Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-13-2011, 02:40 PM

[quote=PJisChaos]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Ok, here is what I got so far on it. The brown fabric is the 1" inner border, then the colored squares with the spool block for the corners make the outer border. Then brown again for binding. It still needs the spool ends appliqued on to the thread spools along with the thread & needle embroidered on each machine.
This was made with a FQ bundle I just *had to buy* because it was on sale for $4, even though it's kind of an ugly pack IMHO.

Like I said, it was all made on my "new" treadle as a learn-how-she-works kinda thing. So, it fits in this thread.. right ;-)

**Here's a tip for anyone it may help**
I also found a solution to more of the bobbin winding problems I was having. The make-shift boot string belt just wasn't thick enough to grab the teeth to wind it properly. So, off to the Wal~Mart for aquarium hose I went and then hopped over to Lowe's for a dowel rod.
This worked wonders, let me tell all ya'll. Now couple that with the great video link and I am all set.

I just love this place and all the great people here. :thumbup:
Cute! That would look very nice in a sewing room with a couple of vintage machines on bookcase as well as a couple of treadles. Thanks for posting. I'm always looking for ideas and love to see what others have done.

Interesting substitute for the treadle belt. I read somewhere of a person that uses aquarium hose for their treadle belts.
So, how well does it work?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:46 PM

I guess I'm scratching my head over the concept of not dropping the feeds or somehow inactivating them. If you FMQ, the fabric is hand guided around in all sorts of directions. That's really hard to do if the feed dogs are tugging on the fabric at the same time. Maybe I read the post wrong? Even when I'm darning on my Janome 4000 (gasp... the 15 year old machine- a newbie!), I drop the dogs. Otherwise, I cannot darn worth a darn. <grin>[/quote]

I had a person tell me to just place and tape a business card over the feed dogs for FMQ, Kathie
Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
wow Jan! I can't believe you got that rusted Eldridge working! Happy dance with you! A great work in progress. I wonder, now that we've seen your efforts succeed.... I wonder if those old singers tossed outside of the thrift store (back two pages or so) would be save-able? Might could be!
If this little rust bucket can crank again, then there is hope for almost anything. She's a long way from sewing, but I'm happy with her cranking for today.

Jan
Old 05-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Crossstitcher yes the cabinet came with it. sorry so late in answering been off line with family issues........

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Originally Posted by alissa
Here is a 1951 Singer 301 that I purchased at an estate sale for $35, it has the manuels and attachments plus a student fabric kit. It runs great just had to oil it and away it went. The wiring was in great shape. The lady said that her grandmother could not get around very good any more so they where selling it.
Really nice machine did the cabinet come with it? You got a great deal. DH and I are going to an estate auction this weekend hope we can come away with a deal like that.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Hi Billy thanks I will get a better photo of the student fabric kit as soon as I can. Lots of crap going on here rigth now.. I did not even know she had all that stuff with it untill I got home and opened the sack that she gave me. There is a little ruler that has a calender on it from 1962, so cool. Will put up pictures in a few days

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by alissa
Here is a 1951 Singer 301 that I purchased at an estate sale for $35, it has the manuels and attachments plus a student fabric kit. It runs great just had to oil it and away it went. The wiring was in great shape. The lady said that her grandmother could not get around very good any more so they where selling it.
Alissa that machine is gorgeous!!! I would love to see the student fabric kit a little better. That is the first one I have seen and from what I can tell it was loaded for bear!! Do you think that the former owners left anything back at the dealer after they bought it? I think it is just about fully optioned as one can get. ;)

Billy
Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
My Singer 66-16 has the drop in bobbin. The machine guy says in order to do FMQ, the feed dogs have to be removed. Apparently, they just unscrew and pop out. I certainly haven't tried it yet. I know a 15-91 would probably be better to FMQ with. Is FMQ impossible with the horizontal drop in bobbin vs. the vertical one?
Oh... I'm sorry, Marie. Another thing. There's a feed dog cover plate that you can put on top of the feed dogs on a 16. You can find covers with the button hole attachments or the darners. I would think you might could use those too?

Glenn? Everyone? Is that true and can be done? I'm not sure if the fabrics would 'snag' on the cover's edges?

I just went and checked my 66 buttonholer and attachments. The button holer's feed cover is long and rectangular - screws into the bed. So I bet the SCREW used to attach the cover to the bed of the machine gets in the way. Right? Bummer.
If you release all the tension on the presure foot so the fabric moves freely you can free motion quilt. And yes there is an embroidery cover that can be put on over the feed dogs and you can free motion quilt all daylong. It covers the feed dogs. This cover is available for the 66's and is universal (don't need to worry about the side or back clamp. I free motion quilt all the time on my 66. Glenn
Old 05-13-2011, 03:22 PM

I have never taken out my feed dogs to free motion quilt. I just release all the pressure off the foot. Billy also quilts this way you should ask him also. I also have the cover (Embroidery cover) and I use it many times. Glenn
Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Jan in Texas here, doing the Happy Dance. My little broken base hand crank is now freewheeling !!! She purrs like a kitten!! Still have some screws to get loose, but her ID number is 1531103. Her shuttle says "Eldredge" on her, so she is either Eldredge or National. Does anyone have info on these numbers??? Tomorrow the kerosene bath. Maybe more screws will loosen after that.
I am so glad you are free wheeling now, keep on going and you will have a nice machine. Glenn
Old 05-13-2011, 03:31 PM

Now for a serious note. I just finished all the threads I missed during the storm and power outage for a week. I am humbled by all you members asking about us here in Huntsville AL I just want to thank you for your concern. Yes Billy is right we have become one happy family here. I thank you agian. I also remember a thread where a daughter called her mother and said Moores Mill was hit hard and that I was not far from there. Well we are apart of the Moores Mill Community and we were hit hard but I only lost some trees and no damage to the house. I wish I could fine that thread again my wife and I would love to meet people associated with this board. Please fell free to PM me if you want to make contact with us, this goes for anyone with family in this area. Thank you again for thinking of us. Glenn
Old 05-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Cute! That would look very nice in a sewing room with a couple of vintage machines on bookcase as well as a couple of treadles. Thanks for posting. I'm always looking for ideas and love to see what others have done.

Interesting substitute for the treadle belt. I read somewhere of a person that uses aquarium hose for their treadle belts.
So, how well does it work?
Overall, the hose works very well. There are a few "operator errors" that do cause it to slip out of the handwheel groove(going backwards seems to be a no-no) but, I ain't complaining as it only cost me just over $2 for this fix. Just slip it back in and off I go, hopefully forward. :wink: