Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Okay, I finally got around to posting photos of my Singer cabinet conversion here on the Quilting Board.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130940-1.htm#3493496

I have it under tutorials since I couldn't figure out how to post in the Vintage Machine Shop area.
The title is Conversion of Singer treadle cabinet.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by jljack
And here is the 99 I got on auction with the Lotus decals. This is the pic from the website. I don't have it yet. This is the one I want to re-treadle.
Janice, are you sure that is a 99? The Redeye decal and the Lotus decal's were only used on the 66.

Nancy
Sorry...I been talking about my 99 and had it on my mind. You are correct. The one I just won is a 66 Lotus.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I won the bid at Shopgoodwill.com! I know nothing about this machine. But I thought it looked really cool and bid on it. Got it for $6.00 plus shipping - total of $23.68. Not bad. I think I might just be getting a little pathetic, now I am buying based on looks!
There is a National (see I thought I remembered seeing another one) that looks just like this on ShopGoodwill.com.

Actually there are several very nice looking machines on that website right now. A really nice red eye on the last page, and a Model 15 that Singer shows is a 28 from 1910 on page 3, I think. Really clean and nice. Also a Spartan (I bid $30 last time, but they had a reserve on it and it didn't sell).

And here is the 99 I got on auction with the Lotus decals. This is the pic from the website. I don't have it yet. This is the one I want to re-treadle.

Janice,
Are you sure this is a 99 and not a 66-1 with the back clamp.
I have only seen Singer 66-1 with the Lotus decals and back clamps, never seen a 99 that way. Here is the link to Singer:
http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers
Yes, it's a 66-1. I had been talking about my 99 just before, and typed the wrong thing!! LOL
Old 06-16-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I would suggest that you join www.treadleon.net There is lots of good information that will show you how to do what you
are asking about. I never had to drill any holes for my machines as I have 3 Singer treadle cabinets. So I have no personal experience with doing it myself, not a woodworking gal, I handle the machines.
The following link shows you how to adapt a tabletop so that you can put a treadle machine in/on it.

http://www.treadleon.net/woodshop/tr...readletop.html

I'd like to see it when you're done.
Sharon W. in Texas
Hey Sharon!!! Thanks LOADS for that link. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Luckily someone on this board that I know has offered me the original top of a treadle with all the holes cut into it. I think it will make it much easier!! :-)
Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by miriam
looks like a 503 to me - only has the one knob on top - my DIL LOVES hers - her mom said she hated to sew - until I gave her a 503... I have to admit I didn't think she would sew so I gave her one I scrapped together for $5 - it was missing the doors and only had a few cams... She got her hands on it and she says she fell in love. Then I tried to trade her a 401 and she said NO WAY. She named the 503 Margaret after her grandma. DIL said "She is old and missing parts but she still gets things done." And she says "She was very fashionable in her day." The machine or the grandma??? Gotta love that gal!!! I keep giving her cams and a buttonholer for gifts. She quilted her old child hood t-shirts together one day and was so excited.
Miriam, what a nice story! I also love my 503a, but I thought I had read somewhere to never sew without a cam in the machine? I have never tried to even sew a straight stitch without the '0' cam. Are you sure the 503a can sew a straight stitch with no cam inserted at all?

Nancy
Well, my 403 sews with out a cam... Shouldn't be any different on a 503 - test it out just for giggles and let me know - It sure doesn't zig zag without a cam.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:56 AM

Hi

I'm not sure if this picture will come through. If it does, can anyone tell me what model this might be and if the cord is a replacement?

Thanks!
Nancy

(cord looks like an old iron cord to me)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]212317[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-212311.jpe  
Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 AM

My sister bought me a Singer Buttonholer 1939-1940 for a Lock Stitch machine. It is in excellent condition. Will post a picture tonight. Anyone know anythign about it? I dont' suppose it can be used on my regular machines, huh?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
Well I got the belt for my Singer 9W. And I don't know how to put it on! Can someone please direct me? I also am looking for a manual for it.
You thread it through the holes for the belt in the cabinet. Make sure that you put a clothespin on the one end so that it stays put while you're threading the rest of it through the treadle wheel,belt guide and back up through the hand wheel.
You'll have to shorten the belt, they are too long when you buy them.
Here's more directions on the Treadleon website.
http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...eadlebelt.html

Also a youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGuctAaRDc

Sharon W. in Texas
Did you tell her about the dental floss? It is easier and faster to sew the belt together with dental floss. It holds well. Purplefiend, Sharon, told us about it. Next day, all my belts had that metal staple gone and floss in place...no clanking anymore. :)
I forgot about the dental floss. I buy the cheapest waxed dental floss I can find to sew my treadle belts together; no more dealing with the staple. I use a large eyed tapestry needle to sew my treadle belts together. Cut off about a yard of floss and double it, thread it through the needle and proceed to sew the belt together; pass the needle through the holes in the belt 4-5 times and tie it off in a double square knot and cut off excess.
Sharon W. in Texas
Old 06-16-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
My sister bought me a Singer Buttonholer 1939-1940 for a Lock Stitch machine. It is in excellent condition. Will post a picture tonight. Anyone know anythign about it? I dont' suppose it can be used on my regular machines, huh?
I don't know if it will work with a zig zag machine as the feed dogs are wider than the Singer straight stitch machines. If your regular machines are a short shank, it might work.
Sharon W.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by amBoo
Hi

I'm not sure if this picture will come through. If it does, can anyone tell me what model this might be and if the cord is a replacement?

Thanks!
Nancy
Its a Singer 128/28, the cord maybe original.