Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-05-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Back to bobbins, I thought Billy had told me that the Model 15 uses the bobbins that we can find at Wal Mart? The metal Singer Bobbins -- I may be wrong -- I need to go back and find that post! Anyway, I bought a bunch of those cheap bobbins and they work just fine on my Model 15-88.

I went to my local sewing repair man today and asked him for some 'class 66' bobbins for my Redeye. What he gave me for my Redeye Model 66 - for a much higher price than Wal Mart - was the exact same thing I got from Wal Mart for the Model 15.

Billy please comment on this post! We need your opinion!

Nancy
If you buy them on a card, they will actually say Class 66 or Class 15. I hate to say this, but will anyway. There are quite a few folks out there working in shops that have no idea there is a difference between a 15 and 66 bobbin. They are used to new machines and have little contact with the old ones--their job is to sell you a new one when you come in for repair.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Love my stash

Mine is just a straight '15' not a 15-something. As this was coming down the thread I saw the references go from one to the other. So am I to ASSUME that needles, attachments, bobbins etc, are the same for both. I am really confused now.

Cheryl
Cheryl, I am sure someone else can answer this better than I can, but Singer tried to keep things uniform. I think the Model 15's are interchangeable.

Anyone else know for sure?

Nancy
Needles, attachments, bobbins are the same, but some take different bobbin cases.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

If you buy them on a card, they will actually say Class 66 or Class 15. I hate to say this, but will anyway. There are quite a few folks out there working in shops that have no idea there is a difference between a 15 and 66 bobbin. They are used to new machines and have little contact with the old ones--their job is to sell you a new one when you come in for repair.
Well Miz Johnny I really like our sewing repair shop guy, but he doesn't know old machines. He is very new to repairing sewing machines as he 'expanded' his vacuum shop to a sewing machine shop/repair shop a few years ago.

I specifically asked for 'class 66' bobbins yesterday, which he sells for $1 each. I only got two because when he brought them out, they looked exactly like the bobbins I had bought per Billy at Wal Mart for my Model 15 at a much cheaper price!

Anyway, I will still let him service him 'new' machines. He does a good job, but I am going to a very old guy tomorrow to get the right bobbins. I am just afraid to try anything else at this point. This guy has been around this area forever working on sewing machines. He is in his late 80's and everyone tells me he is just the best!

Thank you, Nancy
Old 10-06-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I have had several WR machines, and they take a regular 15 X 1 needle.
Clean hook area thoroughly. Make sure needle is in correctly--take needle out and put in a new one. Recheck your thread path--take thread out and start over. Make sure bobbin is turned the right direction and threaded the right way.

I have been sewing since childhood, and have managed to waste hours on such things as:
Needle in backward (happened a couple of years ago, and took 3 of us 2 hours to get right)
New needle that happened to be flawed
Lint in bobbin area
Poor quality new bobbin in old machine (happened this summer; it took several tries to get it right, and a very experienced OSMG and I several hours to figure it out)
Bobbin in backward
Thread popped out of guide (happened this past weekend--I did some serious ripping of seams before figuring this one out)

No matter how long we've been sewing or how long we've worked on machines, we still have to make a simple mistake once in a while. It keeps us humble. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Yesterday, I thought I did everything to try and get my WR to pick up the bobbin thread -- nothing worked. I will try again using all your suggestions. But, I am thinking maybe when we took the bobbin hook/race (whatever it is) thing off to get the thread that was jammed in there out that we messed up some timming or something? My DH says he did not mess with any timming as the bobbin casing just popped out and back in when he loosened a screw. Anyway, this machine is so ugly that I really like it! Solid black and embossed, and I want to get it working! The bobbin case for this machine is weird too. It has like a neck that you pull the thread through when you thread the bobbin. There was a needle on the machine when we got it, so I got my magnifying glass out to read what the needle was. It is a Schmetz 80. The WR book says to use 'only' White needles, that is why I was thinking it took a special needle. I am too frustrated today to try.

Between the WR frustrating me with the needle not picking up the bobbin thread; and the Redeye that I can't even try to sew on because I still need bobbins, I am taking the day off from my sewing machines! I am going riding!

Thanks for all your help! I couldn't do any of this without this group! Nancy
Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 AM

Yesterday, I thought I did everything to try and get my WR to pick up the bobbin thread -- nothing worked. I will try again using all your suggestions. But, I am thinking maybe when we took the bobbin hook/race (whatever it is) thing off to get the thread that was jammed in there out that we messed up some timming or something? My DH says he did not mess with any timming as the bobbin casing just popped out and back in when he loosened a screw. Anyway, this machine is so ugly that I really like it! Solid black and embossed, and I want to get it working! The bobbin case for this machine is weird too. It has like a neck that you pull the thread through when you thread the bobbin. There was a needle on the machine when we got it, so I got my magnifying glass out to read what the needle was. It is a Schmetz 80. The WR book says to use 'only' White needles, that is why I was thinking it took a special needle. I am too frustrated today to try.

Between the WR frustrating me with the needle not picking up the bobbin thread; and the Redeye that I can't even try to sew on because I still need bobbins, I am taking the day off from my sewing machines! I am going riding!

Thanks for all your help! I couldn't do any of this without this group! Nancy
I doubt very much that it's the timing. On old machines, it's hard to get them out of time.
My favorite OSMG says the first law of troubleshooting is to "Lock the tool box." He's right. I can't tell you how many times I have screwed up something on a machine with a major adjustment when something simple would have worked. Love that tool box!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:50 AM

I have been reading every word of this WONDERFUL forum for a couple of months now, and I want a vintage soooooo bad it hurts. DH and I are going north this weekend and I am going to scout out all the resale shops I can find! I got an old Viking earlier this year but the info sites on that machine are NO WHERE NEAR as good as this one!! I got frustrated with it, but DH is still trying... Any suggestions on how to find the resale shops in a particular area?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
I have been reading every word of this WONDERFUL forum for a couple of months now, and I want a vintage soooooo bad it hurts. DH and I are going north this weekend and I am going to scout out all the resale shops I can find! I got an old Viking earlier this year but the info sites on that machine are NO WHERE NEAR as good as this one!! I got frustrated with it, but DH is still trying... Any suggestions on how to find the resale shops in a particular area?
Do a Google search for Michigan Resale shops. I find some neat ones that way. Or whatever state you will be visiting! LOL
Old 10-06-2010, 07:02 AM

What model Viking do you have? Check out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/viking...chinespre1980/
Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 AM

Thank you! I did the google, but very few shops came up, I will go back in and see if any other lists come up, later in the day. Thank you for the site info, I have sent a sign up request, I hope they are helpful!!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Billy or anyone that knows, can I use the bobbins for my Model 15 in the 66 Redeye?

Nancy
Nancy,
Not possible, the bobbins are very different.
Sharon W.
LOL! So I discovered!

Nancy