Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about you!

This thread is sure interesting!!
    A friend showed me the basics and then I took classes...after my 1st sampler...I was hooked. That was 30 years ago. I do not have this sampler as gave away for a gift. But I do have my 2nd one made at another class.
    My favorite pattern is still the Ohio Star as I was born in Ohio...always a Buckeye girl!!I keep some quilts for our home but a lot go to family, friends and charity. My oldest is a 9 patch bought at and auction as just a top which I finished...maybe from the 30s.I am in a guild and very active and yes I do take workshops as always something to learn.I have 4 quilts going in our guild quilt show this September.I did teach a few classes to get some newbies started with quilting and they are all still going strong...20 years later.I quilt as there is always something to learn from each pattern and quilting has me smiling all the time. So much fabric and so little time...

WHO TAUGHT ME TO QUILT? I grew up sitting next to my mother quilting. That was the hand quilting part. Did not start piecing until much later. My mother all winter long had quilts in the frame in our living room (no TV in those days)
    WHAT PATTERN FIRST QUILT? I started out making a small wall hanging that I still have hanging in my dining room, a white center quilted in cross hatch and circle of feathers (my mother's favorite). Around the center with gray flying geese. I do have a Fan Quilt that my grandmother made we think in the late 1800's or early 1900. She passed away in 1933. It is truly a treasure.
    WHAT DO I DO WITH MY QUILTS? I have kept most of the big ones, however I have not made many. I still have many that need quilting and don't have the time to hand quilt them, and can't decide to have the machine quilted. I have been commissioned to do a large wall hanging for a co-worker 8 yrs ago.
    GUILD--No, but I have done several block of the month at a couple different LQS and that is how I got my experience in piecing. I have arranged and guided our church to get involved in quilting. We have put 2 quilts as a congregation together, hand quilted and then loaned to members that are grieving, ill or struggling in their life. They are returned, laundered and waiting if someone else needs 'comfort' from the community.
    ENTER IN A SHOW-Right now I would never do that, but I do like to go to shows and get ideas of what I would like to try next.
    ENCOURAGE OTHERS--Yes, I am always trying to get others involved in quilting.
    WHY--Like others have said, therapy. I can get lost and forget the world around me when I am alone in my sewing room.

I took a class making a sampler quilt.
    I have made about 6 quilts, and have given them all away to my family.
    I love to sew and quilt.
    I have never entered mine in a quilt show.
    I do belong to a quilting guild.
    We are having a quilt show this fall.

Who taught you how to quilt? Me! Mostly from books and trial and error

What pattern was the first quilt you made? a 9-patch baby quilt for #2 (of 7)

Do you still have your 1st quilt? Yep, it was used by all the babies and now resided in "Mom's Baby Memorabilia" box

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why? usually the one I'm currently working on

What do you do with the quilts you make? Mostly made baby quilts for my own, and they were used and loved for years, I've also given quilts to charity. Now I'm making quilts for my grand daughter. I'd like to tart selling some

What is the oldest quilt in your collection? I have 2 quilts from I think the 30's that were in my Grandma's things. I don't know who made them. I also have a box of 9-patch squares from the 40's that my GGma made.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops? Nope - no time!

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair? no

Have you encouraged others to try quilting? yes, but no success so far!

Why do you quilt? I love the colors and feel of cotton, and this is one of my creative outlets to keep this single homeschooling mom-of-7 sane! I get a thrill when I open my quilting fabrics drawer and see all those yummy fabrics!

Who taught me to quilt: My grandmother and Mama.

What pattern was the first quilt I made: Dresden plate. Don't like the colors though, but it was made from scraps that we had back then (mid-1950's). I was a teenager then. I didn't quilt this one but I did piece the entire quilt and Mama quilted it for me.

Do I still have my first quilt: Yes

Which of my quilts is my favorite and why: The Umbrella Girl quilt that my Mama made. She did it probably in the 40's and always said it was her favorite and she would never get rid of it. Around 2004, she said, "Mary I want you to have this quilt" and I said Mama, "you said you would never get rid of it". She said, But I want you to have it because you have been so good to me. She passed away in 2009. What a treasure she gave me. It was great that she gave it to me then, since the first year she was in the nursing home, my sister broke into Mama's house and stole all her quilts that she had made. She had so many beautiful quilts.

What do you do with the quilts you make: I keep some and give some away torelatives who have helped me.

