Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 AM

I was sewing on my GF's Pfaff treadle at retreat, and noticed it was a bit "clunky". I cleaned and oiled, and when I pulled off the faceplate, found 10 pfennig. My guess is that had been in there a LONG time!!

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Look what I found on Craigslist in Dallas. She asked $50, but when I talked to her, she said she would take $40 because it wasn't a machine you could really sew on. These are before pictures. She needs a good oiling, but I don't think she will need a full kerosene spa treatment.
If this Dallas 100 + degree weather ever goes away, I'll be cleaning machines for weeks.

Texas Jan :-D
Texas Jan that Lotus is going to be a knockout when she is spit shined!

Nancy
Thanks!! I did a spa treatment on her EARLY this morning before it gets to 106 later on. I knew she would clean quickly, but goodness what a lot of gunk came out of the hidden places. Someone so nicely put straight pins down in the arm end. I found them when I took off the face plate. After I cleaned up the oiling places, I found a couple more pins wedged in one of the oiling holes. Really, people what are you thinking??? Or was it unwatched kids??
She will have to air out for a day before I start putting her back together again.

Texas Jan
I bought a Singer 301 that had about a dozen or more straight pins stuck in all the oil holes, so glad I didn't sew with it until I
gave it the spa treatment. :roll:
Sharon W. in central Texas
My goodness!!! That would have ruined it for sure !!

Texas Jan
That just sounds like something a 2 year old might do... I bet he had the time of his life...
I opened the face plate of one of my acquisitions and found drill bits! For heaven's sake! Why would someone do that?? They had to take the plate off in order to put them in. Mischevious, whoever did it!!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:43 AM

Nope, I appear to be a purposeless hoarder.
I think we all have a sense that something big is being lost forever and we are merely the curators doing our best to preserve - THAT is a far cry from being some purposeless hoarder.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:43 AM

What needle are you using?
Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by quilt addict
You all will be proud of me. The grub screw holes in my Singer 319 somehow stripped out when I removed the screws to take the machine out of the table I refinished. I bought a new thread tapping die at Lowes and made new threads in the holes and bought matching screws....not original of course, but it's in the table and works. Woohoo! I was kind of sweating this one and was worried I'd really mess it up. I gave my 319 a kerosene bath today which cleaned it up some what.
Good for you Candance! Have you posted pictures yet?
Of the machine and refinished table, but not together. I tried sewing on the 319 and the bobbin thread won't pick up which is scaring me that it needs a timing adjustment:<
Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 AM

BTW, I have come across many, many, MANY sewing machines in the past 20 years, and the only ones out of time have been modern plastic junk.
Of the machine and refinished table, but not together. I tried sewing on the 319 and the bobbin thread won't pick up which is scaring me that it needs a timing adjustment:<
Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 AM

Where were all of you when I was trying to sell my 185? I had to list it forever to just get $30 out of it--in a table with attachments, book, etc. Not many vintage machine lovers around here.
Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by wesing
Don't ask me why, but I have been admiring the little Singer 185 for a while now. I found one on CL and after a long drive today I now own one in very good condition. The case is a bit scruffy, but I can live with that. Darren
You will like this lttle one. The base seems to be in pretty good condition, which is rare for these machines.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Sometimes these have been retimed to use 15 X 1 needles. It's not recommended by those who really know the old machines, but dealers will still do it sometimes. Try (carefully) one and see if it works.
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by quilt addict
You all will be proud of me. The grub screw holes in my Singer 319 somehow stripped out when I removed the screws to take the machine out of the table I refinished. I bought a new thread tapping die at Lowes and made new threads in the holes and bought matching screws....not original of course, but it's in the table and works. Woohoo! I was kind of sweating this one and was worried I'd really mess it up. I gave my 319 a kerosene bath today which cleaned it up some what.
Good for you Candance! Have you posted pictures yet?
You do have the right needle? 206x13 is the number I think.

Yes, the right needle, but the bobbin thread isn't picking up. I don't know when I'll have time to mess with it. I start night class tonight and I've been messing with this machine and my 301 for over a week to get them running!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 AM

This is good. I have been sewing for 50+ years, and every so often, I will still put in a needle backwards, thread it the wrong way, put a bobbin in backwards, etc. Just remember the old adage: "Keep it simple, stupid!" (Not calling anyone else stupid, btw, this just works for me.)
Vintage sewing machine not stitching - very generic tutorial

Does it need a new needle?. . . .
Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 AM

Half case Wheeler and Wilson; probably a 4 or 5. I have one in my basement. . . .
Originally Posted by jljack
So here's a really interesting looking machine on CL at the California coast. Can't tell what it is from the pictures, but looks VERY InTeresting!! The top folds back to make a shelf? Can't really tell. But I can tell from the treadle that it's OLD!!

http://slo.craigslist.org/atq/2552187797.html

What do you think?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
BTW, I have come across many, many, MANY sewing machines in the past 20 years, and the only ones out of time have been modern plastic junk.
I bought a 411G that someone bent the needle shaft by sewing something very heavy - I had to replace the shaft and then time it. I had an old metal Viking was out of timing because somebody buggared with it's shuttle. They DO come that way... I bet they get scrapped sooner than you find them at a yard sale or on CL though.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM

I just got a White #755 serial # 59334C. Now I need a BD, manual, bobbin case, and belt.
Where do I go Billy, or anyone?
thanks,
Phyllis nm