Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Originally Posted by purplefiend
The bottom picture is my solution to the problem of no light on the machine, it works great and didn't cost me
anything extra as DH had an extra head lamp.
Sharon Weaver
That is my hubby's favorite gadget. He would surely miss it if I snatched his. Still great idea. Maybe I can ask for one for Christmas. Have you tried wearing it and sewing? Did that work too?
Annaquilts,
I've tried wearing it while I sew and it gives me a headache. Putting it on the machine worked better for me.
They're not that expensive, I think it was about $7-10;
it says Energizer on the strap and the light is hinged so its adjustable.
Sharon
Old 10-22-2010, 02:56 AM
Power Poster

I bought one of these:
http://www.sewforless.com/item/Benda..._Machines/7436

They are more expensive than the headset light, but they are LED, so very cool to work with, fully adjustable, and what I really liked was that I could buy extra brackets, and just move the one light to different machines. Extra bonuses - the brackets are removeable, so won't damage vintage machines, and they run on electricity, so no having to replace batteries.

I have two brackets on my FWs now, so when I am done sewing, I can pick them up and pack them away in their boxes without any danger of burning my hands.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I bought one of these:

They are more expensive than the headset light, but they are LED, so very cool to work with, fully adjustable, and what I really liked was that I could buy extra brackets, and just move the one light to different machines. Extra bonuses - the brackets are removeable, so won't damage vintage machines, and they run on electricity, so no having to replace batteries.

I have two brackets on my FWs now, so when I am done sewing, I can pick them up and pack them away in their boxes without any danger of burning my hands.
Lacelady,
How do the brackets attach to the machine? I don't want anything adhesive on my vintage/antique machines.
I don't think it would work with my Singer 15-90,
it threads differently than my other treadles or my FWs.
The head lamp works with any of my machines except for my new Viking, which has great lighting built in.
The head light is LED too, so it doesn't get hot.
Sharon W.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I thought you might like to see my sewing chair I use with the redeye. It was the chair my wife's grandma used when she sewed with the redeye. It was already painted so I just spruced it up a bit. Glenn
Very pretty Glenn you did a good job.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:24 AM

There is an auction on the 30th that my DH & I are going to. They have a 503A in a cabinet. Anybody have any ideas how much is reasonable to bid up to on this machine?

http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/962113/fp49.cgi
Old 10-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Lacelady
I bought one of these:

Lacelady,
How do the brackets attach to the machine? I don't want anything adhesive on my vintage/antique machines.
I don't think it would work with my Singer 15-90,
it threads differently than my other treadles or my FWs.
The head lamp works with any of my machines except for my new Viking, which has great lighting built in.
The head light is LED too, so it doesn't get hot.
Sharon W.
They are a plastic disc with a ridge around the edge of it for the light to clip into, but yes, they have an adhesive back. The instructions say that they are removable/transferrable: ' Apply a few drops of Goo Gone, let set for 2 minutes to soften adhesive. Lift the bracket slowly, once removed, set aside with the adhesive side up. After 15 mins, when the Goo Gone has evaporated, the bracket can be reapplied if required.'
Old 10-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aorlflood
There is an auction on the 30th that my DH & I are going to. They have a 503A in a cabinet. Anybody have any ideas how much is reasonable to bid up to on this machine?

That is a beautiful cabinet - a really nice piece of furniture. I have no idea on price, I suppose its what you are willing to pay.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:34 AM

Does anyone know how to get the stitch regulator screw on my redeye to turn mine is froze up. I have tried penetrating oil but it didn't budge it. My stitches are itty bitty and I would like them a smidge bigger. Thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by sew.annie
Does anyone know how to get the stitch regulator screw on my redeye to turn mine is froze up. I have tried penetrating oil but it didn't budge it. My stitches are itty bitty and I would like them a smidge bigger. Thanks
Sometimes it takes a bit longer to free up some of the screws.
It took me about a week of soaking to get the throat plate screws off of my 301.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood

I don't but hope you can get it the cabinet is beautiful and the machine looks as if it has been well taken care of.