What is the oldest quilt in my collection? Probably one my MIL made in the 30's and a Flower Garden made by my grandmother who lived to be 100 and 2 months. It was probably made in the 30's.

Don't belong to any guild.

I have never entered a quilt in a show or fair, but entered a block in the Wal-Mart quilt contest a few years ago and won first prize at that particular store. They used the blocks from different stores to make a quilt, but I never did see it.

I have tried to encourage my sister to try, but she doesn't want to.

I quilt to help me deal with depression which I have suffered from for many, many years.

I use to make my kids clothes. But now they are all grown I decided to try quilting. I am self taught as there are no classes around me. I have been quilting for 3 yrs have serveral tops but can't get the FMQ down.
    I work full time so it is hard to find time. I am now in a slump I can't get motivated to sew. I wish I would get out of this slump because quitling really destresses me.
    There are so many beautiful quilts everyone has posted on here. I wish I could quilt all day.

would love to quilt all day also but too many interruptions. best time for me is late evening and during night when i know there won't be any phone calls or door bells ringing. seem to concentrate better late at night and make less mistakes. just tend to sleep later in morning if i need to.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am teaching myself how to quilt, and my first quilt was a doll quilt. for the doll quilt swap, we have every month. and I don't have it. I did my own pattern, and applique. and I think I am worn out now with all those questions. :D God bless. Penny

Who taught you how to quilt? I am self-taught. I have sewn for years though.

What pattern was the first quilt you made? A wall sampler with different shaped blocks.

Do you still have your 1st quilt? Yes, it's hanging on my wall in my sewing room

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why? The one I did of my grandchildren's drawings. It's called "Look What We Drew?" I took some of their drawings and put them in a quilt.

What do you do with the quilts you make? Mostly gifts. I have sold some too.

What is the oldest quilt in your collection? I don't have any old quilts from the past. Just the one's I've created.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops? No to either, but I do head up a quilting group from my church at my home.

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair? No,not yet.

Have you encouraged others to try quilting? Yes, thru my church.

Why do you quilt? It's very relaxing to me.

I taught my self what little i know. My oldest quilt i bought in yard sale its about 60 years old. Yes have my first one. I go to a quilt class twice a month. Won first place on my bowtie its all hand pieced and quilted And i quilt to keep my mind from wandering to places that is sad for me. I love this board and i know i will learn from you the great quilters.

From MN, living full time in our Motor Home
    Who taught you how to quilt?
    I took a community ed class.

What pattern was the first quilt you made?
    The twisted Log Cabin.

Do you still have your 1st quilt?
    No, one of my DK's absconded with it. It wasn't the greatest, but the next one was much better .

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why?
    Oh, maybe the one I'm working on now. I have been wanting to make one for myself for years and am now making the time to do it.

What do you do with the quilts you make?
    Mostly for gifts for family and a few cherished friends.

What is the oldest quilt in your collection?
    I have a dressy lady quilt. It has blocks and Victorian ladies with parasols and sometimes a dog. The ladies are embroidered and the skirts/dresses appliquéd. This quilt was given to me by the woman who we bought the house for. Her family had built the house and her grandmother made the quilt for her and her sister who were just little girls. It isn't in great shape, but I still love it.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops?
    We have been living in our motorhome for the last year, but I enjoy quilting with a group when I am around.

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair?
    Nope, not yet.

Have you encouraged others to try quilting?
    Oh, yes.

Why do you quilt? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Because without the creative outlet I think I would dry up and blow away!

Who taught me to quilt? I began by taking a class and made a sampler. I sure lacked confidence, but perseverance and books, youtube, and online quilt sites have helped me immensely. And I can't thank the many quilters enough, who are so willing to take time to share and help others!

What pattern was my first? After the class sampler, I made a cute Xmas wallhanging with appliqued gingerbread men and a house. Gave it to my sister:) Most of what I've made so far have ended up as gifts, it makes me happy to give them to special people.

Do I belong to a guild or attend workshops? I don't belong to a guild, but I do like participating in workshops, learning new things.

Why do I quilt? It began as a challenge to myself after surviving brain surgery and a stroke. I'm fine today, but I consider this to have been part of my rehab, rebuilding my confidence in understanding/following instructions and tackling new things. I can quilt!!

I mostly taught myself. But My Mom was always sandwiching fabric with blamkets or whatever she had and tieing them, to try to keep bedding for us 11 kids.

