Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you have responded?

If I had no plans to make it again, and if I didn't want the confrontation, I'd just give her my copy. (I figure it's like a book, once purchased, it's mine and I can give it away or sell it as used if I want.)

But otherwise, I'd just tell her that I'm uncomfortable with copying copyrighted information and that she should just contact the original designer and see if she would give her a copy. Sometimes they will.

Blog Entries
    does the same apply to books? my friends and i occasionally trade quilting books.

Blog Entries
    Your reluctance to give it to her is a measure of your integrity - just say "No". Then move on & don't worry about it - don't let her live 'rent free in your brain'.

Just say "NO" !!! it's unfair to the designer (friend or no friend) and really cheesy of her to expect to get it for FREE !

Some great advice here....life is hard enough without "friends" making it harder. Stand firm with your beliefs and maybe she will get the message.

QM
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    "you mean it's too expensive for YOU to buy, but it's not too expensive for ME to buy?"
    Since when it is OK for someone else to dip into your wallet to get THEIR goodies? Tell her "H!LL NO!"

And BTW, some people don't understand anything less than a confrontation.
    I agree on both counts.

If you don't want a confrontation, you might just remind her the pattern is copyrighted and you can not copy it, but if she can't afford a copy, you will just buy her one. She is probably not going to let you do that, and will likely get the message and drop the whole thing. I have never understood someone wanting a copy of something that is copyrighted. I would never do that, and have had to refuse to do that a couple of times.

Wow, the nerve of some people!

Blog Entries
    Stand by your principles!
    If she's as close of a friend as you say, she should know that, & not put you in that kind of aa situation.

Stand firm and don't cave in (as I probably would) and if you lose her as a friend, she was no friend to begin with.

I would tell her to contact the designer and purchase a copy of the pattern from her.

I just tell them straight out "NO WAY" I don't share patterns. If it be one that I designed I would still say no!

Blog Entries
    I think this is the way too go! why do some people think you are able to just pay and they can just take advantage??? good luck and I hope you can make her see reason!
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    I would have said....in a laughing voice......"Heck no! I paid full price for that sucker, I'm not giving it away!"

It works for me.

You did the right thing..you told her it was copyrighted..you spent your money..if she wants it she can spend her own money..if she can afford to quilt the quilt she can afford to buy her own patterns...besides if she is such a good friend to the creator than you could remind her thats how she makes her living and you don't want to be taking food from her table anymore than your other friends...blessings

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
    Maybe you could put it back on her. Say, "Is this a test? You know it's copyrighted and I can't give it to you. Are you trying to see if I'd cheat?".
    That sounds like just the perfect thing to say. I agree with that we shouldn't have to pay full price and someone else get the same thing for free.

j
    WHen I buy a pattern or rubber stamp (that I also do) I do not make copies for anyone, even at a lower price. If you cant afford it, you dont have it is my motto. -- J

I'm guessing its a book of quilt patterns???BOM???

Why not tell her that you sold it on this site?!!

Quote Originally Posted by njl2401
    Why not tell her that you sold it on this site?!!
    That sounds like a good idea. Or if you have no plans of making it again, offer to sell it to her.

The same thing you did. You had to pay for it, so should she.
    I believe people should be paid for their creativity and not have it stolen out from under them. Good for you. If you need to
    end the relationship, then end the relationship. It doesn't sound like one that you would want to keep anyway. :thumbup:

Call her and say "Hi there I just came up with the figure of how much your pattern copy will be it's $???? It cost me the same thing and I know you'll love the pattern! How's that. I think it's polite and to the point.

you are right. copywrite is a big issue and we dont always think about it. Not only have you paid for the pattern. the designer is out her due when some one copies. I have been guilty in the past. but no more!!

Quote Originally Posted by connie_1936
    does the same apply to books? my friends and i occasionally trade quilting books.
    My understanding is that you can sell/give/trade/lend books or patterns that are copyrighted, but it's illeagal to make a copy of those things.

Blog Entries
    I remember as a child and teenager trying to talk my parents into agreement on something I thought I wanted to do. When Mother wanted to stop me in my tracks she would say
    "Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong, you decide."

Blog Entries
    I have a friend that does not like to pay to take classes as some of them can be pricey, so I don't mind paying for them, but she always says you can teach me. I usually just say someday, my schedule is pretty busy. We live quite aways from each other and she usually forgets. But on the other hand she always wants to share with me, so occasionally I do share, but it does gall me that she can be so cheap. I love her dearly, and I don't think she realizes that she is being cheap

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast