tone one. The typewriter keys are a tell and if you look just below the stitch lentgh adjuster, there is a little plate which also says the model. I found a free manual online. It mainly tries to convince the owner how easy it is to use. LOL
Someone posted a link to a youtube video of a lady using that machine with the keys. It was really cool, but I'm not cool enough to want one!!
Maybe the person will re-link it!
Jan on 446
Old 07-30-2011, 11:50 AM

Well Monica, I finally got a hold of the owner of the Hitachi. She says her boyfriend got it with a storage unit he bought. They know nothing about it and can't find anything on the internet about it either. I believe them, as I can't find a thing about a treadle Hitachi either - not even on E-bay, which means this is a very rare machine. I can't even find a history for the Hitachi company? I am going to look at it (I will probably buy it, just because it is extremely rare!). She has bobbins and needles and says it does not have a motor at all! Interesting isn't it? It is fun to own something really odd, even if your DH says no!

Nancy[/quote]
Nancy I want to hear all about it after you get it. Kathie
Old 07-30-2011, 11:59 AM

Nancy

Nancy
I've seen this machine with many badges on it. I think Necchi sold these as clones to different folks who put their own label on it. So, I don't believe it to be a rare machine at all. Though, if Necchi made it, it's sure to be a very reliable and wonderful machine. If you buy it, but it for that not because it's rare. Because these are out there on the market with lots of different names on them.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:02 PM

Nancy

Nancy
You go get it!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of this machine and the information that you come up with on the Hitachi machines. I say it is rare here in the States, but it may not be rare elsewhere, like Japan.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Candace

Nancy

Nancy
I've seen this machine with many badges on it. I think Necchi sold these as clones to different folks who put their own label on it. So, I don't believe it to be a rare machine at all. Though, if Necchi made it, it's sure to be a very reliable and wonderful machine. If you buy it, but it for that not because it's rare. Because these are out there on the market with lots of different names on them.
This now makes sense. The shape looks like the Necchi clones that I have seen with other names/labels. Thanks!!!!