First pieced quilt was rainbow squares for my first grandson, I had a pattern.

I love all my quilts.

I give them away, to family but, have recently decided I need a quilt.

I have a quilt made out of sheets and a flannel batting that I tied when I was in High School 35 years ago, and I am still using it.

I don't belong to a guild, but I am trying to start a for fun quilting club.

I think my mother could be a great quilter but she is still just tieing one piece quilts. This as a passion is new to me, I hope to get some friends and family quilting soon

I quilt because I love color, and colors together in pattrens. Also to keep me interested in life. I had to retire early and quit taking foster kids because of Kidney failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
    There are so many wonderful quilters out there that I thought I'd play "Tell Me About...." I'm sure there are some fascinating quilting stories!
    Good questions!!!!
    Who taught you how to quilt? No one. I came from a family of quilters (Grandmother, Mother, Aunt and then MIL) but hubby was in the military so when I became interested in quilting I learned by doing.

What pattern was the first quilt you made? Can't remember! I know I made several baby quilts but can't recall the pattern.

Do you still have your 1st quilt? No, I don't have any actual quilts I've made. I have wall hangings and small table toppers, but all the large quilts I have done have been given to others.

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why? I admire intricate quilts but don't have the patience to do one. Right now, because I do enjoy doing charity quilts I prefer simple patterns that go together quickly.

What do you do with the quilts you make? Currently I am making 4 quilts (4 double and 1 queen) for my neighbor. I am just finished two Quilts for Kids and am doing charity quilts for my guild.

What is the oldest quilt in your collection? I have a double wedding ring quilt that my mother made before she was married. That would make the quilt 65+ yrs old.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops? Yes, I belong to a local guild. I rarely attend workshops but have been on several quilt retreats and LOVE those!

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair? I have only put one quilt in a show sponsored by our guild - it was not judged - simply viewed by others!

Have you encouraged others to try quilting? Yes, I have a good friend that I have mentored in quilting, as well as one DIL.

Why do you quilt?
    It is my escape mechanism! Love the quiet time and enjoy making things to bring joy to other people! And, quilting does seem to be my therapy! I'm sure therapy would be cheaper!

my grandmother tough me to sew on a treadle, my MIL tought me to quilt

it was just a quilt out of squares. i made each of my kids one with squares that showed their initals

actually i do. the kids left them when they moved out. may give them to them for xmas one year

that is hard to say i have quilt tops that are in storage that i havent seen in years. starting over again until i can get the others out of jail

mostly give away. made one for a family PowWow in honor of my Uncle who sponsered the family dances

my grandmothers quilts that date back to the early 1900's

no

no

fixin to start with my granddaughter

Why do you quilt?makes me feel good

I took a class to learn how to read a pattern and piece. The rest I learned from books or from this website.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-49351-1.htm

No, I gave it to my nephew.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-22333-1.htm

This was made for my mother in law. I love the colors in it.

Give them away.

I dont have any old quilts. Started in 2007 and only a handful completed as of yet since it takes me forever to handquilt.

Would love to try a guild but my schedule would only allow for a few meetings a year. I consider this site my guild.

No. I am not talented enough for that....yet.

Yes, my niece is makig a quilt.

Why do you quilt?

I enjoy it.

Kyia

I took classes from Jean Sheppard and Sandra Dievendorf and no I never entered a contest but I love to hand sew. The quilts we worked on were for the Skagit Gleaners, a self help group to sell to defray costs of operating so we all did the work on them. I live way out in the country and do not drive so all my quilting is out of left over sewing projects from my kids clothes I made. There are no guilds around here that I know of but yes I have my First quilt and the row quilt I am working on. What got me started is the velvet Crazy Quilt that was on my bed for years made by the ladies of my fathers church in Custer So. Dak. I use to sleep under that 40 pound quilt every night. Angeline

My ex SIL taught me (not well) so I took some classes at the LQS, My favorite quilt is the next one, My first was a log cabin, I have made many for gifts. Most of my close friends are quilters so we have a lot of fun together, My favorites are bargello and I will make one someday, I do belong to a guild I quilt because I am addicted to the feel of fabric

My grandmother helped (mostly made) quilts for my children when they were born. I've kept them over the years and pass them along when their first child is born.

Who taught you how to quilt? I am self taught

What pattern was the first quilt you made? It was a star

Do you still have your 1st quilt? No

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why? My favorite is a basket quilt that I made a long time ago.

