Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you have responded?

You did the right thing. You said the designer is a close friend and the begger of free patterns is an acquaintance.
    "Nuff said".

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Time to put on your big girl panties my dear.

Simply say, "No, I am not going to share my pattern with you. Not only is it a copyright violation, but the designer is a good friend of mine, and I want her to get the revenue she deserves from her work. I will be happy to give you the ordering information so you can get the patterns yourself." And stick to it.

Why are people so afraid of being ethical now days? Most people seem to think "It's all about ME", not what is right. It is time for those of us who know better to grow some spine and stand up for what is right. And if other less ethical people "think less of us", so what?

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    I would have said....in a laughing voice......"Heck no! I paid full price for that sucker, I'm not giving it away!"

It works for me.
    I like this approach, adds humor to soften the blow, but gets the point across.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    There are some good responses on this thread. hannajo (page one & p 5) is right on in her postings.
    Which begs the question, can't the pattern just be shared, but not copied, which would then be legal?

I am with you. I would not have given her the pattern. As you tried to explain to your friend about the copyright, for you to give her the patter would be against the law. If it comes down to ending the relationship then I say she wasn't a very good friend. Jeanniebelle

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    Be straight forward with her. Tell her exactly why you won't share--- it's the right thing.
    Same thing applies to CDs and computer programs. It is amazing the really nice people who think nothing of this kind of theft.

Blog Entries
    "PERHAPS YOU DIDN"T UNDERSTAND. IT IS COPYWRITED.
    (and perhaps I can't spell!)

Please don't put your pattern designer in the same position that is so uncomfortable to you. She has to buy her own pattern.

Blog Entries
    I agree with everyone. If you loose this "friendship" because of this, I don't think you've lost anything!

I think a response that "the designer is my friend and the product is under copyright. I can't give you a copy." is sufficient.

I understand avoiding confrontation but if the lady is willing to push you after what you have already said, she's not much of a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    "you mean it's too expensive for YOU to buy, but it's not too expensive for ME to buy?"
    Since when it is OK for someone else to dip into your wallet to get THEIR goodies? Tell her "H!LL NO!"

And BTW, some people don't understand anything less than a confrontation.
    I'm with ptquilts....some people have nerve! Say it with the same emphasis....it may be she's not that nervy she just never thought of it the right way. If you say it with the above emphasis she can't help but get the message.

Tell her "no way for free" she has to buy the pattern like everyone else has to.

This is a good opportunity to educate this person. You can refer to having to pay royalties for songs played, copyright laws in publications, and the chance to honor the creativity of quilters and designers as just as professional and worthy of compensation as other forms of creativity. It's not the 19th century any more and the fiber arts have reached a whole new level.

Blog Entries
    I don't think the 'friend' cannot afford it, I think the woman is just plain cheap, wanting something for nothing. Ethical people do not do that to their friends. Besides, quilting is not exactly cheap when you consider the tools, time, fabric purchases etc. Sounds like she is a 'fair-weather' friend. Not my kind.

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gzuslivz
    If you are ok with it, you could tell her that while you won't violate copyright law and cheat a mutual friend but you will sell it to her:-) Tell her that you wouldn't cheat her if she was the designer, either.
    Okay, I'm rather new to quilting, but the area of copyrights is quite fuzzy to me. I understand the purpose of copyrighting and I agree that if the pattern is copyrighted you cannot share it. However, why is it okay then to sell it to somebody else to use AFTER you have used it? It doesn't give the creator any more money, it just basically gives you, the user, a free pattern. Just one of those things that makes you go, hmmmmm.

Seems like we're all of the same mind. Not only is it illegal, if she's a friend of the designer also, she ought to be ashamed of trying to take $ out of the designer's hand. And as far as I'm concerned it's just downright rude of her to even ask.

maybe you should tell her what a copyright means and then explain it to her. :roll:

Blog Entries
    I did have something like this happen, I said it's copy righted, she said who will know, I said (really) You, Me and God. It shut her right up, We are still friends.

I have nothing to add, but want to compliment you for chosing the hard right over the easy wrong in this situation. I trust your actions would be exactly the same if you did NOT know the designer.

Banned
    I cannot because it is a copyright pattern. End of confrontation

Blog Entries
    This has been hanging over your head since the call. If you had said, NO I can't give the pattern away without permission it would have been over and done with and no more fretting about it. Look at it this way, It's the same as her asking you to give her money you paid for the pattern and the pattern too! She's cheating two people. Never feel bad about saying NO and ladies raise your DDs to say Heck No! to anyone.

Since the designer is a friend, set up a date and time when she can be there for your other 'friend' to come over and get the pattern. That should be the end of this person's copyright infringement.

I'd tell her I'm not going to break the law, which is what you will be doing if you copy it for her.

I would polietly explain that you understand the great amount of work that went into the development of the pattern and the author/developer is a dear friend and you can not deny her rights as it pertains to the pattern and asking to do so puts you in a situation that could jeopordize that freindship. And if she had a pattern she developed you would do the same for her.

nab
    I do not understand some people. The designer is a friend. This other person is an aquaintance. Please do not put your friendship at risk. One good friend is worth more than many aquaintances.

I would just explain to her that you can't afford to pay for the pattern and just give her a copy. That to be fair about the copyright laws she should really purchase her own. Shame to lose friendship, but sometimes you just gotta confront her head on!!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast