Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1270 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 270 770 1170 1220 1260 1269 1270 1271 1280 1320 1370 1770 ... LastLast
Results 31,726 to 31,750 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaQuilts View Post
    I just obtained a Singer 201. Ordered thread spindles. They don't fit and fall over. They are slightly pointed on the end that goes in the machine. I looked to see if they should be threaded. Thought you would know if they should be threaded or not. I can have them threaded, but can't tell if the machine is threaded to receive them. That seems to be all the machine needs. This is really a quiet machine. So far, I like it a lot. It is a 1935 and clean.
    DonnaQuilts
    Are the pins you bought nylon? If so you need to tap them in just a bit.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    If I remember right, it should just go in the center hole on the top. I also have a Singer 201, circa 1936.
    Donna, Sharon is correct that the pin goes in the center hole. You are going to love that machine!! Singer 201 is my quietest machine and moves so smoothly.

Donna,
    These spoolpins are officially called "drive in" for a reason.
    You have to drive them in by tapping them in with a hammer.
    Sometimes it takes some force.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaQuilts View Post
    I just obtained a Singer 201. Ordered thread spindles. They don't fit and fall over. They are slightly pointed on the end that goes in the machine. I looked to see if they should be threaded. Thought you would know if they should be threaded or not. I can have them threaded, but can't tell if the machine is threaded to receive them. That seems to be all the machine needs. This is really a quiet machine. So far, I like it a lot. It is a 1935 and clean.
    DonnaQuilts

Help!

Yesterday I reassembled my HOTHER machines case bottom. I thought it was right until today when I tested it with a machine nearby. Some how the center piece of the box shifted and now the machine will not fit. It is glued on both ends, the corner supports and all across the bottom. Fresh wood to freshly sanded old wood and using Elmer's Carpenter glue.
    It sat from about 9:00PM ish last night till about 1:30 this afternoon clamped together.

HOW in the world do I break this bond so I can reposition that part?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Donna,
    These spoolpins are officially called "drive in" for a reason.
    You have to drive them in by tapping them in with a hammer.
    Sometimes it takes some force.

Cathy
    I had to replace the spool pin in my SEWMOR and it is a tap in. I hate really beating on these pins so at first I just tapped it in. Couple days later it fell out. Grrrrrrrr...

I tapped it back in a little harder.
    It fell out again. GRRRRRRRR

Then I stuck it in my drill and using a file I altered the rather steep taper on the end to a slightly less steep taper and drove it back in.

So far, so good.

Sometimes you gotta outsmart these things, or get a bigger hammer ........

Joe

Blog Entries
    Interesting info via Needlebar about my 115...I asked about the serial number and it being listed as a Dec. 20, 1911 commission model 27, because, quite frankly, it bothered me!

I got this information from Chrys, who is a super whiz regarding all things "sewing machine"!!

"As Carol pointed out the Singer charts have some errors. The charts also have some changes from the first time they posted them. The models that say St. Jean were shipped there for final assembly. The heads were cast at Elizabethport. They did that because St. Jean was behind on production.

So it looks like your 115 on December 1911 is the earliest serial number I have come across. You have to keep in mind that when a company like Singer introduces a new model, they could have easily spent a year developing it. So it is likely that small batches can turn up before the actual start of large production numbers."

I had just assumed that there was some kind of serial number error and that my 115 was made with the first run of 115-1 machines that have a date of March 1912... someday I'll learn not to assume when it comes to sewing machines!! Still *SO* much to learn!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Help!

Yesterday I reassembled my HOTHER machines case bottom. I thought it was right until today when I tested it with a machine nearby. Some how the center piece of the box shifted and now the machine will not fit. It is glued on both ends, the corner supports and all across the bottom. Fresh wood to freshly sanded old wood and using Elmer's Carpenter glue.
    It sat from about 9:00PM ish last night till about 1:30 this afternoon clamped together.

HOW in the world do I break this bond so I can reposition that part?

Joe
    Joe. Very carefully I am afraid. You will need a thin sharp flat blade(strong) to wedge inbetween to tap the parts apart loose. There will be some splentering but the sooner you separate them the better. Sand all the glue you can get off the parts and start over. If you can get a corner loose get some acetone in there to help the process along. Good luck!
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Guess I better get off this computer and get to it then.

I'll let you know .....

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    ... someday I'll learn not to assume when it comes to sewing machines!! Still *SO* much to learn!!
    I've seen the 90 year old sewing machine repair man stumped a time or two but he usually pulls a trick out of the hat somewhere. It all takes time - clean up, repairs, the dates, machine models and so on - just so much to learn - I love learning it - I have the rest of my life to learn it! I think the cool thing is the internet - now you can look it all up on google - used to be trial and error - LOTS of errors and very little info. I'm learning more where to look than anything. AND there are a few old sewing machine repair men out there willing to share what they know so that it doesn't just die with them. I wish they all would share what they know.

Blog Entries
    Charlee, what is the difference between a 115 and a 15?

mirium,

Trades used to be passed down from father to son or sometimes daughter. That way knowledge was accumulated and passed on.

Now that doesn't happen. It's soooo sad when sewing machine repair men, watch makers, gun smiths, and other tradesmen die and they've not left all that knowledge to anyone.

I'm learning too. I don't plan on quitting till the day I die. Sadly, I have no one to leave my knowledge too. And that breaks my heart.

Glenn,

Got it apart. I lucked out in two ways. First the Elmer's Carpenter glue had not fully solidified and second I hadn't sanded the old wood as good as I thought. Much of the old glue was still there and the Elmer's stuck to that instead of the wood.
    Minimal damage. Was sanding it to the real wood this time when my wife came home with food. Will get back to it later.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    mirium,

Trades used to be passed down from father to son or sometimes daughter. That way knowledge was accumulated and passed on.

Now that doesn't happen. It's soooo sad when sewing machine repair men, watch makers, gun smiths, and other tradesmen die and they've not left all that knowledge to anyone.

I'm learning too. I don't plan on quitting till the day I die. Sadly, I have no one to leave my knowledge too. And that breaks my heart.

Glenn,

Got it apart. I lucked out in two ways. First the Elmer's Carpenter glue had not fully solidified and second I hadn't sanded the old wood as good as I thought. Much of the old glue was still there and the Elmer's stuck to that instead of the wood.
    Minimal damage. Was sanding it to the real wood this time when my wife came home with food. Will get back to it later.

Joe
    I figure someone will find the info on here and it will have been passed down. MiriAm

Joe,
    I vote for a bigger hammer most anytime. VBG

A number of years ago when I was going through a burnout in my dental job. I decided to take a year off and take machine shop classes at the local community college. Number one lesson was use a big hammer, especially to tighten the drill press or lathe chuck. That sure went against everything my mom had taught me.

Cathy

[QUOTE=
    Sometimes you gotta outsmart these things, or get a bigger hammer ........
    Joe[/QUOTE]

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Joe,
    I vote for a bigger hammer most anytime. VBG

A number of years ago when I was going through a burnout in my dental job. I decided to take a year off and take machine shop classes at the local community college. Number one lesson was use a big hammer, especially to tighten the drill press or lathe chuck. That sure went against everything my mom had taught me.

Cathy
    Never force it get a bigger hammer.

Miriam,

The 115 has a rotary hook and the 15 oscillating. They look darn near identical on the outside.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Charlee, what is the difference between a 115 and a 15?

Miriam,

Ya missing the tongue in the cheek.

Cathy

Never force it get a bigger hammer.

Blog Entries
    Miriam,

Cathy
    My hubby has said that about installing windows for years. I don't mean the computer kind of windows either.

Blog Entries
    Miriam,

Cathy
    My hubby has said that about installing windows for years. I don't mean the computer kind of windows either.

Blog Entries
    Miriam,

The 115 has a rotary hook and the 15 oscillating. They look darn near identical on the outside.

Cathy
    OH I see, but we may need to explain that a bit for some who are lurking. http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/02/...-vertical.aspx - good explanation.
    Last edited by miriam; 03-03-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Miriam,

I just was ready to post that link when your edited post came up. Jenny does a great job of explaining things.
    And there is no need to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. Thanks.

Cathy

OH I see, but we may need to explain that a bit for some who are lurking. http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/02/...-vertical.aspx - good explanation.

Blog Entries
    Hi Joe, I am glad you got it apart. They usually come apart easily in the first 24 hours. But sometimes you just have to break them and make new parts.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    I just checked the Ismacs' Singer charts and wonder if I copied the number down incorrectly. I have L6672586 and it doesn't go up that high, (only to the 1 million). I'll have to go back to double check, but I'm wondering if I'm just reading the chart incorrectly? It's my parents and my Dad is interested in the model and "birth year." It's in their basement storage area. I took pictures, but it's with my sister's IPOD and they didn't turn out too good. It has the Sphinx on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Please post your pet's - past and present -pictures at http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ds-t32280.html

Blog Entries
    Name:  Mowgli after surgery.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  1.66 MB
    Miriam since I am laid up watching Mowgli, your stories have kept me entertained! You should write a book!To those asking, Mowgli is doing ok. We didn't get any sleep last night. He is in a lot of pain and can't figure out why that hood is on his head and why he can't seem to get up - but, he is a trooper. He is doing a little better today, he can get up on 3 legs, but all the pain medicine has made him sick so I am giving him yogert with a syringe. He will be much better in a few days!Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 03-03-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Miriam,

I just was ready to post that link when your edited post came up. Jenny does a great job of explaining things.
    And there is no need to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. Thanks.

Cathy
    I love it when someone explains it better than I can. She has a good website. I am looking for needle guards - affordable and I don't need 100 of them.