Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Road Runners Round Robin 2013/2014 >

Road Runners Round Robin 2013/2014

Road Runners Round Robin 2013/2014

Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 AM

a happy scrappy quilt Sandy? love the cat idea just saw a really cool one on line she did a black and white checkered thing then appliqued a walking cat on the top and one coming from another angle on the bottom.. really liked that one might just have to try it myself

I had a good visit with Alex and cried when he left. I sure hate crying it is something I try hard not to do for some reason. We went to the brewery for lunch only to discover they don't make beer yet. big old vats all shiny for decoration I guess. so he had a bottled beer some awful stout thing and liked it just fine. I am so happy he went out and spent the day with Steve,, shooting, fishing and he was so happy to go do it mens town I think.

I am now going to finish Jabas rounds. I have 9 more blocks to sew together then I can sew the rows together and tada! I stopped yesterday to work on a quick other project I needed to finish so today its all your quilt Jan. I think it should come out rather nice all in all. praying it does anyways

what are all of you up to? I hope your not going to go crazy over thanksgiving cooking and cleaning. the cleaning part always bums me out lol. I am making a turkey breast and stuffing, sweet potatoes , green beans and mashed taters..figure I can make half of the stuff the day before. Its a clinic day for me (no rest for the sick) and figure I will be plum tired. I am having a man from the clinic over for dinner. He didn't have anywhere to go so I couldn't let that go. I am sure we will have an enjoyable dinner. Then I can nap which if you know me, is a high priority on my clinic days..

Sandy can you post for us the things you can make with scraps that you mentioned. You said you gave a talk on using scraps.. now curiosity has poked its ugly head out. especially those little tiny scraps..
Old 11-25-2013, 08:42 PM

Hi all, We have been putting up Christmas lights on house. Got the front done today and will do the spruce tree in back tomorrow while sun is shining back there (just for a couple hours). I will give you a synopsis of my 'Scrappy' talk but will take some pictures to go along with it and then perhaps just post a new topic here on the board for it. And yes, Brat, I have an idea to use even those tiniest little 1/64th or so trimmings that come off when one squares up a block. Otherwise, just waiting for sewing machine to get repaired. Turkey day for us will be quiet with one cornish hen, a little bit of stuffing with 2 pieces of bread and usual stuff to make it, mashed taters, gravy, some kind of veggie, (probably frozen peas) cranberry sauce from a can (I love that stuff but it is sure getting expensive anymore) and a tiny pumpkin pie I have had in freezer for a month or more just waiting. Just us two and that is fine with me. I have done put in my time making big dinners for 20 plus people over the years. The cat quilt won't be scrappy. Will have to take pictures of what inspired me but hate to get ahead of myself because if I can't make it all work, I am going to feel like a fool so once I get it going and if it is going well, I will share my progress. Wish all of you a wonderful time with friends and family this Thursday. Enjoy your nap Brat! :-)
Old 11-25-2013, 09:44 PM

We will be spending the Thanksgiving holiday with my MIL. She is a sweetheart and loves to have us all. DH was ill last yr, so we had to stay home so, looking forward to this year. Best part is that all I have to make is Cranberry sauce and bring the stuff to make a breakfast for us all. Glad to be able to do my part to help my MIL in some way, she is a very young 82, but I still feel like it is too much work for her to do.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:13 AM

I love fresh cranberries my daughter gave me a recipe a few years ago with fresh berries, tangerine zest, juice and sugar its not cooked. Its fresh sweet/slightly tart absolutely marvelous with turkey and later on a sandwich. I made it a year ago, our friends came by had dinner the next night loved it. they went home on Sat. asked could he take some cranberries with him ? I say yes, he took all the cranberries with him. I thought compliment or theft? lol I missed those berries. I am bummed its a dialysis day but get you don't get to skip this stuff.. sigh. wish it was thanksgiving FRIDay lol..

ok tlambing every single time I look at your photo I think .. she is JUST A KID. go ahead tell us what is your super young secret besides the fact your super young? such a pretty girl you are
Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 AM

