May Weight Loss 2016

Old 05-07-2016, 03:44 AM

My knees feel somewhat better from me injuring them on Monday. I was at my spinning class and while we were sitting and pedaling fast the seat fell. This made my knees bend a lot more than they are capable of. The right one which was replaced 1 year ago is mostly better. The left one which is not in the best shape to start with is still somewhat sore. It doesn't help that I was on cafeteria duty all week. 2 1/2 hours on my feet. It almost feels like I tore the meniscus. It is not as bad as earlier this week but still sore. I am going to try a gentle ride later today and see how that goes. I have a doctor appt on Friday which was for my one year check up of the replacement. He would have probably done an MRI on the other one as it has been bothering me before the injury. I had Syndics shots in the other knee for years. Hopefully that will fix the left one for a time.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:43 PM

Oh Pat...it hurts to even read about your knees! I'm babying mine along until I cannot stand it any longer and then will have a replacement which is why I am trying to diet....trying being the operative word! After a nice loss in March I managed to fall flat on my face...not a good month, April. Have been using meal replacements and my inner self is telling me they're not healthy...so, I'm waffling on a program and like those here (I"m sure) I've done every program twice. Take care of your knees.
I'm in for the May weight loss challenge.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:21 PM

Pat, how did the shot work for you? We are waiting on insurance approval for Orthovisc shots in both knees. I am too heavy for a replacement but they hurt too much to do much walking or standing.

Leighway, have you tried any of the Hyaluronic Acid shot type things? It is a series of 3 - 4 shots one week apart and is supposed to help for about 6 months. This is what I am going to try as soon as I get word back from insurance. My knees have been awful. I went shopping with a friend and was on my feet for 2 hours and then basically for the next week I was in such pain that my Physical Therapist (for my foot) had me cancel the rest of my appointments until I got the knees looked at. I couldn't do any of my exercises for the pain.
I got a "permanent" handicap placard on Monday for the bad days.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 05-08-2016, 11:54 PM
Power Poster

Ugh I gained over 5 lbs over the last month or so. I was at my goal weight but it has been bad here. Too many relatives and other things going on. Just sending a warning out. Nip those calories in the bud. Today is the first day in weeks that I have had a true dieting day. Ugh no fun! When I read up on gaining back weight after attaining weight loss I can get really discouraged. Any encouragement or tip on how to keep it off?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:25 PM

I had the shots in my knee for almost 4 years. They worked pretty well until the end then they suddenly quit working. At first they worked really well for 6 months or more and slowly worked less well and for a shorter period of time. They work for some people and not for others. I had the shots where you get the series of 3 a week apart and also the Syndics one shot which is only one shot. Both seemed to work about the same, the syndics one was a little bit more painful to get but it was only once so I preferred it. I also take glucosamine that seems to help some and turmeric with black pepper daily. Turmeric is supposed to help with the inflamation. They seem to help. I have a Dr appt on Friday for my one year checkup of my replacement of my right knee. The left one was bothering me before my accident at spinning class. What has me upset the most is the right one is still a little bit sore in one spot and it was basically pain free except for stiffness in the morning or when sitting too long. I hope I didn't damage anything in it as I have worked way too hard to get it where it is.
I went to spinning class tonight and took it somewhat easy. Both knees feel a little bit sore, especially the left one. I will see how they feel tomorrow. I figured I should see how it went before going to the dr. I only rode 16.5 miles tonight.I hope I can walk in the morning.
I had way too many goodies over the weekend.
Good luck everyone.
Pat
Old 05-09-2016, 04:27 PM

I have only heard from a couple of people for April. I lost 4.4 pounds so I guess I am the winner.
Pat
Old 05-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Thank you Pat for telling me about your knees. Mine have been bad a long time. Dr. wanted to start the shots in my left knee 4 years ago but my foot was so bad I couldn't walk or stand enough to piss the knee off enough to start them. Now both knees are awful. I can't walk hardly at all or stand very long. The foot is still bad but the knees are hurting worse now.
Have to reduce my BMI at least 5 points before he will do surgery.

Congratulations on your win this month!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 05-10-2016, 11:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
I have only heard from a couple of people for April. I lost 4.4 pounds so I guess I am the winner.
Pat
Congratulations! It is nice to win and an encouragement. Enjoy!
Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 PM

I know I am really late but I got my FQ's out today. It's a good thing that you are the winner of April's challenge Pat!

Old 05-13-2016, 03:03 PM

I had my one year check up of my knee replacement. He was really happy with how it is doing. My cycling mishap has it irritated but no damage done. The other knee is very irritated and doesn't appear to have anything serious torn. He put a shot of cortisone in it and said it should feel better. If it gets worse to call him. He said it could take 4 weeks to heal. Glad to hear my knee is ok, I worked too hard to get it whee it is now.
I took chocolate chip cookies to work today. I figured we might need them as it is not only Friday the 13th, but a full moon too. The kids were a little crazy but not too awful.