What do you do with the quilts you make? Keep some give others as gifts.

What is the oldest quilt in your collection? A piece of my GGM quilt made in the early 1900's

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops? I belong to the Parker Piece Keepers and I attend as many workshops that I can.

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair? Not yet.

Have you encouraged others to try quilting? Every chance I get!

Why do you quilt? Because I love it, I love everything about it (except sandwiching). I can be creative and I love to fondle fabric.

HELLO EVERYONE. MY NAME IS LINDA, AND I'M A FABRIC FONDLER.

Junior Member Miss Purple Shoes's Avatar
    I was taught to quilt by a teacher at secondary school. She is sadly no longer with us. She was an inspiration.
    I made up the pattern as it was for an exam. It was sent away to be marked and never returned to me.
    I made a Buggy Barn If the Hat Fits which I love to bits.
    I find it really difficult to give my quilts away so I have loads aroung the house. If I am going to make one for someone else I have to tell myself right from the start that it is for someone else. Does that make sense?
    The oldest quilt I have is one made in 1990.
    I don't currently belong to any groups or attend workshops as we have just moved.
    I have never shown my quilts in a show. I don't think that I am good enough.
    I have enouraged others to quilt by running classes and teaching as much as I can. When I worked in a school I enouraged children to quilt.
    I quilt to keep myself sane and to escape from the stresses of everyday life

Interesting thread!

Who taught you how to quilt? Taught myself through reading the patterns and books.

What pattern was the first quilt you made? Rail fence lap quilts for my children.

Do you still have your 1st quilt? No, it's at my daughter's house.

Which of your quilts is your favorite and why? I'd have to say that my favorite is always the one I am working on at any given time.

What do you do with the quilts you make? Give them to my family. The first year I got back into quilting I made 20 quilted pieces. All Christmas presents for my sisters, mom, kids, and grandkids.

What is the oldest quilt in your collection?That's only about 8 years old and is one I made.

Do you belong to a guild, or attend workshops? Yes, I belong to a guild and it's quite large and very active.

Have you ever entered a quilt in a quilt-show or fair? No

Have you encouraged others to try quilting? Maybe not encouraged them to start but to get back into it after a long time away from quilting. One lady said it's hard to make friends into quilters but easier to make friends with quilters. So right.

Why do you quilt? It fills a spot in me that is comfortable with the cutting, piecing and quilting. I even enjoy sewing binding on a finished quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
    There are so many wonderful quilters out there that I thought I'd play "Tell Me About...." I'm sure there are some fascinating quilting stories!

Several different people, and I think I am still learning all the time.

I made a Jacob's Ladder block and hand quilted it. Added a star and turned them into a tote bag. Which I still have.

Always the one I am working on or planning. Some have special memories and many are special, but the favorite changes.

A lot of what I make are class samples, some shop samples. Many have been given as gifts. I also have several here.

I have a couple of Civil War era quilts. One made by my great-great-great(?)-grandmother when she was a girl (Probably made in Kentucky). One made by one of my husbands ancestors, but he isn't sure who. (The appraiser dated it to probably just before the CW, and it probably was a bridal quilt. Made in Georgia.)

You betcha!!!!!

Yep

Every chance I get. That is one reason I teach quilt classes.

Why do you quilt?

Because I have to work with fabric. I also make clothing and more.
    Pati, in Phx

Who taught me to quilt?
    I took a couple of classes at a local quilt shop

What pattern was my first?
    The Yellowbrick Road

Do I still have my first quilt?
    No. I gave it to my mom for a birthday present, so it's not to far from me

Which quilt is my favorite?
    I've only made a few, but each one is my favorite for one reason or another

What do I do with the quilts I make?
    I usually keep them or give them as presents

What is the oldest in my collection?
    My dad won a quilt back in 1991 at a community reunion that was hand quilted by 5 ladies (all deceased now) and he just gave it to me. I knew all the ladies that worked on it. Very pretty quilt.

Do I belong to a guild or attend workshops?
    No. There are no guild's close to me. I do attend classes from time to time.

Have I ever entered a quilt in a show or fair?
    No. Not that good yet.

Have I encouraged other to quilt?
    Yes. I'm always telling people how much fun it is and how they should try it.

Why do I quilt?
    I'm addicted. I love it and can't stop.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast