Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: I hope she will help a child with cancer

They are so cute.

Blog Entries
    Thanks again to all of you for your warm caring responses. It helps to have that support from all of you out there. I am fixing to post the last 9 dolls of the total 67 I have finished. I will deliver them to the lady who is in charge of the local american cancer society, after church tomorrow. I have also sent the doll number 67 just finished to make the 67 total. One on the top left and the top was made and face painted by a 93 year old. There is a doll in a pink plaid dress that lady did most of to help out the kids. I hope you like them all. Thanks again. I am takin a month break, baring the need to make another during that break.

Vickey Stamps

doll dress with apron for doll 67
    Name:  Attachment-254635.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  37.8 KB

inside of doll67....nightgown part
    Name:  Attachment-254640.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  35.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hun if there is anything I can with please let me no.I love
    making dolls.
    Hugs,
    Deb

I am sitting here in tears reading what you wrote and looking at you holding your doll. I can literally see your heart in your work, and face. May God richly bless you and your work for those kids!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dcolantonio1
    Hun if there is anything I can with please let me no.I love
    making dolls.
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Thanks Deb. Let me know when you are feeling better and I will send you the patterns for the doll body (girl/and-or/boy) and the clothing for the girl. I started buying hooded jackets and shirt, size 12 months for the boys and cutting down size 2 year pants for their bottoms, instead of trying to sew for the. I put sock caps on their heads. Big hugs

your friend,
    Vickey
    here is something I wrote about the dolls belowDOLLS IN THE ATTIC
    © Vickey Stamps 7/19/11
    There, in the attic of the mind, sat fabrics of skin colors, all waiting to become dolls, all waiting to be allowed into the life known by humans. They knew they had been stored there for a very real and special purpose. Around them in the attic of the mind, and because of a light from a window, they were able to watch it shine upon bolts of colored fabrics and those of white. Beside the fabric, sat lacy trims and rolls of ribbons in bright colors. Now the dolls of a nature either male or female, joined hands in numbers of twos and threes, jumped up and forward, almost dancing to the fabric.
    “I’d like a pair of blue jeans” spoke one of the boy dolls, “and perhaps a checkered skirt. That will make me quite handsome. We already know that those who have gone before us are of two faces. One will wear a smile and the other a look of sleepiness.” The girls ignored the boys each of them gathering around the pinks and blues, the yellows, light greens and darks with lighter pretty patterns upon their surface. In their unborn doll minds, they let their hands wander through the laces and tried the ribbons about their waistlines. “I’ll have an apron of this” spoke one as she put a bit of soft pink and white polka-dot material beside her cheek. Surely that will bring me a hug from the child I will go to live with.”
    “Look” called out one of the boys who’d been wandering about among the sweat suit fabrics, jumping from one color to another. “I’ll take this nice gray one. Perhaps there will be an appliqué of some sort to put upon the front of it that my child will like!” From another pile came yet another voice of a potential boy doll. “I’m a country critter” he announced for all who would listen” I’ll take that bit of plaid flannel and some of that other stuff that looks like denim. I will wear overalls with a nice bib, and have pockets upon it and on my legs Maybe I’ll go to a child who has a toy tractor, and can sit upon it once in awhile.” The potential doll flopped down beside the blue jean fabric to think about it.
    And so the conversations went on, as they stood around the fabric. All of a sudden, they heard footsteps nearly to the door, and quickly scampered back to where they had been before, making it a point to leave the fabric as it had been. Now the doll maker opened the door, stepping inside the attic.
    “Funny” thought the doll maker, but I had this sudden need to go through all this cloth in the attic of the mind. There are children out there in need of a doll to comfort them, children who are ill or suffering in their mind for various reasons... I will make a design and sew many dolls for them. I think I shall say a prayer over the material that it will find just the right arms to hold it close and love it, when it becomes a doll. Having said so, she asked for blessings for all that would become of the fabric, that each would find the right home and right child, to work the wonders needed for each one. She prayed that the dolls would be good listeners, when its owner needed that and a giver of at least imaginary warmth when that was needed. She ended with the usual Amen, leaving it all in the Lords control, that all would go well. The Lord had already made her aware that….
    LIFE WAS GOOD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoKevin
    I am sitting here in tears reading what you wrote and looking at you holding your doll. I can literally see your heart in your work, and face. May God richly bless you and your work for those kids!
    Thanks. I have my share of health issues, but remain better off than many others, so hope to continue the dolls till I draw my last breath. Thanks for your kindness in the reply. HUGS and God bless you and yours.

Vickey Stamps

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoKevin
    Thanks. I have my share of health issues, but remain better off than many others, so hope to continue the dolls till I draw my last breath. Thanks for your kindness in the reply. HUGS and God bless you and yours.

