Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
There's quite a bit of information by Damascusannie right under the photo. She knows a LOT about National machines!!
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Found a machine like this in a consignment store. Does anyone know anything about a Coronado? I like the turn wheel on it for some silly reason. The person is asking $75 but without me trying to dicker the price she lowered it to $50. It has the cabinet also like the one in the photo. Any info would be much appreciated! :-D

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...134120239.html
Right! I caught that 'after' I posted. I am thinking I may for go this machine. It doesn't interest me like others do. Oh dear, am I getting picky?
:-D :-D
Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 PM

It looks like you have quite a few back clamping (for 66-1) attachments; not sure what else. If you have trouble finding a 27 shuttle, let me know.
I'm going to be away for a couple of days; going off to Ohio to play machines with like-minded folk!!

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Well, I finally took the time to look at the Singer 27 I picked up at an auction. Actually a friend picked it up for me. If I had been there I would have passed, but...
The bobbin shuttle is not for this machine....too long. It has tons of attachments probably not for this machine either. Patent dates on the plate say Dec 5 1882; Sept 22 1885; July 19 1887; Aug 21 1888; Jan 13, 1891.
Here are a couple pics:
Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by debs
Howdy Billy And everyone,

About 2 weeks ago I asked Billy about a Singer in a bentwood case that I saw in an antique store, I haven't gone back to get it yet. Then I showed my husband some of the beautifully restored old timers and he said you know we have one in our old trailer. Nope I didn't remember it, so we went and uncovered it and guess what? Its a singer treadle 66 made July 28th in Elizabeth, NJ. :thumbup: :thumbup: I'm doing a happy dance and can't for the life of me remember from wence she came! So we have a restoration job ahead and I'll send photos this weekend, of the condition it is in now. :oops: Can't believe we can't remember we had it or where it came from. Could it be old age? :thumbdown:
Debs & Hemi
No, no, no... it is not old age... it IS busy minds with volumes of things to do and information gets sidetracked... or something like that!!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 PM

It seems the Admiral machine I posted on page 1285 was made by Brother. It looks like a Necchi, but I can see the differences, too. H-m-m.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Works for me!!

LOL!!! I love it!! That works for me too!

I have been known to feed my children ice cream for breakfast.
That works for me too![/quote]

I do that - well smoothies....
here my favorite smoothie recipe - for 2 people
yogurt
bananas
applesauce
avocado (DH does not know it's in there - makes it VERY smooth)
blueberries or strawberries
almond butter
Quick
add more milk or yogurt to get the amount you want
so blend it!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 AM

It looks like you have quite a few back clamping (for 66-1) attachments; not sure what else. If you have trouble finding a 27 shuttle, let me know.
I'm going to be away for a couple of days; going off to Ohio to play machines with like-minded folk!!

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Well, I finally took the time to look at the Singer 27 I picked up at an auction. Actually a friend picked it up for me. If I had been there I would have passed, but...
The bobbin shuttle is not for this machine....too long. It has tons of attachments probably not for this machine either. Patent dates on the plate say Dec 5 1882; Sept 22 1885; July 19 1887; Aug 21 1888; Jan 13, 1891.
Here are a couple pics:
Do you have a length I could go by? I have a couple machines with shuttles (none of them the size of the one that came in the puzzle box.
Also, I looks to me that some of these attachments are bent. At least it looks that way to me! The puzzle box is quite a piece of workmanship! It has places to insert attachments so they stay in place. Just wish I knew what belonged to this machine and what doesn't. There are tons of machine needles...again, not sure if they fit this machine. Look pretty small in my opinion. Also there is a plate that is narrower than this machines plate. Looks like it could fit my Davis. No manual for this machine, so will be looking for one. And the tension looks incomplete also. Need pictures of this to determine for sure.I think I forgot to say earlier that my 27 dates 2-6-1905!
Hope to find time this weekend to take a look at the 66 I have ...a 1926 date.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by SerendipiD
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
The plastic is so light that it unwinds differently (beacuse of FYI: The metal bobbins don't work n the plastic machines either. Don't ask how I know that.
Just to add to this conversation. I've had great luck in finding ebay auctions for very little... that have boxes of bobbins/parts.
I was just looking on Ebay, but I am having a hard time telling from some of the pictures what the bobbins are?? Do I just guess, because a few of them look like what I need? The one auction, in particular, has a bunch of different kinds of bobbins - so there should be a few in there that I can use? Right??? :D

D~
Well... first identify which class of bobbins you need, and about from what era. Then look for auctions of misc. parts that have bobbins included. My Singer 27 and the 127 both are VS machines and take 'long' bobbins. But I noticed the other day that the bobbin is slightly different (I bought both machines with shuttles and one original bobbin in the shuttle). My old 66-6 takes an older class 66 round bobbin, the 15-91 and my Japanese made 15 both take class 15 bobbins - but so does my 15-30 treadle. But the treadle bobbins are heavier, and solid... while the newer 15's take the bobbins with the holes around the circumference. (Hope that makes sense!). Then I watch for those auctions that show me something that helps me 'date' and 'style' the bobbins. Like say... the old green singer boxes versus the older white plain 'rotary' boxes that the attachments came in. But to be honest, since I have one or two machine of each class, I can pick up almost any older set of bobbins and they'll work for me in something. lol.

What machines do you have? Maybe we can help 'find' links for good bets, to give you an idea of what we look for.

Another thought... you can also post a 'wanted' ad for bobbins of the type/age you need. Gotta be someone on here (probably me!) with more old bobbins then they really need. !!!
Well, I have a 1950+ (serial starts with AL) 15-91, so it takes class 15 bobbins. If that helps any. I will take some time this afternoon to scour Ebay and see what I can find. :) I will take help if anyone feels like helping me look. ;)

D~
Old 07-08-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by lee231
LindaR

It's a ruffler, I have one just about like it with the knob on the top. Mine came with a Ruby treadle that I just got, this ruffler doesn't have the option of ever sixth or twelveth stitch like the newer ones do, it only rufflers every stitch. Mine is the bottom clamp type that was used on many of the White machines.
now that I know I think I will try it...it came with alot of different stuff I have no idea what to do with. LOL, parts that don't clamp to the machine but to another part???? They are so much fun, I learned on a treadle and brings back memories. My DD got one 3 months ago and still hasn't got it up and running, she does work odd hours so she has an excuse, "it just looks pretty mother" LOL
Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Yup! They were frugal back then. I too picked up a machine with many of the bobbins having multiple colored threads. I now use that thread in basting my quilts. Quick way to recycle the thread and empty the bobbins.
Monica, I never thought to recycle that old thread by using it to baste. I just take it off all the old bobbins and toss it in the garbage. You all please don't make something important with the old thread from those bobbins or spools. The project you make will come apart at the seams after being washed one or more times because thread gets rotten! I went through all my Mom's old Dual Duty before she left and threw it all out! Mom was very frugal and had thread that was 30 + years old because she never wasted anything. I could not stand the idea of Mom making something beautiful with nice fabric only to have to fall apart because she wanted to save money and use old thread! It is not worth it to make a beautiful project only to have the old rotten thread fall apart down the road!

Nancy
Old 07-08-2011, 05:23 AM

Janice please let us know what happened with your 66-1 Lotus - when you find out where she is that is! I hope all turns out well!

Debs finding the 66 in the trailer is pretty neat! What year is your 66 and what decal? Picture please!

Grandmother23, that FW listed on Craigslist for $75 was probably gone before you posted it to our group! What a steal that was for someone!

Randa, beautiful 27 with the sphinx decals!

Nancy