Sandy been working on your border, made a strip of diamonds and didn't like it so started over. Think this one looks better. Hope I can get downstairs today after physical therapy and lay it out so I can really see it. I'm so use to my big cutting table (5' x 9') I'm lost putting something together without it. I'm going with the darker red like brat's round to tie that one in with the lighter reds and white. Just have to make sure the corners are going to line up right before I sew them all together.
Bill's kids will be here on Thanksgiving but hubby is cooking the majority of it, not quite up to that yet. 6 more people is all so that's not too bad. Told him I'd do the pies for him.....he doesn't know that either Marie Callander or Sara Lee will be helping immensely
Old 11-26-2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
I love fresh cranberries my daughter gave me a recipe a few years ago with fresh berries, tangerine zest, juice and sugar its not cooked. Its fresh sweet/slightly tart absolutely marvelous with turkey and later on a sandwich. I made it a year ago, our friends came by had dinner the next night loved it. they went home on Sat. asked could he take some cranberries with him ? I say yes, he took all the cranberries with him. I thought compliment or theft? lol I missed those berries. I am bummed its a dialysis day but get you don't get to skip this stuff.. sigh. wish it was thanksgiving FRIDay lol..

ok tlambing every single time I look at your photo I think .. she is JUST A KID. go ahead tell us what is your super young secret besides the fact your super young? such a pretty girl you are

You're good for my ego Brat! I'll be 48 in a couple of weeks. That just happens to be a good pic, except I look surprised And you have to remember, I was all spruced up for a party. Most days I'm frumpy, in a sweatshirt, jeans and tennis shoes and NO makeup, with plaster dust strewn about my physic. Blooms wilting a bit huh? Just don't want you to think this is the "real" me.

Cranberries are almost the easiest thanksgiving food to make for the biggest payoff. No cans here, although I do love the jellied stuff too. Berries, sugar, orange juice and zest and a splish splash of wine. Yum yum. Happy turkey day everyone.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:17 PM

Gees Teresa, I wear a sweatshirt practically ever day, much warmer for me. Got to the basement today after physical therapy, it's better...yahoo. Sandy got your borders done and I mailed to Miriam today. After she's done it comes home to you. Here's my round for you, hope it's okay.[ATTACH=CONFIG]448857[/ATTACH]Looks really dark on this pic, but it blends well with brat's round. Also sent on the fabric that Teresa sent to me and figured maybe it could be used on the last round of the quilt, if not Miriam can send it on to you.
Attached Thumbnails dscf1700.jpg  

Last edited by jaba; 11-26-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:47 PM

Jan, thanks so much. I am going to treasure this and think of each one of you special ladies when I see it on my bed....sometime by end of next year. Sure glad you are feeling better Jan and Brat, I am glad that you have to make a clinic trip...way better than you not being here at all. As to cranberry sauce, much as I love the canned stuff (especially with a glass of milk) I do love the fresh best. My mom always made it with a package of cranberries, a whole orange and a cup of sugar and she ran the cranberries and the oranges (quartered) through one of those grinders that you clamped on the table. I could eat this every day but alas neither DH or any of my kids ever liked it. :-( Looking forward to seeing what the rest of you all come up with.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:17 PM

that is looking good I see a dark more solid round coming next to tie it all together nicely. I see a white quilt and I want to run! my dh is a piglet in the making I am sure of it. he finger prints things faster than any kid I know. like have you seen a NAPKIN lately? sure he believes they are for decorating and well table cloths, jeans, shirts well those are for wiping your dirty fingers on them. play with your fish eggs? sure then go lay down for a nap but don't wash your hands first.. yuck!! so your quilt will be marvelous.. just not one I could ever wish for

I put mine in the food processor Sandy similar to what your mom made. My favorite. no jellies for me blick!! lol I made my wonderful sweet potato bake, my smashed parsley taters, pumpkin bread pudding with cream anglese and spell check lol, cooked corn with butter, vanilla cheesecake with cherries on top, and well diced up the onions celery for stuffing tomorrow .. thinking I will be dead tired after clinic so I had best do it all now.. oh yes making a pot of beef chuck roast in teriyaki, garlic and ginger .. for a sandwich for dinner later tonight. other than that I cleaned the kitchen and livingroom and set the table. bored city. (super woman right? ha ha dead to the bone).
Old 11-27-2013, 06:06 PM

Happy Thanksgiving all! Back went out again today, pretty sort lived. Thank heavens hubby said he would cook
tomorrow. Wish they drs., could figure this out, I would be forever grateful.