Vickey Stamps

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theifner
    Can I have your pattern. I am a cancer survivor and would love to do this for a little girl.
    just checking back to see if I remembered to send you my pattern. Let me know if that was not the case. I get busy and get forgetful sometimes.

thanks

Vickey Stamps

Blog Entries
    Please PM me with your address. I have plenty of goodies for you to use and would love to send them to you. Great work you are doing.

Vickey, the dolls are absolutely lovely with their cheerful faces and dresses. And what makes them so very special is you, because you put so much thought and love into the making of each one. Each child that receives one is getting a real treasure that will surely bring them much comfort and joy. May God bless you abundantly!!

Kudos to you. I am so blessed that my children and grandchildren are healty. Thank you for what you are doing and for sharing with us.

God bless you and your needle. Prayers for your "children".

Oh my goodness, these bring back a very great memory for me. As a child living in NC, new neighbors moved in beside us. They had 3 girls and we quickly became friends. Their Mom helped the younger two and myself make a doll kinda like these. We also made them some clothes. This was the start of my sewing. They moved back to Scio, Oregon after a couple of years and we lost touch. I would LOVE to tell them that I still have that doll. Sorry for the hijack but you brought back such good memories. I may have to make some of these when I get some UFO's done. thanks again for all of your wonderful work!

Hi Vickey - This is a wonderful mission you have - the dolls are delightful and such a noble cause. In one of the posts, you mentioned attending church. I was wondering if the members of your church would be willing to help you with some of the cutting out and/or stuffing? You mentioned those parts were not your favorite. Actually, many churches have some form of community service groups - perhaps you could get a group started to help you with your work.

I have some materials for you to use, if you care to pm me your info. I would be happy to do some cutting parts for you, then ship them to you too. I'm no great seamstress, but I do a good job of cutting and some basic stitching.

Those are great and it is a wonderful thing that you do.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful dolls and so are you. I am also a nurse, Thanks for all you do for others. God bless.

Junior Member east side quilter's Avatar

GOD Bless you.Hope you enjoy your retirement.

Hope you enjoy your retierment

You are going to make some little girl very happy. May you have many blessing for your work.

Very cute doll, you are very sweet to make them.

Keep up the good work, my sister is a breast cancer survivor. Thank you so much!

You are my hero. God Bless you!!!!!
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

Blog Entries

re: cutting out dolls

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCat View Post
    Hi Vickey - This is a wonderful mission you have - the dolls are delightful and such a noble cause. In one of the posts, you mentioned attending church. I was wondering if the members of your church would be willing to help you with some of the cutting out and/or stuffing? You mentioned those parts were not your favorite. Actually, many churches have some form of community service groups - perhaps you could get a group started to help you with your work.

I have some materials for you to use, if you care to pm me your info. I would be happy to do some cutting parts for you, then ship them to you too. I'm no great seamstress, but I do a good job of cutting and some basic stitching.
    getting old and hadn't noticed this posting. I can always use doll bodies when someone is up to cutting them out. I use fabrics of different cultures in an effort to please, but the lady from the local cancer place said the 'kids don't care" and i say "Good for the kids". I'd be happy to send you a boy and girl doll body pattern, if you are sure you have time to do that, and if there is fabric you can spare. I can't afford to mail fabric as all my work is free and I am dependant on others to help me get it done. Just PM me please, if you are interested, and I am sorry for the delay.

My church is small, and they know I do this, and only one has ever offered to help and that was with some postage once and some fabric from 3 ladies
    . I also teach a knit and crochet class for the church once a week that is very basic. Thanks for your reply.
    Vickey Stamps
    Last edited by wordpaintervs; 12-05-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Vickey,
    I think you and what you do are wonderful. Having had cancer twice, I think this would help any child feel they are not alone.
    Jojos Nana, Carol

What a wonderful idea. Sooo good!

Blog Entries
    I wanted to post 3 I just got done today. I used 3 different skin tones and have to say I am dissappointed with the face of the darkest skinned doll. I had two shades of brown for her eyes and used the lighter, but they don't show worth a darn, and that is such a shame. I think I'm going to try to find one a couple shades lighter, but in my little town that may not be possible. We'll see. I'll just remove the eyes she has on the regular dress side. I think the nightgown side is okay as it only shows her sleepy look. I'll repost when she is fixed as the dolls are otherwise, pretty in my opinion. The eyes just don't look right on that one. Sending anyway, and hope to get 3 boys done in the next week and a half, to go with the girls and send to the American Cancer Society.

I can't figure out how to do pictures on this new forum. I got pictures of dressy part of dolls and nightgown part but see no place to add pictures now.

Sorry, but at least you guys following this will know I made 3 more dolls for giving to the ACS.

Vickey Stamps (AKA wordpaintervs)
    Last edited by wordpaintervs; 01-10-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: can't add the pictures on the new forum

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast