Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-16-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I brought home a little machine Thursday night, front says Sewrite, back says Regal. It was free in small cabinet. Notice the small/little reference. The motor is gone. My question is, can I put a Kenmore motor on it? And if I do, will it work right? Camera dead or I would post pics. Then yesterday I drove down to Columbus, OH and picked up a red eye treadle, dirty, but decals, irons in great shape. Cabinet needs work. I also brought home 2 Kenmores. Now I have 4 machines sitting in my kitchen. My son just shook his head and went home after unloading.
:-D I know what you mean. I am seeing so many machines now! I think I'm in that "oh, must get them all" phase. I think this is going to be known as "that summer I went crazy and bought all those sewing machines."

I have seen sewing machines where former owners put different brand motors/sewing machines together. If the motor is good, fits without getting in the way of anything, and a belt fits right, it might just be a matter of cosmetics as to whether or not you would want to use it.

I don't know any specifics on yours though. Does the machine have anything wired through it into a motor? (I'm used to mine that have built in motors rather than belts/separate motors).
Old 07-16-2011, 06:28 AM

No name on the Salesman sample machine, just says antique salesman sample sewing machine in the listing for the auction. I guess you know that I'll have to be there to see that go or have.

The Singer 9W on CL is the same machine that a local auction house has, but that one has Wheeler & Wilson on the badge. Did Wheeler & Wilson make them for Singer?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 AM

There is a bracket that used to hold a motor. That's what made me think maybe I could put a different brand motor on it, as long a the "new" motor fit properly.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:49 AM

Lee, that salesman sample is really cute. I would go for it if the
price is reasonable, what the heck, I would go for it if the price was not reasonable. Kathie
Old 07-16-2011, 08:00 AM

Lee, I'd grab it too. Let us know if it comes home with you or not.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 AM

I was reading another post about humility blocks and I went to the article at the top of the page they have machine quilting history.

Check out the treadle quilting frame its awesome.
http://hartcottagequilts.com/his9.htm

Look at the advertisement for H.T Davis frame
Quilt a quilt in 3 hours lol!!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:52 AM

Often, anything that is small is listed as a "salesman sample". To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a salesman sample sewing machine. (The minute I say "never", I will be proved wrong!)
There were many, many sewing machine manufacturers back in the late 18 and early 1900's. Some of the small machines were toys, others were marketed for home use. Most of the really small home use machines were really not worth much as sewing machines, which is why they survived in such good shape. (The same goes for toy machines.)

Singer bought out Wheeler and Wilson in the early 1900's, but because the WW9 was such a popular machine, they continued to make them for a time under the Singer name.
The later 9W machines used Featherweight style bobbins and fit in a standard Singer treadle, but the needle size remained 127x1, which was easy to get until recently. I have not tried the replacement needles (bought my stash before they became obsolete), but others have and say they work for them.
Originally Posted by lee231
No name on the Salesman sample machine, just says antique salesman sample sewing machine in the listing for the auction. I guess you know that I'll have to be there to see that go or have.

The Singer 9W on CL is the same machine that a local auction house has, but that one has Wheeler & Wilson on the badge. Did Wheeler & Wilson make them for Singer?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 AM

I hope to look at this machine tomorrow but want to have some information before hand. Does anyone know have any idea what this machine may be. The seller does not have any more pictures and I am waiting for him to answer my questions.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/atq/2493323362.html

Now to go back and read all the posts for the last 2 days. I love this shop.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:59 AM

I have a Singer 320 (camless freearm) that came with a European motor/light harness. I took the motor and harness off and replaced with a similar colored motor off a 15 clone. Works for me. I have a light to put on it as well, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I brought home a little machine Thursday night, front says Sewrite, back says Regal. It was free in small cabinet. Notice the small/little reference. The motor is gone. My question is, can I put a Kenmore motor on it? And if I do, will it work right? Camera dead or I would post pics. Then yesterday I drove down to Columbus, OH and picked up a red eye treadle, dirty, but decals, irons in great shape. Cabinet needs work. I also brought home 2 Kenmores. Now I have 4 machines sitting in my kitchen. My son just shook his head and went home after unloading.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 AM

Thanks Miz Johnny! I think I will try making a hybrid.

Quilt addict, I know nothing about the machine but if I was closer I would bring it home!